Doing Transfers Differently - Sky Sports article with Chris Badlan (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Exactly.

Best demonstrated by the Jim Smith debacle.

And then Adams panic purchase of Kevin Kyle for a very inflated price - a player who simply did not fit our team and was not scouted properly. I actually have a lot of sympathy for KK as it was hardly his fault that he was a panic purchase and we paid so much.

These days there would be a plan B and C in place if someone like McSheffrey was sold; everything is so much more organized and professional.

Typically as a Cov fan I'm now beginning to worry that we will lose Badlan - would be a huge loss as he's been such a big part of our success.

I’m not worried, if he goes we’ll hire someone of the same vein. Just like we replaced Bright and Walsh

skybluesam66

The bigger the team, the more failures you can have
Alex ferguson had dozens of them, but because of his budget , he could afford to replace them
We are not in such a position , and literally have one shot at a perfect team, so we need 7 or 8 out of 10 signings to be successful

shmmeee

All agreed and well known to everybody. That was the point behind the strategy - skilled european players that nobody has noticed, at less cost, who would join us partly for the chance of being spotted by bigger clubs and get really big money. Or something like that. Definetely worth a concerted shot as an extra string to the bow in addition to transfer fees, frees, youth, development and loans.

But as yet, Hamer aside ands he is a more conventional acquisition with a transfer fee, the jury is out. That means that it is doubt as to whether it is a viable strategy. The measure of success is that players should become regular contenders for a first team slot, or else why bother. The brief bits we have seen of K, J & H is that they are probably first teamers in League 1 (even Kastaneer). But things may change. What's more even when fit, Dacosta is unlikley to be first choice as Dabo, the current back three and Rose are all ahead of him.

The strategy is genuinely worth a punt, but it can't be called a success.....yet

TBF Dacosta was very much brought in as cover for several positions rather than a signing with potential to start and be sold.

Hilßner is the only worry for me this time around. If it’s just this lung issue and we solve it then great, but we paid a fee and he’s probably supposed to be challenging Allen for that AM role, but he’s looked well off the pace so far and has dropped right back in terms of selection. But considering we’ve had lockdown and this possible breathing issue I’m willing to give him more time to prove himself.

covcity4life

TBF Dacosta was very much brought in as cover for several positions rather than a signing with potential to start and be sold.

Hilßner is the only worry for me this time around. If it’s just this lung issue and we solve it then great, but we paid a fee and he’s probably supposed to be challenging Allen for that AM role, but he’s looked well off the pace so far and has dropped right back in terms of selection. But considering we’ve had lockdown and this possible breathing issue I’m willing to give him more time to prove himself.
That's big of you

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The bigger the team, the more failures you can have
Alex ferguson had dozens of them, but because of his budget , he could afford to replace them
We are not in such a position , and literally have one shot at a perfect team, so we need 7 or 8 out of 10 signings to be successful
I read an article after Leicester winning the league where Man Utd fans were outraged that they could pick up Mahrez for 300k and Man Utd didn’t know him, and the United guy was saying due to Man Utd’s position on football and shareholders - they shop in different markets.

Shareholders expect ready made and well known superstars, they don’t care about potential gems coming from the french second division

Deity

I read an article after Leicester winning the league where Man Utd fans were outraged that they could pick up Mahrez for 300k and Man Utd didn’t know him, and the United guy was saying due to Man Utd’s position on football and shareholders - they shop in different markets.

Shareholders expect ready made and well known superstars, they don’t care about potential gems coming from the french second division
What rubbish. It’s the fans and the press that want quick fixes ... shareholders would much sooner clubs find hidden gems at a fraction of the price than constantly pay top dollar for bigger names.

shmmeee

What rubbish. It’s the fans and the press that want quick fixes ... shareholders would much sooner clubs find hidden gems at a fraction of the price than constantly pay top dollar for bigger names.

I suspect a lot of shareholders are fans,

Mucca Mad Boys

Top clubs have a win-now mentality so they’re mostly buying established stars to get them CL football and trophies.

Man U fans use the Mahrez as an example. That’s a terrible example for them to use. He was signed when LCFC were in the Championship and he scored 3 in 19 that season. He wasn’t at Man Us level at that time, nor could Man U give him the game time to get up to their level. The same with players like Vardy and Kante too.

Their recruitment strategy is: buy the best. Buy the best youth players for their youth setup, and buy best prospects/stars for their first team. Every player pretty comes in with a lot of expectation.

The shareholders mostly have the same mindset. Winning teams generate sales of merchandise, tickets, sponsorship revenue and TV money and so on. Losing teams lose shareholders money.

robbiekeane

But as yet, Hamer aside ands he is a more conventional acquisition with a transfer fee, the jury is out.
Don't think you can exclude hamer from that strategy. You could arguable he's the "cheaper" version on Liam Walsh because he's from a European league. It's early days but so far looks a hell of a player. Also wasn't Dabo scouter from his dime in the dutch league? Jobello wasn't the best player we've ever had but i'd say he was a success.

Rose from scottish league too

D

Deleted member 4439

These data analytics guys are new breed of modern football scouting. Believe it or not they’ve grown off the back of games like FIFA and Championship Manager. They’ve not been involved in football professionally but are just complete brain boxes in player assessments against technical criteria. It’s quite fascinating how they analyse players and there’s a massive community out there. A lot of these data scouts are waxing lyrical about our recruitment this summer.

Chap who I worked with over 2 years and who is an account manager for a large IT/Public services organisation told me that Arsenal have a team of 17 analysts. Seems a lot, but when you see from All or Nothing that Spurs seem to have more physios than first team members, seems conceivable.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They would, but purely for financial reasons.

They all want their team to produce a Class of 92 or some hidden lower league gem but only if they were capable of the same standard as those established. Often they're not and the shareholders won't accept poorer results to bring them on. Like all shareholders they want maximum revenue for minimum costs. But if results slip fans slip away - they don't get the same merch sales, advertising and sponsorship and revenues drop. That is worth more so they sanction higher fees and wages to ensure performance is maintained. Look at the amount of money Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea have spent the last few years because they're not guaranteed a CL place. That means more to them so they're spending huge amounts on trying to get back there. That's what the shareholders want just as much as anyone else.

There are exceptions to this, because some transfers can pay themselves back even at very large sums with the amount of money said player brings in due to the interest around them.

But whatever it is it's always based around whether they'll make more money than they'll lose. That's why there are so many FLC clubs spending ludicrous amounts to get promoted because the money from that would be monumental. It's high risk but high reward and these are people that aren't known for being risk-averse.

Blake

We should sign taller players, then, to take advantage on set pieces of so many very little players. ;)

That's in reply to post 33. I'm only learning how to work things.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Not necessarily. Paul Pogba for instance is far more marketable that Mahrez at the point of buying

Adidas pay the 100 mil a year for Pogba in their kits, not a 300k signing from the french second division

Users who are viewing this thread