CWR promoting live Wasps commentary (1 Viewer)

matesx

Wound me up this morning to hear CWR advertising their fothcoming "live commentary" on a Wasps game.

When did they become a Coventry (and Warks) team? i must have missed that.

What % of their audience do they think wants that on the local radio? - i'll take a guess at less than 1%

Cov has its own proud Rugby team thank you very much

Grrrrrrr

(ive sent them a polite email - i'll be interested in their response)

hill83

Not bothered to be honest. But as a side note, how boring must rugby radio commentary be.

"Chunky fucker on the floor" Repeat

skybluelee

I am anti-Wasps, and have now developed an interest in rugby for the first time in my life, limited exclusively to looking out for Wasps results each week in the hope they've lost.

However, the fact remains that they are now a Coventry-based club. If the people of Coventry stopped attending their matches then maybe they'd fuck off back to London more quickly.

Hobo

The fact is football fans may not be embracing them, but many rugby fans are. A lot of Coventry Rugby fans are going to watch both teams. One rugby club in Nuneaton are taking at least two coaches of their members to the Waps v Leicester game. They see it as an opportunity to see a top quality rugby game. So there are plenty of local people willing to be an audience.

like you, my support will remain with Coventry Rugby. I don't agree with sports teams being transported around the country (despite having some sympathy with their needs as a club). However it appears their are plenty of people who are willing to embrace them, many just aren't Coventry City fans or even football fans. So it is no suprise local radio are giving them coverage, in fact it would be bizarre if they weren't.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
The fact is football fans may not be embracing them, but many rugby fans are. A lot of Coventry Rugby fans are going to watch both teams. One rugby club in Nuneaton are taking at least two coaches of their members to the Waps v Leicester game. They see it as an opportunity to see a top quality rugby game. So there are plenty of local people

Aren't Nuneaton mostly Leicester? I went in a sports shop in treacle the other day and it had shed loads of tigers gear.

chiefdave

My Dad listens to CWR a lot and regularly moans to me that the amount of coverage given to Wasps is over the top. In fact he sent in a complaint to CWR, basically saying that it amounts to advertising and CWR is supposed to be a public service station. I think it must be the first thing he's ever complained about in his life! Didn't get any response as far as I know.

You could apply the same to the Telegraph. A large proportion of Wasps pieces contain ticket links, you can't say the same about pieces on CCFC. So are Wasps paying for that, in which case shouldn't it be flagged as such, or are the CT doing it off their own back, in which case shouldn't they be doing the same for us?

Hobo

Aren't Nuneaton mostly Leicester? I went in a sports shop in treacle the other day and it had shed loads of tigers gear.

I think most of them going support their own club in Nuneaton who they play and train with. To them it is just an opportunity to see some of the top players in the country.

plus every ticket they sell they get commission. At the end of the season they can have it back in cash or in Wasps training sessions.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Can we move this to the "wasps" room where their fan-boys can wank over it & us CCFC fans need not be reminded of our clubs fragile & moribund existence any more than necessary....

...Personally I'm at the point of acceptance...... a rugby franchise + the council appear to hammered the final nail into the CCFC coffin......after our previous & present owners built the coffin & supplied all the other nails....

...We are fucked.....destined to be a yo-yo L1/Championship club at the very very best if we're very very lucky.......far more likely to eventually settle into L1/L2 yo-yoing.......welcome to the reality of the situation for the foreseeable future....

Last edited:

duffer

I must confess that I'm now following Wasps progress with a lot more interest than I used to, this in the hope that they lose every game that they play. I don't hate them, or their fans, or their players, even in the slightest. I just hate the fact that they're a franchise club, and even worse one that has moved into our ground and our city to the detriment of our clubs.

If or when Cov RFC are featured on DAB with the same fanfare that Wasps get, I'll be less inclined to grumble about Wasps' coverage I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread