Donny (1 Viewer)

ccfc1234

I cant belive we are going to miss the playoffs by such a small margin. The players should be kicking themselves.

HAD we beaten Donny we would go into next week knowing a win would take us to 6th as long as we beat Oldham and:

Barnsley dont win at Wigan (doubt they would)

Scuthorpe dont win at Sheff Utd (possible but not probable)

I know you can look to other points in the season but quite staggeringly it was still on until last weeks terrible performance.

Gazolba

I can't believe we are missing the automatic promotion places by such a huge margin.

Otis

Typical of City to blow such an opportunity and against the worst side in the division on their form of the last 15 matches or so.

Hobo

Typical of City to blow such an opportunity and against the worst side in the division on their form of the last 15 matches or so.

No Crewe and Bury were the worst sides in this league on the days we spanked them. Unfortunately you missed the signs that it wasn't a green light to automatic promotion or even play offs.

City beat the team's on the day and they deserved credit for that. But the fans expectation was beyond the team's ability. They need to get a reality check and realise progress is being made.

Otis

No Crewe and Bury were the worst sides in this league on the days we spanked them. Unfortunately you missed the signs that it wasn't a green light to automatic promotion or even play offs.

City beat the team's on the day and they deserved credit for that. But the fans expectation was beyond the team's ability. They need to get a reality check and realise progress is being made.

I'm of course talking about when we played Doncaster. Not talking about previously. When we played Doncaster they were the worst team in the league on current form. 1 win in 17 matches.

stupot07

Don't know why this game is being made such a big issue, we didn't miss out on the play offs because we lost against Donny, we missed out on plays off because we hit relegation form for the 23 games following beating Gillingham to go 3 points ahead at the top of the league.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The 2 games that stood out for me this season was Oldham at home and Swindon away. To be in winning positions so late in the game was frustrating. The last 2/3 home games have shown what we've missed in 2016, the desire to want to win.

Nick

Administrator
The 2 games that stood out for me this season was Oldham at home and Swindon away. To be in winning positions so late in the game was frustrating. The last 2/3 home games have shown what we've missed in 2016, the desire to want to win.
That could be linked to personnel too couldn't it

J

Jack Griffin

I can't believe we are missing the automatic promotion places by such a huge margin.

It was inconceivable in December, unlikely in January, possible in February, probable in March and inevitable in April.

Fawk!!!!

skybluepm2

The games we threw it away in my opinion:

City 2-2 Southend - JOB missed penalty which would've given us the ascendency

City 0-0 Blackpool - frustrating game against a poor side who came and went home with a point

Swindon 2-2 City - 3 points seemingly in the bag with a 2-0 comfortable lead before inexplicably being thrown away in the last 1/4

City 2-2 Doncaster - unnecessary individual errors when we were in cruising throw away another 2 points at home

Sheffield United 1-0 City - never a more one sided game. Robbed of all 3 against what should've been 10 men very early on, missed chances and blatant penalty appeals turned down

City 1-1 Oldham - scrappy stoppage time goal conceded from a corner against a side who had posed very few problems during the 90 minutes

City 1-1 Walsall - solid performance for more than an hour should've ensured we were out of sight. Huge turning point in our season quickly followed by the defeat by Burton

City 1-2 - poor home form continued after losing to Scunthorpe in a game we should never have lost. Screamer late on in the game gave Cooke no chance after we should've gone on to win it shortly after equalising

City 0-1 Rochdale - needless last minute penalty threw away a point against a poor side

Peterborough 3-1 City - comparisons to the Sheffield United away game where city completely outplay their opponents and should've been out of sight prior to being hit by a sucker punch on the stroke of half time against the run of play. Henderson falling over whilst through on goal with the opportunity to make it 2-2 run end salt into the wounds

City 0-1 Colchester - dreadful performance against one of the league's worst sides. A penalty miss from Jacob Murphy prevented a much needed point which would've kept faint hopes alive

Gillingham 0-0 City - performances begin to improve but Tudgay hitting the bar in the last minute when it was easier to score proved costly

Doncaster 2-0 City - remaining hopes finally extinguished and in typical sky blue fashion, we succumb to a side destined for relegation just days after gaining back to back wins against 2 teams in the top 6

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I just cannot help but look back at the matches above and think what should've been. Play offs really should've been a bare minimum. Could've would've should've gained another 15-20 points and we only have ourselves to blame.

