Dom Hyam (1 Viewer)

KersleyDigs

I think this might be the season where we all realise what a player this lad is. He has been cruising in L2 and L1. I think he has been our most consistent player for some time now, and i think he will step up to the championship with minimal fuss. Hope we can keep hold of him long term.

Harry_Walker

“Dominic is another player with potential who we’ve brought in to develop and strengthen the club as a whole, not just the first team. Dominic will be expected to push for a place in the first-team, and adds depth and further quality to an important position.”

A quote from MR when he signed. Signed to play in the under 23’s and 3 years later he’s on of the first names on the team sheet in the championship, his development has been phenomenal.

SlowerThanPlatt

“Dominic is another player with potential who we’ve brought in to develop and strengthen the club as a whole, not just the first team. Dominic will be expected to push for a place in the first-team, and adds depth and further quality to an important position.”

A quote from MR when he signed. Signed to play in the under 23’s and 3 years later he’s on of the first names on the team sheet in the championship, his development has been phenomenal.

This is a bit of a myth, he started the first game of the season in League 2. Wasn’t signed to play in the Under 23s like a Williams or Drysdale

larry_david

Started the first game didn't he? Think Willis was injured. Had a spell out then for a bit but came on in the infamous Mansfield away game and looked solid. Stepped up during play offs and never looked back. I do love Dominic Hyam and I hope he will he here for a long long time

cooperskyblue

I said on the other thread of best signings for me Hyam is up there for me with the best.
He may lack pace but he has been brilliant. I think we could probably count in single figures the bad games he has had in his 3 years at the club.
I don't see any reason why he can't develop into a Scott Dann level CB for us in the Champ.

woody11462

This is a bit of a myth, he started the first game of the season in League 2. Wasn’t signed to play in the Under 23s like a Williams or Drysdale

Not sure its fair to say it was a myth. I genuinely believe he was brought initially for the 23's. He may have just stood out from the start but I for one had never heard of him. 99% of signings have some history of pro football. Pretty sure he'd only been on loan in none league so he was hardly a guaranteed starter.

SlowerThanPlatt

Not sure its fair to say it was a myth. I genuinely believe he was brought initially for the 23's. He may have just stood out from the start but I for one had never heard of him. 99% of signings have some history of pro football. Pretty sure he'd only been on loan in none league so he was hardly a guaranteed starter.

He was at Dagenham and Portsmouth in League 2, was also the fourth choice centre back going into the season

Mucca Mad Boys

We had injuries and for a lot of the season McDonald and Davies were ahead of Hyam in the pecking order.

League appearances in 2017/18 for CB:

Willis - 35
McDonald - 34
Davies - 21
Hyam - 14

Hyam was very much a junior member of CB department coming into that season. He earned his place toward the end of the season.

SlowerThanPlatt

We had injuries and for a lot of the season McDonald and Davies were ahead of Hyam in the pecking order.

League appearances in 2017/18 for CB:

Willis - 35
McDonald - 34
Davies - 21
Hyam - 14

Hyam was very much a junior member of CB department coming into that season. He earned his place toward the end of the season.

The point is going into the season he was part of the first team as the fourth choice centre back - if he was signed for the under 23s he wouldn’t have been fourth choice as that would mean the club would have gone into a season with 3 centre backs they thought were capable. He already had two loan spells at the level

Mucca Mad Boys

The point is going into the season he was part of the first team as the fourth choice centre back - if he was signed for the under 23s he wouldn’t have been fourth choice as that would mean the club would have gone into a season with 3 centre backs they thought were capable. He already had two loan spells at the level

From MRs quote it said he was signed to ‘push for the 1st team and add depth’ from the get go.

He made 14 league appearances all season, so naturally spent a lot of time with the U23s. He was signed as a development player.

SlowerThanPlatt

From MRs quote it said he was signed to ‘push for the 1st team and add depth’ from the get go.

He made 14 league appearances all season, so naturally spent a lot of time with the U23s. He was signed as a development player.

He made more league appearances than he did U23 appearances

Ricketts

don't forget as well when he joined we were only using two centrebacks. I think with three it really suit him and us.

skybluesam66

All apart from the dreadful yeovil game. He was probably the worst player in an awful performance that day. Thank god it was the exception

SkyBlueScottie

It was defo reported that we signed him initially for the development squad, but trust we expected to push on for a spot in the 1st team.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When he arrived his situation was similar to that of Pask when he arrived - not expected to start but be capable of being first team capable if required. He was expected to spend that season predominantly playing U23. But due to injuries etc he was required more often than expected and did so well he moved up from that role.

Mucca Mad Boys

He made more league appearances than he did U23 appearances

Hyam’s role that season was exactly what MR said it was going to be when he signed.

I’m pretty sure both Tom Davies, McDonald and Willis all got injured that season. With the former two with more long term injuries. The result being was that Hyam was needed on the bench and unable to feature for the U23s

The stats speak for themselves - he made the least appearances in the league by far.

Marty

What actually happened to Rod that season? Looked a class above for months, then over night he became a calamity, looked like he never played football before and we couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

fatso

Big Dom is nailed on future captain material in my eyes. Should way in with a few set piece goals this year as well.

Fergusons_Beard

Especially good to see him come back from being torn a new one against Yeovil in Div 2 when their Striker put the after burners on and Hyam was left for dead more than once!

He hasn’t been done like that again and he has definitely improved season on season.

Amongst many other consistent performers-solid 7 or 8 every game- very rarely makes a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_david

Especially good to see him come back from being torn a new one against Yeovil in Div 2 when their Striker put the after burners on and Hyam was left for dead more than once!

He hasn’t been done like that again and he has definitely improved season on season.

Amongst many other consistent performers-solid 7 or 8 every game- very rarely makes a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That Yeovil game was just weird. Wasn't their pacey striker 34 Yr old francois zoko? I'm sure we were out on the piss the night before. Doyle said after if certain players wanted to make it they they needed to act professionally.

They had that Alex Fisher up top who from their goalkicks stood 30 yards offside and stood still and we just panicked not knowing whether to drop back and mark or leave him. In the end we scrambled to do both and they picked up the loose ball every time. It was utterly bizarre

pipkin73

What actually happened to Rod that season? Looked a class above for months, then over night he became a calamity, looked like he never played football before and we couldn't get rid of him quick enough.
Might have made this up but i think i read that he had a new born about that time. Maybe he never got any sleep or his Mrs or new born Child had problems? Not sure, but i'm sure i remember reading something like this.

Colin Steins Smile

He is another player who has made significant progress due to great coaching and whilst he doesn't have exceptional speed, he makes up for it by his speed of thought and reading of the game.

fernandopartridge

He looked good compared to what came before him that's all, it quickly became apparent he wasn't all that

SBbucks

That Yeovil game was just weird. Wasn't their pacey striker 34 Yr old francois zoko? I'm sure we were out on the piss the night before. Doyle said after if certain players wanted to make it they they needed to act professionally.

They had that Alex Fisher up top who from their goalkicks stood 30 yards offside and stood still and we just panicked not knowing whether to drop back and mark or leave him. In the end we scrambled to do both and they picked up the loose ball every time. It was utterly bizarre
It was very unusual to see him do that, but they obviously couldn’t just leave him unmarked as he couldn’t be offside from the goal kick...

Users who are viewing this thread