Desktop PC (1 Viewer)

Fysnkysc

Will tag this on here. Daughter is talking about a “keyboard and mouse computer” again and I’m very keen to move her off iPads and onto proper computers. Was thinking about building one but haven’t been keeping up with PC stuff for years as I’ve been Mac only work and home.

I want a funky case an 8 year old would like, some funky accessories, then enough capacity to upgrade if she moves beyond Roblox and Fortnite for gaming or wants to get into video editing or similar. For now though it doesn’t need to do much more than browsing, very light programming, and very light gaming (think low settings Roblox and Fortnite not Far Cry 6)

I’m fine other than picking a motherboard CPU and GPU, but haven’t been following to know what combination of those is best and gives me enough headroom for upgrades.

Can use this website to have a play around. This is just a few parts and it gives you prices compares them to other national shops.

(You might need to.vhange location to UK under the lil man at the top)

San Francisco

Will tag this on here. Daughter is talking about a “keyboard and mouse computer” again and I’m very keen to move her off iPads and onto proper computers. Was thinking about building one but haven’t been keeping up with PC stuff for years as I’ve been Mac only work and home.

I want a funky case an 8 year old would like, some funky accessories, then enough capacity to upgrade if she moves beyond Roblox and Fortnite for gaming or wants to get into video editing or similar. For now though it doesn’t need to do much more than browsing, very light programming, and very light gaming (think low settings Roblox and Fortnite not Far Cry 6)

I’m fine other than picking a motherboard CPU and GPU, but haven’t been following to know what combination of those is best and gives me enough headroom for upgrades.

You could definitely build a solid and upgradeable system for around the £600-£700 mark.

pipkin73

Mine was crashing and going very slow. 1 memory stick had collapsed and the harddrive was giving me warnings.

Went to my friends shop and he built me a new one, 32 gigs ram and upgraded the harddrive to SSD, ghosted my old harddrive over so windows and all my old files and programs stayed.

He took my old pc for parts and only charged me 80€.

Might be an idea for you rather than paying out to build one yourself.

The motherboard is also upgradable to 64 gigs Ram and can run up to 4 monitors at the same time.

Sick Boy

I’ve had a MacBook Pro since 2019 and not really used Windows. What do you reckon to the M2 Airs vs a desktop for around €1.500? It’d get used for around 50 hours a week and in the words of Johnson be used for some “big fuck off spreadsheets”.

Fysnkysc

I’ve had a MacBook Pro since 2019 and not really used Windows. What do you reckon to the M2 Airs vs a desktop for around €1.500? It’d get used for around 50 hours a week and in the words of Johnson be used for some “big fuck off spreadsheets”.
Depends on you I have the 2021 macbook pro m1 chip I believe, I use it for work only.

As I say to every9ne if you plan on gaming get a pc if you plan on doing work and productivity get a macbook.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I recently bought two refurbished HP laptops, one for me and one for 'er indoors. Both the same. 1TB rom. 16GB ram and both with Windows 11 loaded. £249 each. Work beautifully. I use mine mostly for music editing, video editing and Photoshop.

Sick Boy

Depends on you I have the 2021 macbook pro m1 chip I believe, I use it for work only.

As I say to every9ne if you plan on gaming get a pc if you plan on doing work and productivity get a macbook.
Cheers, do you reckon going for MBP M2 is worth the money? Or better to save a bit and get an M1?

Users who are viewing this thread