Early exit for Young Lions (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

englandunder21_2611766.jpg

England Under-21's have failed to progress from the group stage of the Under-21 European Championships after a 2-1 defeat to Czech Republic.

Stuart Pearce's youngsters required three points to overhaul their opponents, and looked set to do so as Danny Welbeck broke the deadlock on 76 minutes.

Needing only a draw, the Czechs upped their game after falling behind and were on equal terms again on 89 minutes as substitute Jan Chramosta poked in from close range.

As Pearce's side looked to regain the lead, the Czechs capitalised on leaks in their defence and former Tottenham player Tomas Pekhart tapped in a late winner to condemn England's fate.

England needed a dramatic improvement on their opening two draws against Spain and Ukraine to avoid crashing out of the competition, especially playing a side who had been unbeaten in qualifying.

There was certainly more of an attacking shape about Pearce's line-up, with Daniel Sturridge and Cleverley taking up advanced positions.

Slow start

After a slow start, a lovely interchange of passes was finished by Sturridge in the eighth minute but the flag was already up.

Sturridge released Danny Welbeck three minutes later but the striker's fizzing drive was too close to Tomas Vaclik.

England needed a brilliant save from Frankie Fielding to avoid falling behind in the 17th minute, the goalkeeper tipping over Marecek's dipping half-volley from Kozak's knockdown.

The Czechs then enjoyed a brief spell of possession but when England got the ball back, they put together their best move of the tournament, Cleverley volleying Ryan Bertrand's cross into the sidenetting.

Neither side really imposed themselves for the remainder of the half until the 41st minute, when Sinclair cut inside from the left and unleashed a blistering drive tipped over by Vaclik.

England badly needed some inspiration and Sturridge tried to provide it when he chipped a 40-yard free-kick just over the bar.

That was just a taster as the breakthrough finally arrived 14 minutes from time.

Opener

A decent spell of possession culminated in a brilliant inswinging cross from the right from Sturridge, with Welbeck bulleting a header past the flailing Vaclik.

Marc Albrighton replaced Cleverley and Lansbury almost settled the contest when he drilled a free-kick narrowly wide.

Marek Suchy was booked for a blatant body check on Welbeck, who could have had a second after a goalmouth scramble.

With their own semi-final dream on the line, the Czechs made a desperate double substitution and one of the newcomers, Jan Chramosta, did nod wide.

England, who threw on Danny Rose for Sinclair late on, looked like holding out but disaster struck in the 90th minute.

Marcel Gecov was allowed to carry the ball into the box and his cross took a wicked deflection off Welbeck, allowing Chrasmosta to lift the ball over Fielding.

England might have had a stoppage-time penalty when Sturridge was brought down but the flag was already up for offside.

And their misery was complete with the final kick of the game when Pekhart, another substitute, converted Chramosta's cross.

bamalamafizzfazz

Probably blame this on Wilshere and Carroll not being there. The performance at this tournament has been very disappointing. For me Pearce got it all wrong and the team should have been more attacking.

Sky Blue Luke

Agreed, tactically Pearce is piss poor. Henderson was awful, Sturridge was pretty good, Walker and Smalling were great (compared) and Phil Jones was our MOTT imo.

United really have bagged a brilliant player.

ccfcdan

Same old England, look great on paper then can't pull it together on the pitch! Will we ever win a major trophy again? I seriously doubt it!

Macca

All the same problems as the senior side. No chance of tournament success for a generation at least

Sky Blue Luke

The U17's were a completely different story btw, very impressive v Rwanda last night.

Raheem Sterling is going to be an amazing player. Wouldn't mind him on loan here next season :p

bamalamafizzfazz

Slightly unfair to say that Henderson was awful, I think he was asked to play a different game to what he has become accustomed to at Sunderland this season. I would have liked to see him given the creator role in Wilshere's absence but like you have said Pearce's tactics were off. I don't think that it is a completely negative experience for the players as they will all learn and grow from the experience.
Completely agree about Walker, he showed at Villa last season that he is quality and it wouldn't surprise me if he plays for Tottenham this season. He has done himself no harm in this tournament at all.
It's good to see the youngsters shining at under 17 level though and hopefully there is something in the future to look forward to, I saw that Sterling play in a Liverpool reserve game not so long agao and despite being so young really shone through and looked a bit special.

Paxman II

Pearce is tactically inept for me. Defensive mined and some of his picks are in my opinion never likely to get you a victory.

A tournament when these players should be on a beach.

cloughie

I have always thought that England or for that matter any team, should play their players to the strengths that they were chosen for in the first place., whether that be under 21s or full team. A certain Mr Boothroyd said he played a certain style due to the players he had at his disposal. Then AT came in and played the players to their strengths. That won't necessarily make us world beaters ,but look at the difference AT made with the same players . Bye bye Pearce.

Marty

I don't watch England anymore, mainly down to the fact they serve up shite game after game, average prem players like Henderson are lauded as some kind of superstar as he got a big money move to liverpool, they get far to much to young, players seem to have no ambition or drive anymore, it's all about the money for them which is wrong,

English players all want to be the hero, watching them spraying 50 yard balls to nobody pisses me off so much, watch the spanish, 10 yard passes all the time, all to feet, all have excellent control, it's basic football skills, yet they make it look so good as they have those basic skills of football down to a tee. most of the time they aren't doing anything other then basic pass and move.

I've made my views clear in a number of other threads so i won't bore people by repeating myself anymore.

Last edited:

cloughie

Marty exactly my point look what AT did at City last season made them pass and move, if we can see it it always boggles my mind as to why so called professionals can't . Oh I forgot ignorant fans don't understand the game.

Paxman II

I don't watch England anymore, mainly down to the fact they serve up shite game after game, average prem players like Henderson are lauded as some kind of superstar as he got a big money move to liverpool, they get far to much to young, players seem to have no ambition or drive anymore, it's all about the money for them which is wrong,

English players all want to be the hero, watching them spraying 50 yard balls to nobody pisses me off so much, watch the spanish, 10 yard passes all the time, all to feet, all have excellent control, it's basic football skills, yet they make it look so good as they have those basic skills of football down to a tee. most of the time they aren't doing anything other then basic pass and move.

I've made my views clear in a number of other threads so i won't bore people by repeating myself anymore.

:claping hands:

egastap

All the same problems as the senior side. No chance of tournament success for a generation at least

Macca, as a generation is considered to be 25 years, we haven't had a decent side for how many generations already? I see the rest of the world acccelerating past us and the 3rd world overtaking us.

Disorganised1

But I'm sure I've heard all the 'experts' saying on telivision that we have such a great side packed with talented players. Surely you're not suggesting they could be in error ? Or is it because they pick up their million pound salaries promoting the careers of their mates to a bunch of people who never attend matches ?

CovScott88

Walker, Jones, Smalling and Sturridge were the only positives from the tournament. Yes, we were missing a few big players, but we still underachieved.
How the hell players like Michael Mancienne and Danny Rose got in the side ahead of Jack Rodwell, Fabrice Muamba, Scott Sinclair and Henri Lansbury I will never know. Pearce is just too defensive and tactically inept.

Users who are viewing this thread