Otis

Would say the Burton game too. It was a very tight affair and to my mind it looked like it might well end up in stalemate.

A dreadful error by Phillips though gifted them a goal and changed the game. From that point on there was only one team in it.

Macca

But would we have won today if we were still in with a chance or would the pressure have got to them. For me once it became impossible, how many points away we finish is irrelevant

Otis

But would we have won today if we were still in with a chance or would the pressure have got to them. For me once it became impossible, how many points away we finish is irrelevant
True.

We would probably have seen a completely different City if these were games we HAD to win. We played without pressure and that benefitted us for sure, Doncaster apart.

Hobo

The games we threw it away in my opinion:

City 2-2 Southend - JOB missed penalty which would've given us the ascendency

City 0-0 Blackpool - frustrating game against a poor side who came and went home with a point

Swindon 2-2 City - 3 points seemingly in the bag with a 2-0 comfortable lead before inexplicably being thrown away in the last 1/4

City 2-2 Doncaster - unnecessary individual errors when we were in cruising throw away another 2 points at home

Sheffield United 1-0 City - never a more one sided game. Robbed of all 3 against what should've been 10 men very early on, missed chances and blatant penalty appeals turned down

City 1-1 Oldham - scrappy stoppage time goal conceded from a corner against a side who had posed very few problems during the 90 minutes

City 1-1 Walsall - solid performance for more than an hour should've ensured we were out of sight. Huge turning point in our season quickly followed by the defeat by Burton

City 1-2 - poor home form continued after losing to Scunthorpe in a game we should never have lost. Screamer late on in the game gave Cooke no chance after we should've gone on to win it shortly after equalising

City 0-1 Rochdale - needless last minute penalty threw away a point against a poor side

Peterborough 3-1 City - comparisons to the Sheffield United away game where city completely outplay their opponents and should've been out of sight prior to being hit by a sucker punch on the stroke of half time against the run of play. Henderson falling over whilst through on goal with the opportunity to make it 2-2 run end salt into the wounds

City 0-1 Colchester - dreadful performance against one of the league's worst sides. A penalty miss from Jacob Murphy prevented a much needed point which would've kept faint hopes alive

Gillingham 0-0 City - performances begin to improve but Tudgay hitting the bar in the last minute when it was easier to score proved costly

Doncaster 2-0 City - remaining hopes finally extinguished and in typical sky blue fashion, we succumb to a side destined for relegation just days after gaining back to back wins against 2 teams in the top 6

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I just cannot help but look back at the matches above and think what should've been. Play offs really should've been a bare minimum. Could've would've should've gained another 15-20 points and we only have ourselves to blame.

I agree, but to have so many games when we are short of what is required shows we weren't really contenders. We did pose the question though...and Coventry fans long starved of success took the bait and built a castle made of sand.

What we have to do is build on this and close those margins down.

Macca

Its like being 3-0 down in a 5 match test series then winning the last 2 because the shackles are off. On paper its close but once you were 3-0 down you had lost

Hobo

Would say the Burton game too. It was a very tight affair and to my mind it looked like it might well end up in stalemate.

A dreadful error by Phillips though gifted them a goal and changed the game. From that point on there was only one team in it.

Agree Walsall and Burton games were going to shape our season. Even if they had been positive results we still needed to kick on and find consistency, so it was never a given.

stupot07

Its like being 3-0 down in a 5 match test series then winning the last 2 because the shackles are off. On paper its close but once you were 3-0 down you had lost
Bang on Macca

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Otis

Yeah, we have to be careful that this little flurry doesn't give us false hope. We have played with the shackles off amd previously we had been nervous and tentative.

