Downside to Media Attention (1 Viewer)

Big_Ben

I've been watching things develop (unravel) over the past what seems like forever.
Because I live over 200 miles away, I can't get to see City more than a couple of times a year, but never miss a game on Sky Blue Player and spend far too much time reading through this and other forums. In many people's eyes that will make me not a true fan, and if that's their opinion I can't do much about that, but it's definitely not mine.
Because I don't get to Coventry that often, I can't really gauge the true depth of general public opinion - Even between various football forums there is a disparity in the apparent dissent, ranging from reasoned to rabid. If it were to be based on this particular forum it would seem that the vast majority of City support is behind a move to boycott anything that has SISU's name on it, yet when asked to show solidarity by attending protest meetings and demonstrations, the photographic evidence I have seen is that the best attendance so far is about 100 people (no digs about the dog from me!). How can that be taken seriously as being representative of 15,000 dissenters about a topic that has got a whole city 'up in arms'.
If anything, it points more to a vociferous minority group, and as such could be counterproductive to the cause. Some very good work has been done to raise awareness via the media, no doubt about that, but there is a danger of this being undone when balanced against some of the 'stunts' that misfire.

It also prompts me to think about the effect of the publicity also raising a general awareness around the high court action by SISU against the City Council where it is alleged that they have abused taxpayers' money in supporting what is apparently a business concern set up by the council, with themselves as partners, to manage a lease on a facility of which they themselves are the freehold owners. It's only a guess but I would have thought that the sort of 'trial by forum', with some of the fascinating views and questions that get aired and discussed, are likely to be rather embarrassing to the council, who would prefer to keep it more low key as it has it has the potential for more far-reaching consequences that those affecting the football club.

Sorry for the ramble, but wanted to put my point of view.

SkyBlueSwiss

You are making the assumption that the council have done something wrong and therefore would prefer that things be kept quiet.
What evidence do you have that this is the case please? Is your "evidence" the fact that SISU have requested a judicial review? And if so, what would be your thoughts on Northampton council apparently preparing to do exactly the same thing? Do you expect SISU then to take the same action against Northampton council?

bigfatronssba

The feeling amongst the fans I know is that of anger, sadness, and acceptance that this will happen. Unfortunately there is a feeling that protesting won't do any good.

pusbccfc

Coventry fans are too lazy. We've always been a club with no ferocity. If this was a team like Leeds, Milwall etc they'd be a lot more numbers in protests

bigfatronssba

Coventry fans are too lazy. We've always been a club with no ferocity. If this was a team like Leeds, Milwall etc they'd be a lot more numbers in protests

But that's something I've always been proud of. Apart from the chavs, city fans are amongst the most gentle fans in the league. Despite how Coventry is perceived, it is not actually dangerous/rough enough to produce those type of people.

psgm1

Banned
The problem is not that there is no willingness to protest, but the utter incompetence of those arranging them!

It isn't rocket science to realise that the best way to get a decent attendance, is first to ensure the protest is well publicised (just going on one forum isn't going to do that!). Secondly you do not arrange it at a time when thew vast majority cannot attend! (Mid week before work ends is madness).

Also have the protest where the majority of those protesting can find it easy to attend!

The dingbats at the clique never worked this out! That is why when they hold it at a ground the vasyt majority of fans have never visitd, and never want to attend, or just before the end of the working day, or even midweek is utter madness!

Which is why more and more people have become completely disillusioned with the antics of the clique. They claim to represent all fans, which in itself is impossible, but rather than embrace differences, all they do is attack anyone who criticises. The clique as they have made abundantly apparent, only really has 20-30 active members. The remainder are those who agree with the ideal, but ultimately not interested. Hence you will never get more than 30 people attending any of their protests. They have proven this time after time after time.

So whilst in principle people agree with the protests, when you have morons arranging them, no one wants to be linked to these people. They are rabid loonies who simply cannot arrange anything. Yet they expect to have a pivotal role in the club - despite representing less than 10% of the fanbase!

That is why no one is attending these protests!

Sky Blue Pete

Happy with pivotal role in the trust. Do you think we are able to have one big city centre protest before the summer holidays??

quinn1971

Happy with pivotal role in the trust. Do you think we are able to have one big city centre protest before the summer holidays??

Surely we could make it a saturday when it's more suitable.sadly I think our fans are fed up and can't be bothered to protest anymore . you'll get a few 100 and that will be about it.if we had a proper organised one, get a few local well known faces to join us.We need somebody to follow, fair play to the trust for what they have done so far but we need something bigger.I think we could get thousands if it was done properly, however I fear we've given up and are just going to accept what happens to us.At least go down with a fight.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

The problem is not that there is no willingness to protest, but the utter incompetence of those arranging them!

