Cyrus Christie (1 Viewer)

Bertola

Everyone has been going on about Gael the season (and he's been fantastic and deserves all the praise he's getting) but for me, Christie has been even better and hasn't had anywhere near as much praise.

Granted, RB is easier for a youngster to come in and impress then playing in the middle, but Christie has improved with every game and certainly looks like he will turn in to some player and we are lucky to have both of them.

There have been times where he has made mistakes, but he seems to learn quickly

He put on twitter that he was throwing up before the game on Saturday, and felt really ill, so his performance becomes even more incredible.

Keep up the good work Cyrus!

wingy

Everyone has been going on about Gael the season (and he's been fantastic and deserves all the praise he's getting) but for me, Christie has been even better and hasn't had anywhere near as much praise.

Granted, RB is easier for a youngster to come in and impress then playing in the middle, but Christie has improved with every game and certainly looks like he will turn in to some player and we are lucky to have both of them.

There have been times where he has made mistakes, but he seems to learn quickly

He put on twitter that he was throwing up before the game on Saturday, and felt really ill, so his performance becomes even more incredible.

Keep up the good work Cyrus!

Got to get him signed up he's only contracted till next summer

kingharvest

i think its probably harder to come in at right back in some respects. If Gael makes a mistake its not the end of the world - but if christie makes one it could let someone in so a bit more pressure i think.

You're right as well, for me he's probably been the stand out player this season - given his age, experience, etc.

Rich

I don't know how Clarke is going to get back into the squad now. Christie has by far outshone JC and it would be an injustice to drop him now. The kids really are impressing me at the moment.

Rickstar8701

I don't know how Clarke is going to get back into the squad now. Christie has by far outshone JC and it would be an injustice to drop him now. The kids really are impressing me at the moment.
<br />
<br />

Too right. Jordan Clarke has never been anywhere as impressive as Cyrus

dazzled2u

Cyrus continues to improve with each match and his strength and delivery in to the box has been very impressive - I suspect the scouts at our games are just as much watching him as Gael if not more so - the lad has a big future ahead of him.

Need to sort out his contract very quickly!

kingharvest

i love the fact we have two tall full backs as well. thats really rare and gives us a good height advantage at the back.

Sterling Archer

People also seem to forget Chris Hussey when talking about our younger players. Hussey is only 21 years old isn't he? His delivery (until the downpour) on Saturday was superb, absolutely pinging them into the box.

Him and Christie have both been given a licence to bomb on and attack the wings and they're both starting to do a good job of it as each game passes.

Sky Blue Sheepy

The style of football we play suits Hussey and Christie to a T. They both bomb forward and pick up the ball from Clingan/Bell then bomb forward and the 2 ping in some beauts. Considering they're both so young, they've outshone a lot of the older members (especally some of those that have thankfully left us).

As for Jordan, glad to see him out the team, never ran at attackers and never looked sharp in defence, much happier with our back line atm.

All in all, a good weekend for Hussey, Bigi, Christie and Dunn especially.

Rich

JC never looked phased by the opposition, but I feel he is very slight for a RB. I'd have thought he would be better suited to RW, with Bellend on the bench and Bigirimana at the head of the Diamond. Now although an inexperienced team, this would be fast and productive. On another point, will Murphy get another game this Season. Wasn't Dunn outstanding in every area!

Isn't it great to see us playing the full width of the park with this formation which utilises both full backs ability to bomb forward when we attack.

I'm sure this unnerves the opposition because of the need for their midfielders/defenders to pull wide to counter this type of attacking play thus creating space elsewhere

Final crossing of the ball in the final third will improve (and is) as CH and CC rapidly gain experience and maturity.

CC reminds me of Gareth Bales type of play which includes pace and control.

PUSB

Rich

Because a lot of the ball was being played down our right wing by CC, Bigi and even Bell at times, did you noticed how much room we had on the left? Hussey always had planety of time to get his balls in as we switched the ball quickly and effectively. This could seriously be the start of a winning run for us, lest not forget we have not been hammered once this season.

Rich

You'll notice I've said all season that we are a striker away from some good results. A good striker comes in and we get a good result. Coincidence?

Sky Blue Sheepy

Confidence is a funny thing, atm I feel like we could make the playoffs - completely unfounded but still how I feel. Why is it a problem - we don't get much good feeling at Cov, fucking wel enjoy it! :pimp:

Glenn Storer

Friday the mood on here was - we'will never win another match - now we are world beaters - The life of a City fan

Clarke Carlisle on the Sky coverage didn't help!

"Reminds me of when I went up with Burnley, we couldn't win a game, then finally, we got the win and away we went".

WillieStanley

There should be no complaints of lack of service now. Nearly every cross Hussey and Christie made was superb. In fact I can only remember one particularly bad one. Their tracking back has also been absolutely awesome considering the experience Christie in particular has had.

Beginning of the season I would have shot anyone who took Keogh out of RB but Christie is phenomenal and Keogh seems to be doing a great job.

There are still improvements to be made and mistakes which need rectifying but I'd definately say my prefered back four played on saturday!!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
There should be no complaints of lack of service now. Nearly every cross Hussey and Christie made was superb. In fact I can only remember one particularly bad one. Their tracking back has also been absolutely awesome considering the experience Christie in particular has had.

