Decisions, Decisions (1 Viewer)

Irish Sky Blue

By my reckoning these have been the poor decisions we have been on the end of so far this season.
Tudgey's goal at Rochdale disallowed.
Penalty against at Millwall, their player dived.
Ryan Kent's goal against Chesterfield.
Penalty against at Bury.
On the face of it the cost has been a place in the second round of the League Cup and a point at Bury. (However, you can't always guarantee that the course of the game wouldn't be changed by a different decision).
With my sky blue glasses on, I can't think of a dodgy decision we have benefitted from this season. (Even Vincelot's goal at Burton was proved to be valid). Are we therefore 4-0 down in the poor decision stakes and due some luck?

Gint11

It's the same for every team, even itself out over the course of the season.

It's not the point though is it. We need to use better technology. I know its a fine line with getting it right and not having a stop start game but it wouldn't take long to wait for an official with a replay on the side to double check decisions. The OP is right, we have already lost points on bad decisions.

stupot07

It's not the point though is it. We need to use better technology. I know its a fine line with getting it right and not having a stop start game but it wouldn't take long to wait for an official with a replay on the side to double check decisions. The OP is right, we have already lost points on bad decisions.

Not for me, it would slow the game down far too much and then we would lose a lot of the talking points that make football such a great sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Did anyone see that Tottenham one against Man City at the weekend? That was ridiculously way offside.

It is annoying when obvious ones go against you for sure.

shmmeee

Not for me, it would slow the game down far too much and then we would lose a lot of the talking points that make football such a great sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

I disagree completely. With video replay it's not a case of "debate" for fans, we know exactly what the right decision was well before the game is even over in most cases. It puts referees in a shit position as well.

You could easily introduce offside and goal line tech and video replays to the 4th official for goals, penalties and red cards without slowing the game noticeably. In controversial incidents players are arguing anyway and a quick call to a 4th official who can give a judgement based on replay might even speed things up.

Personally I'd be in favour of limited general request for replay viewing, but I can understand some wouldn't want that. But I think the 4th official and some of the more reliable tech is a good compromise.

stupot07

I disagree completely. With video replay it's not a case of "debate" for fans, we know exactly what the right decision was well before the game is even over in most cases. It puts referees in a shit position as well.

You could easily introduce offside and goal line tech and video replays to the 4th official for goals, penalties and red cards without slowing the game noticeably. In controversial incidents players are arguing anyway and a quick call to a 4th official who can give a judgement based on replay might even speed things up.

Personally I'd be in favour of limited general request for replay viewing, but I can understand some wouldn't want that. But I think the 4th official and some of the more reliable tech is a good compromise.

Where do you stop? The free kick to Clarkes opener was debatable, and what about accumulation of fouls and potentially yellow cards leading to red, or vice versa someone wrongly getting a yellow then being suspended? Or what about grappling in the box at corners? Review every corner and if there's grappling giving a pen? And what if a ball is wrongly given as a corner and you concede from it? Should we check every corner decision?

I agree with goal line technology, but replays will just slow it down. You see it in cricket and rugby. By the time the 4th official has watched it back 3-4 different angles and full and slow mo. And then there's the interpretation of what a foul is, in the actual football rules a player doesn't have to actually touch a player for it to be a foul.

Who's going to pay for the technology? You only have to watch the football league show to see that when you're not a featured game you have 1 long distance camera angle.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Part of the appeal for sport is the 'we woz robbed' and the game of chance, the what-ifs. Take that away, and you take away part of the fun which is about emotion, not science.

Plus we've seen in the Rugby World Cup how even then the debates can go on for an eternity.

shmmeee

Hang on, so no tech because it stops debate, but also no tech because it doesn't stop the debates?

NorthernWisdom

Tsk, I expected better.

The argument is invalid if the desire is to restrict debate, as it doesn't. Therefore there is little point in devolving the debate to a slightly staged staccato one as opposed to the organic one.

If however you want an argument about it restricting debates, then that's a flawed premise in the first place as the hard/good luck story is the essence of what sport is. Therefore, the desire to restrict the good/bad luck story mechanises the human.

georgehudson

the answer i feel is to improve the standard of the officials,
i.e. referees & assistant referees,
this season we seem to have attracted a particularly poor crop,
messrs Ilderton, Bond, Miller, et al.,
i know we are in the third tier of english football, but,
the actual standard of refereeing has reached an all time low,
reffing by numbers, a la Rennie, seems to be the norm,
i agree with ISB, we have been dealt bum hands so far this season,
& i wonder who will be foist upon us vs Shrewsbury

ajsccfc

Who will be in charge when we face the Shrews,
A good referee is who I would choose,
More poor decisions will give us the blues,
Must have own shoes,

krambo

Talk about it all you want.The penalty was given for the shirt pull as Clarke got into the box.Photo proves it on our site.Not many would have seen it so,well done liner.

wingy

Part of the appeal for sport is the 'we woz robbed' and the game of chance, the what-ifs. Take that away, and you take away part of the fun which is about emotion, not science.

Plus we've seen in the Rugby World Cup how even then the debates can go on for an eternity.

This Is the argument put forward by Blatter,I suspect you knew that.
For me It doesn't wash as getting the correct decision and result In a game overrides all else.
On the time Issue there may be minimal Impact as players tend to besiege the ref at these times anyway.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

the answer i feel is to improve the standard of the officials,
i.e. referees & assistant referees,
this season we seem to have attracted a particularly poor crop,
messrs Ilderton, Bond, Miller, et al.,
i know we are in the third tier of english football, but,
the actual standard of refereeing has reached an all time low,
reffing by numbers, a la Rennie, seems to be the norm,
i agree with ISB, we have been dealt bum hands so far this season,
& i wonder who will be foist upon us vs Shrewsbury

Christopher Sarginson is the man in the middle.

http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=1080

Reffed us in the 3-1 home defeat to Crewe at the end of last season.

Covstu

Going back to the OP, i bet every team can come up with an equal volume of decisions that didnt go their way so we are not unique in this. I was all for video tech being introduced but certainly not to the extent of what Rugby has, watching that England v Somoa game was painful. Both Rugby and Cricket are stop/start games which can probably warrent these interuptions, Football isnt in my opinion.

I would put vid tech in for goal line decisions and dubious penalties where the ref is unsure. If we do it for offsides, the game would stop every ten mins which would defeat the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread