CWR Phone-in Friday 30/9 (1 Viewer)

Otis

All the high earners at the club moved on in the summer. Mowbray probably thought he could get some Champ players with the money.
Rather than the chump players we did get?

skybluetony176

Have the rest of the league had a rise though?

Would love to see the figures.

What I don't get (and Nick alluded to it too) is that if our budget was so drastically cut then why was Mowbray chasing Championship players, the likes of Wilson, who we surely never had a cat in hell's chance of ever getting?

I guess we'll never know the answer to that, certainly not in the short term. However the signs are there. Such as not being able to compete with wages. Not just with the Sheffield United's of this league either.

Nick

Administrator
Have the rest of the league had a rise though?

Would love to see the figures.

What I don't get (and Nick alluded to it too) is that if our budget was so drastically cut then why was Mowbray chasing Championship players, the likes of Wilson, who we surely never had a cat in hell's chance of ever getting?

And why would he do and say things to make himself look inept, why would he say the budget wasn't noticeable? He also said he knew the budget and didn't the players he wanted to.

People are getting obsessed with the budget, while at the same time shouting NOPM and Boycott.

Nick

Administrator
Well then he made the wrong decisions. Would've been better off spending that cash on real men in positions we need.

He has admitted himself he screwed it up as well. We needed some solid league 1 players.

Terry Gibson's perm

He has admitted himself he screwed it up as well. We needed some solid league 1 players.

I said ages ago that he seemed to spend far to long looking for Championship players as we just can't pay the wages they want, his major fault was his player knowledge is higher up the food chain than we can afford.

Captain Dart

I said ages ago that he seemed to spend far to long looking for Championship players as we just can't pay the wages they want, his major fault was his player knowledge is higher up the food chain than we can afford.

You'd have thought he could have figured the lower leagues out after nearly 2 seasons.

Nick

Administrator
You would but I don't think he had.

I think he was trying to play fancy football, which is great if it works but like against wimbledon. They just had a big lump up front who could win everything, put every ball on his head and play off that.

It has to be effective in our league.

Otis

I think he was trying to play fancy football, which is great if it works but like against wimbledon. They just had a big lump up front who could win everything, put every ball on his head and play off that.

It has to be effective in our league.
Yep. Wednesday had such a familiar ring about it and we hardly won a header all night.

Nick

Administrator
Yep. Wednesday had such a familiar ring about it and we hardly won a header all night.

It was a manager who had got the players in and had a system and a game plan that worked best for the players he had.

He wasn't trying to play some continental Barca style football with the lumps up front, he just knew players strengths and played to them.

We have just been playing a lottery I think with putting a play here, there, trying this, trying that.

Hobo

Yeah, where has this massive cut story come from? Who has said that? Can only see it mentioned in here and nowhere else.

Who has said massive cut? He said reduced but not significantly. He was just saying last year Armstrong Murphy and Kent cost us nothing. He has said enquiries for loans this year and people were asking for fees. It was reported on the radio.

Nick

Administrator
Who has said massive cut? He said reduced but not significantly. He was just saying last year Armstrong Murphy and Kent cost us nothing. He has said enquiries for loans this year and people were asking for fees. It was reported on the radio.
I wonder if the sudden fees are because of the changes to loans. Last year the parent teams probably let them go out because they could just phone up and get them back.

Now it is a set time, so more of a commitment so they want a fee?

Hobo

I wonder if the sudden fees are because of the changes to loans. Last year the parent teams probably let them go out because they could just phone up and get them back.

Now it is a set time, so more of a commitment so they want a fee?

That sounds a plausible explanation Nick. Also the slight reduction in budget makes sense because we know last year's original budget was miscalculated.

Users who are viewing this thread