It isn't rocket science to realise that the best way to get a decent attendance, is first to ensure the protest is well publicised (just going on one forum isn't going to do that!). Secondly you do not arrange it at a time when thew vast majority cannot attend! (Mid week before work ends is madness).

Also have the protest where the majority of those protesting can find it easy to attend!

The dingbats at the clique never worked this out! That is why when they hold it at a ground the vasyt majority of fans have never visitd, and never want to attend, or just before the end of the working day, or even midweek is utter madness!

Which is why more and more people have become completely disillusioned with the antics of the clique. They claim to represent all fans, which in itself is impossible, but rather than embrace differences, all they do is attack anyone who criticises. The clique as they have made abundantly apparent, only really has 20-30 active members. The remainder are those who agree with the ideal, but ultimately not interested. Hence you will never get more than 30 people attending any of their protests. They have proven this time after time after time.

So whilst in principle people agree with the protests, when you have morons arranging them, no one wants to be linked to these people. They are rabid loonies who simply cannot arrange anything. Yet they expect to have a pivotal role in the club - despite representing less than 10% of the fanbase!

Rabid :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:read your own posts you looney trouble is people in Coventry dont care and you I dont give a shit about you you're a twat
I'll be at the Godiva tomorrow you turn up and my brother can take the knives out my back because you are a coward proved time and time again. Why dont you ever turn up is it because they wont let you out of Rampton:jerkit::jerkit:

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I've been watching things develop (unravel) over the past what seems like forever.
Because I live over 200 miles away, I can't get to see City more than a couple of times a year, but never miss a game on Sky Blue Player and spend far too much time reading through this and other forums. In many people's eyes that will make me not a true fan, and if that's their opinion I can't do much about that, but it's definitely not mine.
Because I don't get to Coventry that often, I can't really gauge the true depth of general public opinion - Even between various football forums there is a disparity in the apparent dissent, ranging from reasoned to rabid. If it were to be based on this particular forum it would seem that the vast majority of City support is behind a move to boycott anything that has SISU's name on it, yet when asked to show solidarity by attending protest meetings and demonstrations, the photographic evidence I have seen is that the best attendance so far is about 100 people (no digs about the dog from me!). How can that be taken seriously as being representative of 15,000 dissenters about a topic that has got a whole city 'up in arms'.
If anything, it points more to a vociferous minority group, and as such could be counterproductive to the cause. Some very good work has been done to raise awareness via the media, no doubt about that, but there is a danger of this being undone when balanced against some of the 'stunts' that misfire.

It also prompts me to think about the effect of the publicity also raising a general awareness around the high court action by SISU against the City Council where it is alleged that they have abused taxpayers' money in supporting what is apparently a business concern set up by the council, with themselves as partners, to manage a lease on a facility of which they themselves are the freehold owners. It's only a guess but I would have thought that the sort of 'trial by forum', with some of the fascinating views and questions that get aired and discussed, are likely to be rather embarrassing to the council, who would prefer to keep it more low key as it has it has the potential for more far-reaching consequences that those affecting the football club.

Sorry for the ramble, but wanted to put my point of view.
There is no downside to media attention unless your'e Joy because she hates it As for us why do you think everybody now wants to get involved MPs MEPs? Its because of the media if anybody can help us its them. When the big boys in the media get involved which they are starting to watch the result Panorama anybody or even better Cowboy Football Club Owners

skybluericoh

Psgm1 I kinda see your point, and I don't know why the times are set for when they are, but lets suppose Sky cameras are going to be at a certain place at a certain time, who have to go for that time or no publicity. Don't know but just a guess

blueflint

you are getting worse m8 lighten up

J

Jack Griffin

There is no downside to media attention unless your'e Joy because she hates it As for us why do you think everybody now wants to get involved MPs MEPs? Its because of the media if anybody can help us its them. When the big boys in the media get involved which they are starting to watch the result Panorama anybody or even better Cowboy Football Club Owners

How do I wish Dominic Littlewood would doorstep Seppla?

@richh87

Media is so much more powerful than demonstrating in person, so I wouldn't get too concerned at the lack of numbers. Things have moved on, and the City support have done an incredible job of getting the press on to this.

Hurting evil Seppala and SISU's reputation, whilst putting immense pressure on the Football League is the key - and this modern form of action we're taking is working a treat.

PUSB!

dadgad

Media is so much more powerful than demonstrating in person, so I wouldn't get too concerned at the lack of numbers. Things have moved on, and the City support have done an incredible job of getting the press on to this.

Hurting evil Seppala and SISU's reputation, whilst putting immense pressure on the Football League is the key - and this modern form of action we're taking is working a treat.

PUSB!

This is true.
Writing an "outraged" letter to 'The Times' no longer cuts it.

Users who are viewing this thread