Of course we will now never know how the likes of today's game had panned out and we had have beaten Doncaster and been within 2 points.

Wonder of TM will blood any kids next week.

Macca

That said there have been some decent moments this year which we havent seen for some years. The first half against Gillls was the best half of football and atmosphere for years

Hobo

I'm of course talking about when we played Doncaster. Not talking about previously. When we played Doncaster they were the worst team in the league on current form. 1 win in 17 matches.

I am talking actual level of performance against us rather than League position or form.

Otis

I am talking actual level of performance against us rather than League position or form.

Yeah, but it's hard to tell last week just how good Doncaster were and how bad we were. Probably a combination of both, though both TM and the fans said we were pitiful.

Very surprised to see Doncaster lose 3-1 at Crewe today. Really thought they would kick on from beating us and pick up at least a point there.

Hobo

Yeah, but it's hard to tell last week just how good Doncaster were and how bad we were. Probably a combination of both, though both TM and the fans said we were pitiful.

Very surprised to see Doncaster lose 3-1 at Crewe today. Really thought they would kick on from beating us and pick up at least a point there.

But that is the inconsistently of teams in this league. Sheffield United had everything to play for today and unbeaten in five....but....

Warwickhunt

Doncaster a a very poor side and will go down! In fact there are at least 12 sides in that category so I Can understand TM's anger at wimping out to that team

Hobo

An "insipid display" that is very damming of the performance from TM!

RegTheDonk

The games we threw it away in my opinion:......

.....Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I just cannot help but look back at the matches above and think what should've been. Play offs really should've been a bare minimum. Could've would've should've gained another 15-20 points and we only have ourselves to blame.

I'll be positive (for a change) based on those games you've mentioned - IF TM is able to replace the players who we undoubtedly will lose, like for like, we surely can't be that unlucky, undisciplined, or uncommitted next season to throw away that many points. Hopefully. Lump on for us to get autos next year.

D

Deleted member 2477

Next season the league will be harder with those teams coming down. Also when you look at the players we will potentialy lose its half the first team so its like starting all over again.

would have been ideal to keep this seasons team with two or three improvements and I would be alot more confident of going up

Otis

Next season the league will be harder with those teams coming down. Also when you look at the players we will potentialy lose its half the first team so its like starting all over again.

would have been ideal to keep this seasons team with two or three improvements and I would be alot more confident of going up
Well yep, we will lose half our team, but then by the same token these are the same players who blew it along with the rest of the team.

Haven't they all been distinctly average or worse for a number of games?

Next season we need consistency of performance and we need more spirit, desire, fight and bottle.

Last edited:

Specs WT-R75

Yes, it looks like it is going to come down to those small margins which is gutting to say the least.

The number of teams that have been on terrible runs and beaten us only to go on and lose their next games has been perhaps the most frustrating thing. Swindon, Gillingham and finally Doncaster who just like us failed to turn up when it really mattered.

Anyway doesn't matter as we would have lost to Oldham if we were under pressure anyway!

ps1948

This time last year, we were preparing to go away to Crawley, needing points to stay up - it is disappointing that the season has tailed off, and the manner of some of the points dropped is galling, but we have made progress, and, if we hadn't had such a lot of injuries, especially in defence, it may/would have been different.
Mowbray has now had a full season in this god-awful league, and will hopefully have learnt what is needed to get us out of it.
Looking forward to next season - PUSB

Otis

This time last year, we were preparing to go away to Crawley, needing points to stay up - it is disappointing that the season has tailed off, and the manner of some of the points dropped is galling, but we have made progress, and, if we hadn't had such a lot of injuries, especially in defence, it may/would have been different.
Mowbray has now had a full season in this god-awful league, and will hopefully have learnt what is needed to get us out of it.
Looking forward to next season - PUSB
Well it's a fair point on the first season remark. I vividly recall TM saying he knew nothing of League One.

Hopefully this will be a learning curve for him and he will be better equipped next time out.

fernandopartridge

Why? Bolton and Charlton are like us when we came down. Completely demoralised.

Users who are viewing this thread