David Speedie (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

One of my favourite ever City players and criminally overlooked for most of our best eleven.

His best goals for us here-judge for yourself and wallow in the nostalgia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The skill by Smith to leave the defender dead and cross to speedie in that 3rd goal I think was marvelous

Evo1883

As it goes watching that, I've never really heard much about David Smith as I was very very young , looked a very good player, skillful and a handful .. Was he

I was actually going to games back then around 89/90 I just can't remember

bringbackrattles

Sunderland fans hated Speedie after this incident, calling him all derogatory names but secretly hoping he'd one day sign for them. 😉

Fergusons_Beard

The skill by Smith to leave the defender dead and cross to speedie in that 3rd goal I think was marvelous

We’ve had several David Smith debates on here over the years.

Always looks amazing on highlights and as good a home grown player as we’ve every had.

154 top flight appearances and 19 goals (god knows how many assists).

6 years at City during a time where wingers were never protected and they got battered every game.

Evo1883

We’ve had several David Smith debates on here over the years.

Always looks amazing on highlights and as good a home grown player as we’ve every had.

154 top flight appearances and 19 goals (god knows how many assists).

6 years at City during a time where wingers were never protected and they got battered every game.

Looked like speedie owed basically everything to him lol

Fergusons_Beard

As it goes watching that, I've never really heard much about David Smith as I was very very young , looked a very good player, skillful and a handful .. Was he

I was actually going to games back then around 89/90 I just can't remember

Just look at his goals, right foot, left foot-header, volley, chip!

Just a very intelligent footballer who had the knack and the nous to be in the right place at the right time.

Never backed down, got into some scraps and always played for the shirt.

You’d love a player like him in today’s team

bringbackrattles

Just look at his goals, right foot, left foot-header, volley, chip!

Just a very intelligent footballer who had the knack and the nous to be in the right place at the right time.

Never backed down, got into some scraps and always played for the shirt.

You’d love a player like him in today’s team

Robin's is asking his players to show more fight etc, one thing that could never be aimed at Speedie.

Hutch11

Fiery little bugger who could out jump defenders twice his size, had more skill than ever given credit for and knew where the net was.
Would love him out there today or any day

Bristol sky blue

My favourite player of all time. I saw him score that hat-trick of headers against Middlesborough and he (along with David Smith, to be fair) kept us in the game even though we'd played poorly. After that I idolised him. Also loved the fact that he said he did not regard us as a small club at all when he joined from Chelsea.
Not exactly a role model in many ways, but the other players looked up to him (not literally!) and signing him was a great use of the money we got from winning the FA Cup. Scored brilliant goals and livened up dull games with flashes of temper or brilliance or both!
I remember John Fashanu sticking up for him once after Speedo had been harshly sent off. Fashanu said that he would definitely like a team of players like him, although he needed to watch his step at times. Could have been an amazing member of the Crazy Gang, but ended up at Liverpool instead... The kind of player who would have an argument in an empty room!

Users who are viewing this thread