Dan Bartlett (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Poor lad.
I'm getting more and more convinced there's more to all these injuries. Think someone needs a good luck at the training. May not be that but it wouldn't be the first time a small part of a training routine has lead to an unusually high occurrence of a certain type on injury.

shmmeee

Seem to be getting a lot of injuries this year. Have we changed fitness coach or anything?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it might be the boots - they've become far more prevalent since the advent of blades etc. Also the game is played at a more intense pace now so more strain on them.

But training is probably a part of it. With all the nutrionists, conditioning they're playing at peak performance but their playing at their physical limit. Just go slightly beyond that or not allow enough rest and you can cause a bit of damage.

clint van damme

I think it might be the boots - they've become far more prevalent since the advent of blades etc. Also the game is played at a more intense pace now so more strain on them.

But training is probably a part of it. With all the nutrionists, conditioning they're playing at peak performance but their playing at their physical limit. Just go slightly beyond that or not allow enough rest and you can cause a bit of damage.

if it was boots wouldn't there be a general increase through out football? Or maybe there has but we're just focusing on what is happening at our own club.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

if it was boots wouldn't there be a general increase through out football? Or maybe there has but we're just focusing on what is happening at our own club.

I was talking about football in general. There does seem to have been more ACL injuries in recent years than the past. Of course it might also be that thing of noticing it more because it's in your mind to begin with.

Also in the past such injuries would have almost certainly been a career ender.

fatso

The pace of the game has become too fast, and players are getting bigger and stronger and heavier (a generalisation I know) and there’s far more short burst activity, such as the constant give and go, and fast turning and twisting etc.
Just look at the size and weight of the Blackpool team we faced on Saturday, they had some massive units, it’s not surprising that careers are getting shorter and bad injuries are becoming more common.

Even pitches are playing a part, years ago we had some mud bath pitches and teams just had to lump the ball from end to end, hence very little actual football,
Today, most pitches are perfect all year round, so there’s far more demand on players joints and muscles, so your bound to see an increase in soft tissue damage, and a decrease in the number of players still active past 35 years of age.

skybluegod

There has been a general increase, it happens regularly at all levels. As Fatso alludes to it's the change in dynamic of the game, it has become a lot more fast passed, lots of sharp twists and turns, it's incredibly harsh on the knees. Very little can be done to prevent them (that won't already be being done)

TTG

Seem to be getting a lot of injuries this year. Have we changed fitness coach or anything?
Yeah we got that Southend physio...

Users who are viewing this thread