Deegan the Destroyer (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

It's easy to lose track of just what a pivotal role this guy played in the first half.

Boro were enjoying the majority of play early on and we were struggling to find space to play our passing game in the middle. Gradually, one at a time, Deegan went about disrupting the opposition players. It was sometimes as little as slight physical contact when following-up pressing, added to a couple of tackles he was never going to win-but let the opposition know we were there, and it really disrupted them. Countless times.

Gradually he started going in harder-and harder. The Boro play became increasingly fragmented, and they retaliated by making countless stupid fouls

And then there was the Deegan Special, almost invisible unless you watch really carefully: he gobs off, almost at a whisper under his breath, in opponents ear. You can tell when it's happened: Deegs is jogging away, looking downwards, and suddenly there will be a tirade of abuse in his direction or a complaint to the ref from the player he's jogging away from. Again, it disrupts opponents, distracts their focus from their game, and makes them angry and looking for revenge. It leads to mistakes.

I said earlier this season that he must be a horrible player to play against-a real nasty piece of work. But he's our nasty piece of work; and we've lacked someone like that since Wisey. It also rubs off on team-mates, who suddenly realise that you are allowed to tackle!

And this isn't even his greatest asset-to me that's his first-time passing and his late runs into goal-scoring positions. But his most important attribute in the context of this side is that nasty, destructive side. It transforms us from wilting wallflowers into tigers.

And Thorn got it spot on subbing him when he did-his job was done, and Bell followed his lead by winning more tackles in 45 minutes than he has all season so far. Well done, Deegs-your vital part in this win has not gone unnoticed.

Sky_Blue_Daz

And he showed a great bit of skill first half when he went onto his left and turned back onto his right and completly lost his marker

Nonleagueherewecome

Aye, that was classy. He played a few decent passes when he eventually got some space, too.

Si80

We must have been watching a different game, because I thought he was poor today.

The game seemed to pass both him and Clingan by in the first half and I think he was subbed because Thorn realised he was more likely to get a 2nd silly yellow and bring us down to 10 men too.

I'm a fan of him, just didn't think he was at the races today.

Nonleagueherewecome

He wasn't first 10 minutes, then he went about systematically kicking or winding up every single midfielder on the Boro side. Thomson and Robson are experienced Scotland internationals with a wealth of Old Firm experience, and he got well and truly in their faces and under their skin. One red card later, Coventry win! Deegan subbed as he'd done his job and AT has learnt from the Leicester game.

stupot07

We must have been watching a different game, because I thought he was poor today.

The game seemed to pass both him and Clingan by in the first half and I think he was subbed because Thorn realised he was more likely to get a 2nd silly yellow and bring us down to 10 men too.

I'm a fan of him, just didn't think he was at the races today.

I tend to agree with you....he had a couple of moments but I thought he was fairly anonymous in the first half, when boro were pinging the ball round with ease at times.

Nonleagueherewecome

I'd love to know exactly the sort of WUM stuff he says to the opposition: I heard his language when he came off injured against Leamington and it was a distinct shade of blue! Bet he could give Pete & Dud a run for their money ;)

covcity4life

sorry non league,i felt he was non existent first half,passing was poor and basically ran around without making any tackles

vs brighton he was awesome though and is a vital cog

Nonleagueherewecome

I tend to agree with you....he had a couple of moments but I thought he was fairly anonymous in the first half, when boro were pinging the ball round with ease at times.

Indeed the whole point of this thread is that what Deegan did may have been completely un-noticed by many people.

Nonleagueherewecome

sorry non league,i felt he was non existent first half,passing was poor and basically ran around without making any tackles

vs brighton he was awesome though and is a vital cog

When he didn't make tackles, the ball may have been gone-certainly that's what the ref was watching-and that's when he did the subtle follow-through, little shove, and the quiet "Your mother is a c***" in the ear ;)

Sky_Blue_Daz

And I had a fiver on him to score first goal. Im convinced Mc Sheffery should have squared the ball to him, for the first goal

Nonleagueherewecome

i think your just seeing something that wasnt there

horses for courses,we won!

And I think I noticed a lot of things that you didn't. The 3 people I sat with certainly noticed..add the likes above, and that's at least 7 of us paying proper attention! Maybe I just like him as I used to be a dirty bastard of a midfielder too.

covcity4life

as i said different opinions

dont make out that was i wasnt paying attentions,as others above have same views as me

as i said above its different opinions,dont throw yor toys out of the pram

Nonleagueherewecome

OK I'm chilled, but if you say I'm seeing things that aint there, you have to accept me coming back with "I know what I saw and IMO you missed it" ;)

PVA

Agree, but if he has to go off at half time to avoid him being sent off then he needs to rein it in a bit.

I think he has been booked in every game since he came back from injury and his disciplinary record in Ireland was dismal.

Last edited:

covcity4life

getting booked is gonna come with his game though,i felt his yellow today was harsh but i was on opposite side of the pitch to be fair

his return has led to 3 home wins,no coincidence,just today it was thanks to others

Nonleagueherewecome

Now we all need to chill..it's all opinions when we talk football, obviously: but people will defend their opinions. I can equally see how people may have missed Deegans valuable contribution...that's the point of the thread!

covcity4life

cos your opening can or worms for no reason

saying i think that something didnt happen is not fact,its my opinion

i never saw deegan mouth anything,and if he did i dont think it contributed to the red cards,im not saying it didnt happen,im saying i dont think it made the difference,i could be wrong,maybe im right

covcity4life

nywhoo,lets hope deegan continues to wind up other teams up, im sure next game he will be back at the races physique wise

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Deegan the Destroyer!!

GaryDeegan2.jpg

Nonleagueherewecome

So good you said it twice!! :p

I didn't! Dunno how that happened.. I'd remove one but then you'd sound odd, so I'll leave it. The ladies (or some gay men) won't mind, I'm sure.

Nonleagueherewecome

Doh, now I do sound gay...there's no way outa this one! Damn you and your photoshop entrapments!

Astute

More to this, I would say that Deegs reminds me of Vinny Jones. One of the main cogs behind Wimbledon. He stopped his opponents playing. Who could ever forget the time he grabbed Gazza by the balls? :laugh: Not one of the best players I have ever seen, but was very good at what he did. It is not always the way the things that is easy to see. It is not always the way the balls are played(although Gazza might disagree) Teams need a player to do a bit of unsettling. Then red cards can come out. Even yellows can change the way opponents play.

stupot07

I'd love to know exactly the sort of WUM stuff he says to the opposition: I heard his language when he came off injured against Leamington and it was a distinct shade of blue! Bet he could give Pete & Dud a run for their money ;)

He definitely shouted "moose!" at the Bristol city left back when he was closing him down.

Users who are viewing this thread