Beginning of the season I would have shot anyone who took Keogh out of RB but Christie is phenomenal and Keogh seems to be doing a great job.

There are still improvements to be made and mistakes which need rectifying but I'd definately say my prefered back four played on saturday!!

Great post! Couldnt put it any better myself

Nonleagueherewecome

Agree that Husseys crossing was great first half, dangerous, curved and attacking the 6 yard box-but he horrifically over-hit 3 in the 2nd half! He was absolutely superb defensively throughout though, and played 3 lovely balls down the line outside a man and went on a couple of good runs himself later on.

My moment of the season before Saturday was the little lobbed pass that Hussey did to Eastwood(?) against Watford when it looked like he'd lost the ball. It didn't get much of a mention, but I thought it was a sublime bit of skill and determination rolled into one. Sums Hussey up for me; a fantastic prospect who has that certain something that takes young players to the next level. I said he was the next best thing to Danny Fox in non-league when we signed him, and he will only get better. A typical Thorn signing. Can you imagine what the bloke could get us with just, say, £1m to spend? Betchya there are a dozen players in non-league who will play in the prem within 5 years.

shmmeee

Hussey's 22. Thinking about it, if we can keep them together, this is the nucleus of a decent side:

Dunn - 23
Christie - 18
Cameron - 19
Cranie - 24
Hussey - 22
Clingan - 27
Deegan - 24
Thomas - 18
Bigi - 19
Jutkiewicz - 22
McDonald - 25

Just missing a DM 25 or under and we have a team hitting their peak over the next 2 or 3 years...

Problem is of course that at least Cranie and Clingan look to be off at the end of this season unless something massive changes.

Nonleagueherewecome

Something else worth saying about Cyrus-he did more damage with one long-throw than Aron did with his all last season :)

That was a much better long throw than anything we've delivered in yonks. It wasn't pretentious, no silly Monty Python Ministry Of Silly Run Ups; but it was flat, fast, at a difficult trajectory, didn't peter out before it got to the 6 yard box, and caused absolute mayhem resulting in a goal. Half of Stokes goals at throws come from mistakes, defensive headers rather than flick-ons by their players. It wasn't from miles out like Delap, but it was incredibly effective like the majority of Stokes are. I always used to say "why can't we do that?" And at last, we can. Huge credit to AT & SH for getting all the players set up in the right areas.

Not missing your throws, Aron!

Astute

And SISU still get not the slightest praise from many for the way they are turning things around :D

Not the best to have our club run by, but we are now starting to see the benefits. There are a lot of clubs that would love to have some of our players. At least I am not alone on thinking we can go on a good run now. It was only a couple of weeks ago when most thought we were in for a long relegation battle and I was offering odds for all those expecting us to get relegated.

What excites me the most is we have a few players that could be good enough for the Prem in a couple of years with a bit more experience. A lot of teams that go up from this division are built for not much money. They do have good team spirit. It looks as though we do now. They have managers overlooked by most teams. Most of them won't know who AT is. At the moment we have as much a chance of finishing in the top half as the bottom.

covcity4life

i agree about the avg age and potential,its jsut keeping them together for 2-3 years which is the hard part

sisu need to find a way to stop losing so much money that selling big players is required to carry on day to day

JulianDarbyFTW

My only worry is injuries. Lets say Clingan or Cranie get injured, what experience will we have in the cdm type role? Bigi's doing well, but how well will he do when we're left with no older heads to help him? The same applies to a lesser degree with Cyrus. I think if we lose some experienced players they may be shown up a little.

Sky Blue Sheepy

My only worry is injuries. Lets say Clingan or Cranie get injured, what experience will we have in the cdm type role? Bigi's doing well, but how well will he do when we're left with no older heads to help him? The same applies to a lesser degree with Cyrus. I think if we lose some experienced players they may be shown up a little.
Good point admittedly. The 1 saving grace here is Thorn: Under Hoofroyd the training style was overly physical - causing Turner to train whilst nursing a knock was what caused the long term injury he had and have you noticed how fewer 1st team players are getting injured? Clingan's normally picked up a knock by now, as have half the first team, yet atm we seem to get the odd short term injury.

Il Pirata

Hussey's 22. Thinking about it, if we can keep them together, this is the nucleus of a decent side:

Dunn - 23
Christie - 18
Cameron - 19
Cranie - 24
Hussey - 22
Clingan - 27
Deegan - 24
Thomas - 18
Bigi - 19
Jutkiewicz - 22
McDonald - 25

Just missing a DM 25 or under and we have a team hitting their peak over the next 2 or 3 years...

Problem is of course that at least Cranie and Clingan look to be off at the end of this season unless something massive changes.
Not to be picky but Bigi is 17.

cloughie

And SISU still get not the slightest praise from many for the way they are turning things around :D

I think it's Any Thorn who has turned this around , players he has scouted and youth players that have got the team playing in a different style. If anything sisu have got lucky by having Thorn and that was also lucky for them as it was Ranson who appointed him. All in all I can see little that sisu could be praised for on the playing side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread