Does anyone remember a BBC 1960's football soap United!? (1 Viewer)

TheVodkaYeti

Hi everybody!

I'm here under false pretenses as such, as in - I'm not a Sky Blues fan! :censored:

But before you get ready to boot me out the door, please let me explain, I come in peace and with a specific Coventry City-related purpose.

Between 1965 and 1967 there was a BBC football drama/soap opera United!, transmitted twice a week, about the day-to-day triumphs and tribulations around fictional team Brentwich United, and some scenes were filmed at Coventry's old Highfield Road.

Alas all 147 episodes were wiped in the late 60's/early 70's during the BBC's infamous purge, some of you will have heard about missing episodes of Doctor Who and Dad's Army, but have a look here at how much archive tv was lost, including the whole of United!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lost_BBC_episodes

So where do I and you fit in to all this?

Well I'm compiling as much information and detail in order to launch a website dedicated to this long lost programme, and through this forum (with your Admin's kind permission) try to find any press clippings/articles and/or photos from the time, material that some City fans may still have in a scrapbook somewhere, material that can be shared online to the world and never lost! I'd also like to include any reviews from people who watched it.

I've already contacted the club, local newspapers, the British Film Institute, the BBC, and a few people who have already written the odd online article about this rarely known programme. Now I'm in the lengthy process of contacting all the surviving actors, actresses, writers and major production staff, to see if they have any items or anecdotes to share.

Unlike Doctor Who, it seems United! was not sold abroad at the time, which means it's unlikely copies were made, so we may never ever see one minute of it again, but who knows, a dedicated website may prompt someone to submit a photo, a script, an audio clip? :)

If you've got any information or input you'd like to share, please do so by private message or on this thread.

Many thanks and good luck in your new season! :)

Otis

I do kind of remember it being filmed at Highfield Road, but honestly can't remember anything else and never saw it either.

I used to keep press clipings at the time, but they were always only related to City matches.

Good luck in your quest.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You might try Deanocity. He's the archive genius on here. Type the name in the search box and contact him via private message. He may have something tucked away somewhere.

J

Jack Griffin

I can remember Four Feather Falls if that is any help?

:) thought not.. sorry

TheVodkaYeti

deano, the IMDB info is incomplete, my research so far has discovered that the football scenes were filmed at three stadiums, Victoria Ground, St Andrews and Highfield Road.

Fortunately I have tracked down one of the show's directors, so I'm hoping he will shed more light on this :)

Como

I vaguely remember the TV Series, I do not remember there being a Coventry connection.

Back in the B&W days.

Wonder if the Evening Telegraph has any mention?

Floozysooz

Yes, I was in it! Just as an extra. I was a student physiotherapist at the QE Hospital at the time and with a friend I joined a folk singing club. One of the scenes of the programme took place in a folk singing club and we were invited to take part. The scene opened on me with a beer in my hand. Except that in the rehearsal it was a half pint of cold tea!! In the second take it was the real thing (I don’t like beer); in the third take it was a pint glass of cold tea again and the final take was a full pint of beer—fortunately I was only required to take a sip before the camera moved to the real actors! I don’t think they were very happy about us taking part as we weren’t in a union!

Users who are viewing this thread