Director of Football (1 Viewer)

It's a controversial issue, but it's a lot more common these days for clubs to appoint a Director of Football, whilst deciding to employ a Head Coach rather than a manager. If used correctly a DoF can be very effective, but as we've seen over the past few years, they can also be detrimental to a club's chances of success. So whats your view on the role of Director of Football? Does it bring much needed assistance to a club and it's manager or just get in the way? Drop your opinions below and the best answers will be read out on Thursday's episode of Sports Lounge, live from 10am on 98.6 Hillz FM

H

Huckerby

Up to the manager I reckon. Some may prefer it some may not.

chiefdave

If you've got a young manager and an experienced DoF it can work, obviously as long as they get on.

With the high turnover of managers I wouldn't be supposed to see more clubs adopt the model of American sports. Have a DoF or GM who signs players, managers, coaches and a head coach who is purely responsible for working with the players supplied.

Would remove the issue of having to rebuild every few months when a new manager comes in.

Terry Gibson's perm

Depends on who the director of football is get one like Chelsea's one no thanks but equally there are some good ones.

In some clubs it could be a waste of budget.

oucho

Where has it really worked? Can't think of any examples.

SkyBlue_Bear83

A large reason why DOF are popular is so you have a continuity and a long term philosophy in place irrelevant of manager, it means when the head coach moves on you just bring in the next one to fill the gap instead of ripping everything up and starting from scratch everytime a manager is replaced.

Personally I think they can be good provided you get the right man, if you get the wrong man they can be destructive.

rupert_bear

The manager has to be the only one who decides what players are signed, sometimes had no choice who goes if cash is needed

Grendel

I thought you were very keen on Andy Thorn being director of football?

ccfc1234

See the man Tottenham signed from Southampton to be their Director of football/head of recruitment - not worked out badly at all.

As for CCFC yes if it the right person but there're too few and far between. Ray Ranson was good and if you belive the press we missed out on Henderson on a perm deal as SISU did not back him.

But look where Dann, Gunner and Fox are now compared to CCFC?

skybluetony176

Probably a technicality.

Yeah I'm struggling to see the difference. For all intents and purposes as far as I can tell MV would be doing the same job if his title was director of football.

It's down to the manager as far as I'm concerned. If he feels that it's a void that he doesn't want to take but needs filling then a director of football / technical director is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread