Does at walk on water - ??? (1 Viewer)

At's performance raised many times on SBT but never laid alongside other CCFC managers as a comparison but look at these managerial stats:

Note:
Stats based on year on year results with slight overlap during some seasons plus occasional stints of caretaker management - but you get the drift

Season
01/02: R Nilsson P46 W20 43% win - sacked
02/03: G McAllister W12 26% win - left for compassionate reasons
03/04: E Black W17 37% win - sacked
04/05: P Reid W13 28% win - sacked
05/06: M Adams W16 35% win - survived
06/07: M Adams W16 35% win - sacked
07/08: I Dowie W14 30% win - sacked
08/09: C Coleman W13 28% win - survived
09/10: C Coleman W13 28% win - sacked
10/11: A Boothroyd W14 30% win - sacked

11/12: A Thorn W5 17% win - walking on water

Am I being a tad unfair ???

PUSB

rob9872

Well he has made a squad out of thin air so who knows he may well walk on water.

I perform miracles too - I can turn wine into piss!

stupot07

It is a tad unfair because AT has undoubtedly got a far worse set of players than any of the previous managers particularly in the attacking third.

He has also had the tightest financial constraints of any of those managers, and has been unable to bring enough players in

Last edited:

Astute

Only a tad unfair?

Name a time we had a worse squad? Name a time when sold players never got replaced for so long.

mark82

Not easy to compare directly. Any of the above that you would take back? I wouldn't mind Nilsson getting another shot now he has more experience.

coop

The reason we are always in the shit is because we always and will always sell our best players.(sorry for so many always)

Macca

I m worried England haven t made an approach. Best manager we be had for years though don t ask me to provide reasons why

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
But AT insists he has the players to get out of this (his words not mine) - so are we saying he doesnt know what he is saying or that we dont understand as much as we think we do. Because if the squad is good enough for him then his results record is very poor by anyones standards irrespective of the excuses we find for it. Plenty of managers in the Football League have to work under just as tight budgets and have lost their jobs with better records than AT - somehow we seem to think we are the only team in the 3 divisions that has financial problems - it just is not so

Astute

So AT is supposed to let his squad know he thinks they are shite and have no chance of staying up? Fook it lets just give up and not bother trying to win another game this season

PhilWasn'tBabb

Of course AT has to speak positively in public at all times, I'm not going to blame him for this, I'm sure in private he has other opinions.

The be all and end all of the issue for me is that there is no money to sack him. Sacking people costs money.

wingy

Of course AT has to speak positively in public at all times, I'm not going to blame him for this, I'm sure in private he has other opinions.

The be all and end all of the issue for me is that there is no money to sack him. Sacking people costs money.
As obviously does Backing .

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
but it isnt just saying it though is it ........... he backs it up with his game stats ..... which show to him at least that we have a squad capable of being much higher up the league. So it isnt all down to the funding from SISU or the quality of our squad..... there is more to it than that.

Of course he has to stay positive, not saying he is wrong to, nor should he or we give up that is a ridiculous statement to make ...... but he has facts stats and figures that should point to a better outcome even with our budget and squad. Clearly there is something else not right.

Nor should we assume that his opinion is different behind closed doors, we dont actually know that. Nor should we assume he rates the players any less than he comes out and says publically - he has his faults but being two faced i do not sense is one of them - but thats just my opinion

Astute

Lack of goalscorers is our main problem. So what did SISU do? Sell the only player that could score. Not a problem to SISU as a lot of our fans blame AT for us not scoring enough.

brinner

if Thorn keeps us up this season he can walk on whatever he fucking likes in my book!!

he would deserve the freedom of the city!!

CJparker

Agreed - everyone said at the start of the season we are strong candidates for relegation, so why try to pin the blame on the manager. The investment in the quad (or lack of investment) has left us with a terribly weak squad that would always struggle: 1/3 of them kids, 1/3 lower league journeymen and of the rest only about half are playing like they care.

I know it's tempting to blame AT, but we sack more managers than most clubs and where has it got us ? - it's been a main cause of the mess we're in now!

Astute

if Thorn keeps us up this season he can walk on whatever he fucking likes in my book!!

Never a truer word said. Our fans have gone from saying we will go down at the start of the season and the bookies having us as favourites for relegation as we lost our first team closed season and not replaced, to a lot of fans thinking it is AT's fault we are not doing much better.

Grendel

if Thorn keeps us up this season he can walk on whatever he fecking likes in my book!!

He won't keep us up and with his diabolical record he won't be walking into another job either.

Grendel

and of the rest only about half are playing like they care. I know it's tempting to blame AT said:
Whose fault is it that according to you some players don't care out of interest?

By the end of the season thorn will have been in charge for about the average of a manager in this league. His contract will not be renewed.

Grendel

I m worried England haven t made an approach. Best manager we be had for years though don t ask me to provide reasons why

Actually I've heard he'll be off to spurs..

Astute

He won't keep us up and with his diabolical record he won't be walking into another job either.

How did you think we would do before the season started? Was it much better than we are with this poor squad? Most thought we would go down. I thought we might be OK. Still think we could be.

Grendel

How did you think we would do before the season started? Was it much better than we are with this poor squad? Most thought we would go down. I thought we might be OK. Still think we could be.

I thought we would struggle but be in contention. On current form we will be down in march. Despite the weak squad the home form is as I would have expected. No one would honestly expect us to have had the worst away record in Britain. This will be what takes us down. You can pretend the football is better if you like but check possession, goal attempts, corner count record away from home and then honestly tell me this could not have been improved.

brinner

I thought we would struggle but be in contention. On current form we will be down in march. Despite the weak squad the home form is as I would have expected. No one would honestly expect us to have had the worst away record in Britain. This will be what takes us down. You can pretend the football is better if you like but check possession, goal attempts, corner count record away from home and then honestly tell me this could not have been improved.
yes it could have been improved, ten fold infact if we still had the spine of the side Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King, a spine that would walk in to any other team in this division...............FACT!!!!!

Astute

yes it could have been improved, ten fold infact if we still had the spine of the side Westwood, Turner, Gunnarsson and King, a spine that would walk in to any other team in this division...............FACT!!!!!

And players that AB took sliding down the table until AT took over.

BackRoomRummermill

A message to all the AT fan club and a question.

When and not if we are in League one............ when we are sitting bottom of League one. Will you still think that it is not AT fault :slap:

He is to me one up from a High School PE teacher, if someone wants to tell me his actual credentials and acheivments apart fom being on a lot of money gezzer at Cov then please do.

Before anyone start spouting rubbish that he is a great scout can someone actually tell me someone he scouted that has made it, think carefully before you reply.

What has he actually done apart from stealing a few grand a week at CCFC who are skint anyway and placed us adrift at the bottom of the championship ......yes the Stats are correct in the first post.

they are the same stats as Mr Smith would get from Class 3C from Bilton High, maybe he is the answer, it cant be any worse and a lot cheaper

All ears :thinking about:

Grendel

Another fact is king would never have considered the club if thorn was manager. Another fact is if we had kept those players we would have had a board with a more serious gameplan so they would not have thrown the managers hat to the chief scout. Another fact is we are as good as relegated. Another fact is thorn will be gone by year end anyway.

Grendel

Colonel Mustard

Lack of goalscorers is our main problem. So what did SISU do? Sell the only player that could score. Not a problem to SISU as a lot of our fans blame AT for us not scoring enough.

Juke was sold in the middle of January when CCFC were bottom of the table by seven points (effectively eight considering goal difference). He would have entered the final year of his contract come the summer and, with L1 status to boot, his value would have plummeted. All things considered, it was the right move to cash in on him now. The sale even gave AT a last roll of the dice with HH and AN (remember all the posts about "Did Juke hold us back?")

Had AT's side shown the slightest sign that they might be capable of fighting out of this mess, then keeping Juke would have been a worthwhile move; but we've been in the relegation zone since November and are the model of consistency.

AT might not have had King this season, but he did have Eastwood, McSheffrey, Jutkiewicz, Platt. No superstars among 'em, but I refuse to believe that a half-decent manager couldn't have squeezed a non-relegation number of goals out of that lot.

Astute

Another fact is king would never have considered the club if thorn was manager. King was going to sign until Brum came in for him.

Another fact is if we had kept those players we would have had a board with a more serious gameplan so they would not have thrown the managers hat to the chief scout. Correct.

Another fact is we are as good as relegated. Yes, but not relegated yet. Looks like 3 points from safety.

Another fact is thorn will be gone by year end anyway. Most teams that have a poor season get rid of the manager so good chance of being correct

Grendel

My king comment was aimed at the fact that he only played here at all because of boothroyd. The only chance we had to retain him was to retain boothroyd. Once he left that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread