Dear Wales... (1 Viewer)

Happy_Martian

Errr, we had Coleman. We got rid of him :)

Cymru am byth

Alkhen

Their squad is 39% English, can we have those guys back please. Williams is better than either of our centre halves

Happy_Martian

That makes Andy Thorn look like the perfect candidate for the England job :)

He's probably as good as the last 3 incumbents put together. And his tactics work on any Subbuteo pitch :stig:

ccfc1234

Their squad is 39% English, can we have those guys back please. Williams is better than either of our centre halves
Funny thing is the media would not have let the England coach take him. When the English media stop trying to inject fear into players and interfere with selection we might have a chance. England need a manger the media are scared to question a Red nose (saf) type but don't see that one happening.

Happy_Martian

Roy wouldnt have picked them anyway, they don't play for fashionable enough clubs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Long post, made it as short as I could :p

While I was born in England (Welsh Mum and Scottish Dad, somehow parents couldn't get to either border in time :joyful:), I'm not an England fan and Stupots comment is precisely why. All the way back to Terry Venables era and maybe before that, all I have ever seen is players picked for England because they're "names" or they play for fancy clubs, not because their form dictates selection. Couple of quick examples from the Euros: Jack Wilshere was selected for 3 of England's games even though he hadn't played a full 90 mins for Arsewipe since Sept '14 and played only 3 games (2 as subs) for his club in 15-16 season ? Ross Barclay played 44 games for Everton last season and scored 12 goals but wasn't picked for one of England's games. And Jamie Vardy, the most potent English striker in 15-16, gets 2 sub appearances. Is Vardy worse than Kane ? Rooney (I know he spent some time in midfield) ? It seems to be a mindset that England managers have and until they change, that final result will never happen.

Well lads, at least you can unite under the Red Dragon and enjoy the Semifinals with us against Portugal :angelic: After all, following Brexit, none of us may be invited to the Euros again ;)

Otis

Long post, made it as short as I could

While I was born in England (Welsh Mum and Scottish Dad, somehow parents couldn't get to either border in time :joyful:), I'm not an England fan and Stupots comment is precisely why. All the way back to Terry Venables era and maybe before that, all I have ever seen is players picked for England because they're "names" or they play for fancy clubs, not because their form dictates selection. Couple of quick examples from the Euros: Jack Wilshere was selected for 3 of England's games even though he hadn't played a full 90 mins for Arsewipe since Sept '14 and played only 3 games (2 as subs) for his club in 15-16 season ? Ross Barclay played 44 games for Everton last season and scored 12 goals but wasn't picked for one of England's games. And Jamie Vardy, the most potent English striker in 15-16, gets 2 sub appearances. Is Vardy worse than Kane ? Rooney (I know he spent some time in midfield) ? It seems to be a mindset that England managers have and until they change, that final result will never happen.

Well lads, at least you can unite under the Red Dragon and enjoy the Semifinals with us against Portugal :angelic: After all, following Brexit, none of us may be invited to the Euros again ;)
I think Wales will beat Portugal. They look a bunch of rag tail misfits. Need to keep Ronaldo quiet though to do so.

Brylowes

Funny thing is the media would not have let the England coach take him. When the English media stop trying to inject fear into players and interfere with selection we might have a chance. England need a manger the media are scared to question a Red nose (saf) type but don't see that one happening.
Roy wouldnt have picked them anyway, they don't play for fashonable enough clubs.

#CANTO-yes

Brylowes

I think Wales will beat Portugal. They look a bunch of rag tail misfits. Need to keep Ronaldo quiet though to do so.
Yep, if they nullify Ronaldo in the same way they did Hazard, they'd be
Favourites for me.

SkyBlueSid

Yep, all three scorers against Belgium were English. Maybe we should be supporting them as a sort of England 'B' team. Nice of UEFA to let us have two goes at it.

SkyblueBazza

Yep, all three scorers against Belgium were English. Maybe we should be supporting them as a sort of England 'B' team. Nice of UEFA to let us have two goes at it.
Yep...all three scorers were also not good enough to even be considered to play for England.
For a start they don't have the right level of application to continue, in the face of adversity, to play to a non plan without panic.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Grendel

The competition has been staggering low on quality. The worst I've seen. I've missed a fair few of the post group games but it's been been sub standard.

The real final is now. Portugal would be fitting winners. Drawing every game and scraping through looking dire in every game.

Belgium were supposed to be a big team and I think are number two in FIFA rankings. Really? A small country with no real league of their own. I can't be bothered to look at the squad but are they all world class players.

The premier league is in decline and this competition is evidence of it. The German Italian and Spanish leagues are stronger and they are the best teams.

When a team like Leicester win the league and when players like Vardy and Kane are the striking partnership it's pretty desperate. Even on paper the England team looked poor, there is such a limited pool to puck from.

Brylowes

The competition has been staggering low on quality. The worst I've seen. I've missed a fair few of the post group games but it's been been sub standard.

The real final is now. Portugal would be fitting winners. Drawing every game and scraping through looking dire in every game.

Belgium were supposed to be a big team and I think are number two in FIFA rankings. Really? A small country with no real league of their own. I can't be bothered to look at the squad but are they all world class players.

