EFL Stats Fullbacks (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Thread starting now, loved the CB and CM ones they did.

Here’s the first post, tackling:

Dabo slap bang in the middle, Giles very high tackles won, but not as many attempted as McCallum.

I’ll post the other stats as they come up

shmmeee

Fouls next, bottom right of the line is good (fewer fouls committed, more won), and all three of our boys are there, Sam and Ryan taking the two good top spots:

shmmeee

Interceptions and blocks:

McCallum most interceptions in the division (for a full back), Dabo and Giles both pretty poor. Dabo not made a single block all season if I’m reading that right.

Im guessing a lot of this is down to the fact we play wingbacks and they’re mostly concerned with stopping crosses.

Evo1883

Stats can be deceiving can't they?
Level of opposition, formation in the match, left or right side , players played against down either left or right side, the same side may not play the same wingers 2 matches in a row for example,leaving a different fullback with a different level of opposition.

I feel like there are so many stats today, many of them can be manipulated and deceiving it's almost hard to take seriously.

For me what I feel is, with Giles we attack better, with Sam we defend better.
Dabo back from injury underperformed in some matches so reflects on the stats... Again a way they are deceiving.

They are useful and useless all rolled in one

shmmeee

Stats can be deceiving can't they?
Level of opposition, formation in the match, left or right side , players played against down either left or right side, the same side may not play the same wingers 2 matches in a row for example,leaving a different fullback with a different level of opposition.

I feel like there are so many stats today, many of them can be manipulated and deceiving it's almost hard to take seriously.

For me what I feel is, with Giles we attack better, with Sam we defend better.
Dabo back from injury underperformed in some matches so reflects on the stats... Again a way they are deceiving.

They are useful and useless all rolled in one

Not all that can be counted counts and not all that counts can be counted. But as you say they tell you something, even if it’s just the start of a question to follow up.

Plus it’s nice having players top of the league in something. Even if we have to slice the data like a fugu fish to find it.

Evo1883

Example, you look at these stats Screenshot_20210114-223836.png

Many would argue pogba has been underwhelming at United and many would argue de bruyne is the world's best midfielder... Which one would you choose, I'd choose de bruyne every day of the week because you know... He's a better player

Sometimes stats don't tell you what you see... Zidane never had many goals and assists a season, but you saw his effect on the pitch, you watched him play and were took back at his Brilliance, but players had more assists and goals even back then in the same role etc... It is what it is

shmmeee

Example, you look at these stats View attachment 18246

Many would argue pogba has been underwhelming at United and many would argue de bruyne is the world's best midfielder... Which one would you choose, I'd choose de bruyne every day of the week because you know... He's a better player

Yeah and if you judge a fish by it’s ability to ride a bicycle it’ll always fail. (Honesty don’t know what’s up with me and these quotes this thread)

You have to pick stats that matter for the role you want a player to play. And even then they won’t tell you everything, but you’ve got to admit our scouting process has improved since we started using data.

Evo1883

Yeah and if you judge a fish by it’s ability to ride a bicycle it’ll always fail. (Honesty don’t know what’s up with me and these quotes this thread)

You have to pick stats that matter for the role you want a player to play. And even then they won’t tell you everything, but you’ve got to admit our scouting process has improved since we started using data.

Yea, its been better in the last 3 years... We still have some questionable signings which prove stats can't always be a factor in what you will actually see on the pitch

shmmeee

Short passes:

McCallum very low on attempts and completion Dabo and Giles virtually identical positions in the middle of the pack

Evo1883

IMG_20210114_225735.png steve Walsh says it best...
For me Giles can have a pass completion of 60% but if he whips in 3 crosses that lead to goals (which they could have and should have on occasion) that's the more important stat.

I'm not a big fans of the stats if I'm honest,some are very important ofcourse,I see what I see
Where did the defender win the header, did it prevent a goal, did it prevent a flick on through ball, was it near the halfway or edge of box... Where did he block it? Etc etc...its all a bit too simplistic and can be a bit damming without really being in context of a situation

Modern stats are particularly damming on the old fashioned hold the ball up striker who brings others into play... They always look awful on stat pages

I can however appreciate alot of people love statistics

I saw one stat on opta Joe once about how many games pep has a managed on his birthday or something along them lines... Who the bloody hell cares lol

Last edited:

shmmeee

I see this a lot in my job, data skepticism, it all boils down to “it’s not perfect you know!!!!11”.

Yes, we know. All models are wrong. However, some models are useful.

Stats based recruitment consistently outperforms the old way. It works.

People don’t like to think data works because they like magic and all that, but it does consistently across loads of fields.

shmmeee

Anyway, fell asleep before I finished last night,

long passes:

Giles has great accuracy, Dabo never does them

KenilworthSkyBlue

In the scouting process stats are simply part of the puzzle. To have an effective scouting model and more be consistent in the transfer market you simply have to use them. Peterborough and Brentford's scouting models prove this.

Of course, you have to understand the context behind them - which comes from watching players personally - but at the same time you can't discredit their importance to sourcing players.

Last edited:

shmmeee

In the scouting process stats are simply part of the puzzle. To have an effective scouting model and more consistent in the transfer market you simply have to use them. Peterborough and Brentford's scouting models prove this.

Of course, you have to understand the context behind them - which comes from watching players personally - but at the same time you can't discredit their importance to sourcing players.

I think that’s the point. We have a phrase “metrics that matter” at my work, and we never make data only decisions but data driven decisions. Data gives you a chance to find things you wouldn’t notice or areas of concern to look into. And is a good bulwark against bias as we’ve seen with “Sheaf always gives the ball away” :p

hill83

Whilst I find stats like this boring myself it’s better than using feelings and reckons to judge players when it come to scouting and recruitment. And for winning arguments in match or transfer threads.

shmmeee

Pretty clear from that, that McCallum is exceptional. Of all the players in the side I think he will play at the highest level. Not per se the most talented, but has the attributes to succeed in the PL. His progression from the start of last season to now is so impressive.

I think it’s obvious he’s out best defensive be full back. Giles very good attacking wingback though.

I’m wondering if Dabos rusty start of hurting him. I’d like so see more chances created from him and last season I’d have thought that was one of his strengths.

lord_garrincha

Whilst I find stats like this boring myself it’s better than using feelings and reckons to judge players
If someone was on my table in a pub spouting out those stats I would be going straight to the bar... The 'stats that matter' are:

- Does he put his foot in?
- Is he no nonsense?
- Does he show up when it's 'backs to the wall'?
- Does he put his head in 'where it hurts'? and
- Does he not have a bleeding stupid haircut?

I can't understand why the nerds at Opta haven't quantified them 5 critical analytics yet!

shmmeee

If someone was on my table in a pub spouting out those stats I would be going straight to the bar... The 'stats that matter' are:

- Is he no nonsense?

I can't understand why the nerds at Opta haven't quantified them 5 critical analytics yet!

Kyle McFadzean was soooo close to meeting all of these. Just fell at the last hurdle.

Brighton Sky Blue

- Is he no nonsense?

‘He thinks he’s in the U23s’ always makes me chuckle

fernandopartridge

Pretty clear from that, that McCallum is exceptional. Of all the players in the side I think he will play at the highest level. Not per se the most talented, but has the attributes to succeed in the PL. His progression from the start of last season to now is so impressive.

Agreed, he's a very solid performer given his relative inexperience, looks like he's been playing at this level for years.

Briles

Evidence there thats fans only remember the exciting parts of players play, which is why dabo gets more plaudits than mcallum. Interesting stats those, thanks for sharing.

Hertsccfc

McCallum has been great in my view and so underrated by many. I can also see him playing at the highest level. He is well ahead of Giles especially defensively.

However, for me Hamer is our stand out player and Dabo is next. Hamer already looks like Premier League player. Dabo's stats are affected by his slow start as he was not fully fit.

shmmeee

McCallum has been great in my view and so underrated by many. I can also see him playing at the highest level. He is well ahead of Giles especially defensively.

However, for me Hamer is our stand out player and Dabo is next. Hamer already looks like Premier League player. Dabo's stats are affected by his slow start as he was not fully fit.

Defensively he’s fine and aerially he’s great, but as a wing back he just doesn’t offer enough going forward for me. The ideal wing back would be McCallum with Giles pace and willingness to get forward.

Users who are viewing this thread