Do you remember ? (1 Viewer)

Gaz71

3ab75978208091729857ef98c786932c.png
just spotted this on football flashbacks, from Easter 92.
Any memories from the team or stand out games from anyone?

Bruce the Boot

Tottenham last game of the season , kicking off late and surviving against all the odds !

Bob Latchford

Beating Stoke 0-1 , Luton 1-0 , Everton [Then Champions ] 4-1 to survive another season .

Happy_Martian

I won't mention the terrible trip to Cambridge Utd in the Cup (partly due to our coach going to Cambridge Citys ground by mistake, Lee Hursts awful deflected own goal and the Cambridge fans acting like morons) but a couple of other games stand out in my memory:

Elland Road, Leeds beat Cov 2-0 but the one incident I remember is Stewart Robson tackling David Batty in about the 80th minute from behind and injuring the Leeds player, taking him out of the final few games of Leeds Championship run.

Villa Park, last game. Villa score and most Cov fans in the ground (including thousands in the Holte End who decided to relocate to the Cov end by running the whole stretch of the pitch after 20 mins :rolleyes: ) turn to their radios for news on the Notts County vs Luton game, the result would decide if we stayed up or not. Remaining 70 mins, and although Villa scored again, mixed messages mean Notts County have saved us or Luton have sent us down. Even the Villa fans were cheering randomly just to piss us off :) 90 mins, a loss but major sighs of relief.

Note: Although we stayed up thanks to Notts County beating Luton, they were relegated to Division 1. The following season 92-93, the Coventry City ballboys were given tracksuits to wear at games. The colours were black with white and gold trim. "Thanks Notts County" :)

Bob Latchford

I won't mention the terrible trip to Cambridge Utd in the Cup (partly due to our coach going to Cambridge Citys ground by mistake, Lee Hursts awful deflected own goal and the Cambridge fans acting like morons) but a couple of other games stand out in my memory:

Elland Road, Leeds beat Cov 2-0 but the one incident I remember is Stewart Robson tackling David Batty in about the 80th minute from behind and injuring the Leeds player, taking him out of the final few games of Leeds Championship run.

Villa Park, last game. Villa score and most Cov fans in the ground (including thousands in the Holte End who decided to relocate to the Cov end by running the whole stretch of the pitch after 20 mins :rolleyes: ) turn to their radios for news on the Notts County vs Luton game, the result would decide if we stayed up or not. Remaining 70 mins, and although Villa scored again, mixed messages mean Notts County have saved us or Luton have sent us down. Even the Villa fans were cheering randomly just to piss us off :) 90 mins, a loss but major sighs of relief.

Note: Although we stayed up thanks to Notts County beating Luton, they were relegated to Division 1. The following season 92-93, the Coventry City ballboys were given tracksuits to wear at games. The colours were black with white and gold trim. "Thanks Notts County" :)
Remember it well . a Cov kid scoring the winner for county . regis scoring for villa [kaaaaant] oh and Don the tosser Howe.

Bob Latchford

Brylowes

I remember being at Villa park last day of the season and staying up by the skin of our teeth
Tottenham last game of the season , kicking off late and surviving against all the odds !
Beating Stoke 0-1 , Luton 1-0 , Everton [Then Champions ] 4-1 to survive another season .

We must have had one hell of a squad, according to this we were
Away at Villa

Away at Spurs
And
Home to Everton
All on the last day ;)

ccfcway

all irrelevant.

Grendal would have us believe that if we get promoted this season SISU will have taken us to our highest league position in 50 years

Rusty Trombone

According to the 11v11 website we used 4 goalkeepers in the 91/92 season, if you can name them all without cheating I will still accuse you of cheating.

Sick Boy

all irrelevant.

Grendal would have us believe that if we get promoted this season SISU will have taken us to our highest league position in 50 years

Some of comments on this forum have indicated that more than a few members would see a promotion to the Championship as a far bigger achievement than staying in the top flight for 34 years.

Grendel

Some of comments on this forum have indicated that more than a few members would see a promotion to the Championship as a far bigger achievement than staying in the top flight for 34 years.

Exactly. It's a lack of top 6 finish that's the reason for poor crowds apparantly.

theferret

We were terrible towards the end of that season, very lucky to stay up. Three games into the following season we were top of the PL. Felt sorry for Gould, had the rug pulled from under him in January. 14th was a false position in 92/93, although I recall we dropped about 4 places in the league courtesy of a last minute Leeds equaliser on the final day.

Rusty Trombone

So we had Oggy, Sealey for 2 games, Heald for 2 games. The other one played once, in the League Cup second leg away at Rochdale, we won 4:0 in the first leg, did anyone go to the away leg?

Users who are viewing this thread