The premier league is in decline and this competition is evidence of it. The German Italian and Spanish leagues are stronger and they are the best teams.

When a team like Leicester win the league and when players like Vardy and Kane are the striking partnership it's pretty desperate. Even on paper the England team looked poor, there is such a limited pool to puck from.
Your so right, the reason Belgium are so highly rated is simply because a lot of
there players play in our Premier League, which is watched everywhere.
The German , Spanish and Italian leagues are mostly made up of homegrown
talent, there's a lesson to be learnt there , but it won't be.

ccfcway

Sorry, but England should have more than enough to dispose of many of these teams.

With the right manager, playing the right players in their right positions we would have given this a real go.

Even the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

Kane and Sturridge is just as good as Pele and Eder......

ccfc1234

Tosh the PL is about to have its best season in ages with klopp, pep, Jose and conte all managing clubs with decent budgets.

Otis

Sorry, but England should have more than enough to dispose of many of these teams.

With the right manager, playing the right players in their right positions we would have given this a real go.

Even the players didn't know what they were supposed to be doing.

Kane and Sturridge is just as good as Pele and Eder......

Pele? Errm .... you sure?

Gazolba

Every so often a team comes together that is greater than the sum of its parts. The Wales versus Belgium game was the perfect game for Wales. Wales passing was like Spain, exceptional, and virtually every chance they got, they scored. All three goals were brilliant, world class goals. They were helped by a totally inept Belgium side. They could go all the way and maybe even win it, but it's difficult to see anyone beating Germany.

Otis

Every so often a team comes together that is greater than the sum of its parts. The Wales versus Belgium game was the perfect game for Wales. Wales passing was like Spain, exceptional, and virtually every chance they got, they scored. All three goals were brilliant, world class goals. They were helped by a totally inept Belgium side. They could go all the way and maybe even win it, but it's difficult to see anyone beating Germany.
We did. 1918 and then again in 45 and 66.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think the way Wales have performed has debunked the ' English players are crap' myth. Only Bale and Ramsey would definitely be starters in a combined team. Just bad tactics, player selection and luck. Whereas Wales with a small squad work together to achieve, we look at kicking out Sterling, Wilshere, Kane etc etc the minute there is a dip, because we have so many options. If Barkley was Welsh, he'd start every game, the same with a load of other who didn't make the squad. Bit gutted for Wales that Ramsey is out, as he has been outstanding for them. As for Robson Kanu being linked with4 x prem clubs (don't hold your breath to see how he disappears from the radar once the Euros have gone - hope the lad proves me wrong).

Otis

I think the way Wales have performed has debunked the ' English players are crap' myth. Only Bale and Ramsey would definitely be starters in a combined team. Just bad tactics, player selection and luck. Whereas Wales with a small squad work together to achieve, we look at kicking out Sterling, Wilshere, Kane etc etc the minute there is a dip, because we have so many options. If Barkley was Welsh, he'd start every game, the same with a load of other who didn't make the squad. Bit gutted for Wales that Ramsey is out, as he has been outstanding for them. As for Robson Kanu being linked with4 x prem clubs (don't hold your breath to see how he disappears from the radar once the Euros have gone - hope the lad proves me wrong).
Agree with all that, Harry.

Wales have played better than England apart from the match against us, but we have the better players on the whole without any doubt.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

stupot07

Agree with all that, Harry.

Wales have played better than England apart from the match against us, but we have the better players on the whole without any doubt.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk
But better players don't necessarily mean a better team. Look at Leicester's team. Every england manager picks the best players without thinking about the system and ingredients needed to be a good team - scholes left wing, the persistence of Gerrard and lampard as a central 2, shoehorning Rooney into midfield, taking Henderson, sterling and Wilshire ahead of Drinkwater, noble and townsend....

I can't remeber if it was xavi or Alonso who said that Carrick was criminally underrated and underused by england, yhsy he'd get in the Spanish side, because of the English media and managers obsession with names and not seeing the benefit of an enabler rather than a Roy of the rovers type of midfielder.

Whoever comes in needs to pick a system and formation and stick to it, and bring in the best players that can make the system work, as opposed to just picking the 'best' players.

Last edited:

Otis

But better players don't necessarily mean a better team. Look at Leicester's team. Every england manager picks the best players without thinking about the system and ingredients needed to be a good team .

Couldn't agree more, Stu. Exactly what I have been saying. It is all about teams, not individuals.

Grendel

Couldn't agree more, Stu. Exactly what I have been saying. It is all about teams, not individuals.

Leicester are an anomaly that hasn't happened for 40 years and won't for another 40.

Happy_Martian

Leicester are an anomaly that hasn't happened for 40 years and won't for another 40.

So Operation Premiership isn't going to happen ??? :eek:

Hadji10

Tosh the PL is about to have its best season in ages with klopp, pep, Jose and conte all managing clubs with decent budgets.

We have the best managers, I'll agree. But the PL has been way behind the other leading leagues for the past 5 years. Our record in Europe rubber stamps that, and over that duration it can't be argued.

Users who are viewing this thread