Don't sweat the small stuff (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

A phrase that I came across years ago in a Stephen King novel. which I liked and it resonated with me, in that I tend to have that approach to life. Hence, if somebody breaks something in our household, I always think 'it's just an object' and any other adverse events tend to be met with a fairly laid back 'doesn't matter' approach. If it's not life affecting, things don't weigh on my mind. Except........this football club (and yet I know it's not really important.....but it is ! ) Maddening; anybody else the same? Laid back, until it comes to City!

Last edited:

stevefloyd

I never used to be as uptight watching Cov but I guess over 50 years of hurt/disappointment/frustration has taken its toll and at times I get negative about the team that means so much to me that I want to do so well, well at least compete and it spills over, certain players piss me off because they are not giving 100% and I end up coming on here to vent my inward anger at them much to the consternation of other posters but at heart its just the passion inside of me wanting my team to do well.

Covkid1968#

Yep.... other half is a Vice President for a large American organisation everyone would know.... she has no idea how she has ended up with someone as emotionally immature as me! When meeting her colleagues I’m warned to stay off football after trying to get to the bottom of why Randy the 3rd or whatever his fecking name is a passionate Liverpool fan despite having visited the City once on business..... utter wanker!!

shmmeee

Yep.... other half is a Vice President for a large American organisation everyone would know.... she has no idea how she has ended up with someone as emotionally immature as me! When meeting her colleagues I’m warned to stay off football after trying to get to the bottom of why Randy the 3rd or whatever his fecking name is a passionate Liverpool fan despite having visited the City once on business..... utter wanker!!

Are you married to Joy?

clint van damme

A phrase that I came across years ago in a Stephen King novel. which I liked and it resonated with me, in that I tend to have that approach to life. Hence, if somebody breaks something in our household, I always think 'it's just an object' and any other adverse events tend to be met with a fairly laid back 'doesn't matter' approach. If it's not life affecting, things don't weigh on my mind. Except........this football club (and yet I know it's not really important.....but it is ! ) Maddening; anybody else the same? Laid back, until it comes to City!

I'm constantly on the edge and in a state of near mania!

Skyblueweeman

I have to say, I think I care less now than I did say, 10 years ago. I love the high moments don't get me wrong, but I now treat the low points with a shrug of the shoulders and a kind of 'meh' attitude to things.

I think this could be for a number of reasons. Life's been sooooo hard for everyone this last year and I've become a lot more resilient to things and have had to learn not to get to concerned about things I cannot control. Whilst I have an emotional attachment to the club, I can't affect what 11 players do on a pitch on a Saturday.

The last 12 months have been tough mentally - losing my job, starting my own business, worrying about making enough money to pay the bills and mortgage, continuing to give my 2yr old a great upbringing without the guaranteed income, my wifes job, not catching covid - I've not got enough headspace to worry about things that I cannot control to be honest.

I've focused so much in the last couple of months about well-being as this 3rd lockdown has affected me a lot more and I think I'm in a good position. But I've learned to not let things like Saturday get to me too much. I feel a bit guilty about it at times when I see some of the meltdowns on here. I love my club, I've just learned to control my emotional attachment to it. Maybe an age thing as well.

Good thread H.

chiefdave

I never used to be as uptight watching Cov but I guess over 50 years of hurt/disappointment/frustration has taken its toll and at times I get negative about the team that means so much to me that I want to do so well, well at least compete and it spills over, certain players piss me off because they are not giving 100% and I end up coming on here to vent my inward anger at them much to the consternation of other posters but at heart its just the passion inside of me wanting my team to do well.
Pretty much the opposite for me. Years of shit and a seemingly never-ending downward spiral ground me down. Now when we lose I move on as soon as the match is over where before it would put me in a bad mood for days.

Not to say I don't get pissed off, I like a moan as much as anyone!

procdoc

There’s more important things in life to worry about than Robins’s substitutions or January signings. This time last year I got made redundant, lost a close relative to cancer, lost a close friend to suicide, couldn’t go to her funeral due to lockdown, got Covid myself and ended up in hospital, all around shit time of it this past year. So although I love it when we win, I don’t get too down when we play shit and lose, there are more important things in life than CCFC

Hobo

Yes but some people sweat over games we lose but are not expected to win.

Covkid1968#

Are you married to Joy?

Hahaha... that’s made me chuckle. Mrs is an Evertonian all day long and def not a hard nosed business woman..... just good at what she does 😬

Covkid1968#

I had wondered, and am hoping Mrs covkid1968 can be persuaded by our esteemed fellow poster to divert funds towards a new stadium, If you don't ask, and all that....

She’s currently doing a lot of diversion of funds to shite off the internet. Everyday I’m up off my seat taking in parcels with stuff that appears to be of no use to anyone.... so a bit like the Ricoh......😬😬😬

Cov kid 55

Yep, ‘looking forward’ to tomorrow’s game with trepidation, as I always do. And having lived in Norfolk for a few years after I left Cov, a lot of my friends are Norwich fans - so could be tough tomorrow.

Terry_dactyl

It definitely fluctuates for me. I think generally I’ve been worn down over the years and can be quite philosophical about bad results...I think, as a fan base we’ve kind of had to. We’ve gone from losing to the likes of Liverpool to losing to FGR in what feels like a short space of time. There are times when I can just shrug it off...c’est la vie!
However, results like losing 2-1 to Walsall a couple of years back or Nottingham Forest (twice!) this year really, almost physically, hurt me...it’s just not fair!!!! I do get over it, just so long as nobody talks about it with me ever again.

I’m also reminded that I was caught shouting “you fucking pricks” at the TV, at our players in fact, when we played Millwall...a game we won.
Yeah, I’m not philosophical about it am I?

Dont sweat the small stuff? I think I read somewhere it’s better to be agitated by the small stuff and be calm about the big things in life. In truth I can be an arse about both...my colleagues think I’m Zen.

Users who are viewing this thread