Dementia: This could be massive for the game of rugby couldn't it. (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

I played 3 seasons for Pinley and the Standard in the 80's. Luckily I played centre and not as a prop,so even though I got some knocks and bruises, I managed to avoid serious injury. But saw some bad injuries during matches, but back then health and safety was usually a case of get on with it,or go off. So not surprised top level rugby has now got these happening.

ccfc92

I appreciate it is a serious issue, but did make me laugh when he said he couldn't remember wiining the RWC in Oz.

Rugby lot on night's out, I don't think it's a bang on the head!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Who are these players suing and why? Boxers get their heads smashed around, footballers head balls and rugby players get tackled. The list could go on, e.g. martial arts, motor racing, horse racing, mountaineering, sky diving etc. But to engage in sport is THEIR choice. Surely they know the risks before they take part in their chosen sport? I wasn't surprised to hear that this started in the States, with players in the NFL suing for the "damage caused by playing American Football". Typical yank "sue everyone" culture. I used to play in goals for years and now suffer severe arthritis in my knees and hands. I was told this was more than likely due to my playing days. But there is NO WAY I would be looking to sue anyone for the pain I'm now in.

Otis

These players HAVE been diagnosed as having Dementia at a very early age though and they are saying the NFL were putting things in place and the RFU didn't follow suit

bringbackrattles

Who are these players suing and why? Boxers get their heads smashed around, footballers head balls and rugby players get tackled. The list could go on, e.g. martial arts, motor racing, horse racing, mountaineering, sky diving etc. But to engage in sport is THEIR choice. Surely they know the risks before they take part in their chosen sport? I wasn't surprised to hear that this started in the States, with players in the NFL suing for the "damage caused by playing American Football". Typical yank "sue everyone" culture. I used to play in goals for years and now suffer severe arthritis in my knees and hands. I was told this was more than likely due to my playing days. But there is NO WAY I would be looking to sue anyone for the pain I'm now in.
I get what your saying Houch but I think it's because many rugby players weren't aware of the dangers of getting head injuries and that it could lead to getting early dementia or other serious problems. As footballers who headed heavy footballs in the past like Jeff Astle who never knew that it would sadly shorten his life,as it has many others. But you have a point too as all sport especially sports like rugby,boxing, horse riding etc, are dangerous when anything could happen, but the person surely goes into it knowing this ? I love my job cleaning windows but know if I fall off my ladder I could end up in hospital or even lose my life, but I take that risk, and put those thoughts out of my head, but if I did come off them it would have been down to my fault and nobody else's.

chiefdave

Think the NFL one was because the league knew there was an issue but did nothing about it. Has rugby done anything about concussions and head injuries? It must be one of the most obvious sports needing to address it so if they've ignored it they could have a problem.

Said before when this has come up why is there so much focus on heading the ball in football but, at the time, no mention of sports like rugby, boxing etc.

Covstu

They were talking about Gary Pallister on talksport not long ago around early signs of dementia. Everytime he gets a headache he panics thinking it’s getting worse. I think historically there hasn’t been the awareness, technology in balls, better medical facilities etc so I can kind of understand why some players are doing this but equally this isn’t an issue that’s going to go away without a massive impact to the sport. Imagine football without heading or less contact in Rugby (rather no rugby but that’s me), no punching to the head in boxing etc. Just wont be the same but they should be made aware, sign some kind of waiver if they wish to continue.

Liquid Gold

The CTE issue in the NFL has meant a load of new rules about what hits are acceptable, injury timeouts, independent doctor concussion protocols, modern helmet design.

I genuinely don't know how you can have rugby as a sport without these dangers. If they say it's unsafe then they will have to shut it down.

Sbarcher

Amazing how much is now going on with football and rugby when there are 2 men who go in a boxing ring and try to knock 10 bells out of each other. Although it can be an exciting "sport", when I think about it, I wonder how it is ever able to carry on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread