Do you think (1 Viewer)

stevefloyd

Do you think we collectively as fans are responsible for our own downfall? When the team was playing well everyone was cheering hardly any of the players could do nothing wrong but now as the team struggle to find any form boos are ringing out for a young player who misses a penalty, cheers are made when a player gets subbed, I know if I was a player out there I would dread coming to work, maybe if some of the boo boys could maybe chill out and actually try and support the team throughout we may get the train back on its rails...obviously this is just a thought but young lads need encouraging not discouraging !!!

oucho

Errrrrrrr....no

mark_ccfc

Errrrrrrr....yes, football fans are always the same, all cheers and smiles while things are going well, quiet grump, moaning as soon as things do not. While it isn't CV the whole reason we have slumped, it certainly doesn't help.

Young Murphy, who comes in for a lot of stick, I noticed has hit the post three times in the last two games. If they had gone in everyone would be raving about him now. As it is he gets boos and called useless.

stupot07

No, its not the fans fault. We've been shit since the Gillingham win, and there has been very little booing despite the dross being served up.

Next question

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sky Blue Kid

These guys are Pros mate. They get paid for doing something most men/boys can only dream about. Strikers have barren spells, Defenders make mistakes, but at the end of the day(Football speak) This is a results business where potentially there are Multi Millions of pounds, even down here in L1 at stake. You have to hit the ground running mate, or get run over by another player that's even more hungry for success than you are. There is only one changing room, a winning one.

Last edited:

mark_ccfc

They might be pros but they are still human and will respond to the crowd. They are playing against equally talented professionals, sometimes an encouraging crowd is enough to give them that bit of an edge required to win a game. No one said it was the fans fault for our bad run, but the fans might well have made a difference if they had been more positive.

skybluegod

Would say yes, earlier in the season, the atmosphere was superb for a lot of games, which helped the players to bounce back after set backs, atmosphere has been very flat at recent home games, which really take away from the home advantage effect. Not entirely the fans fault of course, but I think it is one of many contributing factors

higgs

If the players looked up for it we would drive them on but lately they didn't seem to be interested only in picking up their pay cheques

skybluesam66

12th january 10 minutes to go v walsall we were winning 1-0
We were about to go 23 points clear of barnsley - and in to 2nd with a home match coming up against table toppers Burton

less than 12 weeks later
Barnsley are now 5 points ahead of us with a game in hand
Burton who we could have overtaken in those games have only taken 22 points from 15 games since then (mid table form) - but yet have still pulled away from us

the walsall and burton games, the team has never had so much backing, yet this was the real turning point

so no - not the fans this time

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Errrrrrrr....yes, football fans are always the same, all cheers and smiles while things are going well, quiet grump, moaning as soon as things do not. While it isn't CV the whole reason we have slumped, it certainly doesn't help.

Young Murphy, who comes in for a lot of stick, I noticed has hit the post three times in the last two games. If they had gone in everyone would be raving about him now. As it is he gets boos and called useless.

Young Murphy?

He's a professional footballer. If he's not putting in the effort required he is going to get stick. The solution to that if he doesn't like it is to put in more effort.

He may have had slightly better performances in the last couple of games, but how can anyone forget the previous 15, when we might as well have been playing with 10 men?

Paxman II

Fans can influence a game, the twelfth man syndrome, but in all honesty NO. If it was the case then how have Burton had such a fantastic season with only a few thousand fans each week? They get on and win games in front of 3000 each week. Proof it does not need massive screaming supporting fans to win games as a professional footballer.

Sky Blue Kid

I will guarantee you this... unless you are within a couple of feet of a "Mega Mouth" supporter giving you grief, you hear f**k all but a massive noise for 45+ mins.... then wash, rinse and repeat for the next 45 mins. ;) A switched on Pro hears nothing! How many times have you seen Keepers, defenders, even strikers smash into the goal posts? That's because they are concentrating so hard on the game it never crosses a true Pros mind about getting hurt. Ergo.. they hear nothing!

usskyblue

It's not a cause, it's a reaction to what's being witnessed.

Does it help? Probably not. I would imagine it only contributes to the general feeling around the staff and the club as a whole.

It would be nice to think everyone would get behind the team in good times and bad, however, in our specific case, there's been a distinct shortage of good, in amongst a veritable shit load of bad.

Not gonna lie, it really pisses me off when people start walking out of the games when the lads need their support more than ever. But are the fans responsible for defeats? Absoloutley not. All we can do is lend our support and motivate those 11 players on the pitch. Its down to them to score the goals and win the game

Bob Latchford

Most definitely ! Booing their own players , not filling the Ricoh so T/M and SISU can get the best players in . the fans are a disgrace !! they should be flogged , burnt in oil , stretched on the rack . tarred and feathered !!!

skybluegod

Sport science has clearly proven that Home advantage exists, on the premise that at home it is your own supporters so you will receive support, so if the fans are negative, or outnumbered- removing the effects of home advantage, as both teams will have an equal number of supporters being positive, then obviously it does have an effect on performance and results.
So yes it does have an effect, but it isn't the only factor, and it's not the biggest either.

Hobo

It's the same at any club, fans cheer the successes and boo the poor performance.
Fans will stick by a team if there is effort and a sense something might happen.

That's why Tommy Hutch and David Bennett were favourites with the fans. They weren't always on form but they kept trying and the next time they ran at the defender they might open them up....Fans rise to anticipation and possibilities too. Players have to give fans at least some belief.

Gazolba

Sport science has clearly proven that Home advantage exists, on the premise that at home it is your own supporters so you will receive support, <snip>

The advantage of playing at home is not just the supporters, it's also a familiar pitch and dressing room and not having to travel as far. We do, however, know as a fact that encouragement and praise raises performances and criticism lowers them. This applies to almost every endeavour.

skybluegod

The advantage of playing at home is not just the supporters, it's also a familiar pitch and dressing room and not having to travel as far. We do, however, know as a fact that encouragement and praise raises performances and criticism lowers them. This applies to almost every endeavour.

i didn't say it was just the supporters, but it's the biggest contributing factor from playing at home.

stevefloyd

I never said we as fans are responsible for defeats, maybe I should have written partly responsible for our downfall, we don't seem to have a home advantage too often whereas the away support is fantastic, obviously something else is going on for us to be on this dreadful run but we as 'fans' are we really doing our bit to try and lift the atmosphere?

Users who are viewing this thread