Crewe Manager view (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 4439
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4439

Following the 3-2 defeat, the Alex boss told the club's official web-site: "I thought it was a pulsating game of high intensity. It was a quality game to watch and be involved in with both teams having a real go to play their football and try and attack. I am always deflated to lose the game because I don't like it but I was proud of the players this evening. They gave it a real go against a good side, who have started the season really well. The place was bouncing and they have improved from last season. They could be up there with the players they have. Their movement in the final third was very good.

"We dug in, we hung in there at times and I always thought we were capable of scoring some goals. We scored two really good goals and the goalkeeper has made a great save to deny Coco after he produced a great turn on the edge of the box.

"They started well and deservedly took the lead but we were disappointed with the manner of it. The referee has stood two yards in the centre of the box and I don't think he could have been in a worst position. He has blocked Brad from getting pressure on the ball and Fleck has drilled it in. I told the referee afterwards in a nice way and hopefully he will learn from that but it hasn't helped us this evening.

"We have done work on the second ball from a corner and dealing with that and the referee has played a hand in that with his poor position. The players showed great character to go up the other end and Brad has scored a terrific goal. We then started the second half okay but Armstrong has taken the ball a long way and finished it well but we have to be better in defending that type of situation because they were getting in behind us a little too easily.

"The players again came back and I told Marcus tonight how important he could be for us. He is one of our experienced players and is an International and he battled hard for the cause and deserved his goal. He worked hard and we tried to keep Ryan on for as long as he could because we thought he could create something with one of his runs, he nearly did with his shot and a couple of forceful runs but he just tired.

"I said to the players that we had to try and restrict them to long range efforts and keep them away from our goal and we have been done by a spectacular effort from 25 yards out. It is a massive step forward for us tonight and I am proud of them to come here and put on a performance like that against a team full of confidence."

Otis

Following the 3-2 defeat, the Alex boss told the club's official web-site: "I thought it was a pulsating game of high intensity. It was a quality game to watch and be involved in with both teams having a real go to play their football and try and attack. I am always deflated to lose the game because I don't like it but I was proud of the players this evening. They gave it a real go against a good side, who have started the season really well. The place was bouncing and they have improved from last season. They could be up there with the players they have. Their movement in the final third was very good.

"We dug in, we hung in there at times and I always thought we were capable of scoring some goals. We scored two really good goals and the goalkeeper has made a great save to deny Coco after he produced a great turn on the edge of the box.

"They started well and deservedly took the lead but we were disappointed with the manner of it. The referee has stood two yards in the centre of the box and I don't think he could have been in a worst position. He has blocked Brad from getting pressure on the ball and Fleck has drilled it in. I told the referee afterwards in a nice way and hopefully he will learn from that but it hasn't helped us this evening.

"We have done work on the second ball from a corner and dealing with that and the referee has played a hand in that with his poor position. The players showed great character to go up the other end and Brad has scored a terrific goal. We then started the second half okay but Armstrong has taken the ball a long way and finished it well but we have to be better in defending that type of situation because they were getting in behind us a little too easily.

"The players again came back and I told Marcus tonight how important he could be for us. He is one of our experienced players and is an International and he battled hard for the cause and deserved his goal. He worked hard and we tried to keep Ryan on for as long as he could because we thought he could create something with one of his runs, he nearly did with his shot and a couple of forceful runs but he just tired.

"I said to the players that we had to try and restrict them to long range efforts and keep them away from our goal and we have been done by a spectacular effort from 25 yards out. It is a massive step forward for us tonight and I am proud of them to come here and put on a performance like that against a team full of confidence."

Can't say I agree with the highlighted comment too much. Second half a bit, maybe, but first half they showed very little attacking intention at all and just seemed to set out their stall to stop us and defended really deep.

I couldn't see anything wrong with Fleck's goal either.

Did think they showed enough promise as a team though to make you think they might not struggle this season if they can keep up that second half effort.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Hmm... to be fair i believe the reason we conceded goals was simply because we felt a bit too comfortable ,sloppy goals although the 1st was a nice finish .
However what i would say is ..the same as what i would say about our previous 2 games ..
You were extremely lucky to not concede 7 mate ,and thats being kind .
Im just glad we won

SkyBlueCRJ

27 shots compared to their 6? Think their manager was watching a different game to be honest. We didn't try and attack. We succeeded in style Mr. Davies

TakeMeHome

Sounds like a Pressley interview from last year!

D

Deleted member 4439

QUOTE]

Thought the ref had a decent game, though to be fair, I also thought he impeded play on several occasions.

Gaz71

Stick to snooker Mr Davis!, your team got battered and you clearly came to park the big red bus at the Ricoh tonight, slightly better second half and think you made a mistake taking your number 9 off as he looked like your only danger.

skybluepm2

I don't mean to sound like a certain Mr Pressley, but someone please show this man the stats..unreal. Played them off the park 1st half, didn't give them a sniff!

Sutty

Don't think he's saying it should have been disallowed to be fair, just that the ref was stood in a position where he would impede play.

The goals are on SSN soon by the look of it - will watch for the ref's position.

wingy

Don't think he's saying it should have been disallowed to be fair, just that the ref was stood in a position where he would impede play.

The goals are on SSN soon by the look of it - will watch for the ref's position.

TBFboth Flecksand Jobs goals were similar In that It was quite open from the clearance.
Just seen the Fleck one again and no way does the ref Impede anyone.

Sutty

TBFboth Flecksand Jobs goals were similar In that It was quite open from the clearance.
Just seen the Fleck one again and no way does the ref Impede anyone.

Yeah he's not in that weird a position really. From what Davis was saying I was expecting him to be stood on the penalty spot or something.

Otis

From what he said I was expecting to see the ref dive across the box trying to block the shot.

Otis

I've just seen it and watched it several times and even slo mo'd it and I can't see the ref has done much wrong there at all.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

They parked the bus hit us twice.

I wouldn't even say it out movement in the final 3rd was "very good" it was sensational I've never seen a L1 side play that way before. Usually 24 teams of hoofers, bully boy, trying to grind down the oppo tactics.

It's ridiculous to watch, did we not try and play this way in pre season or has it just all
Clicked or was it a case of play dumb and let's not show other sides what we can do!

D

Deleted member 4439

I've just seen it and watched it several times and even slo mo'd it and I can't see the ref has done much wrong there at all.

The ref was in the way of their player taking a diagonal run into the box to block Fleck's shot - the player had to run round the ref instead. In fairness, could equally blame the player for poor positioning, and I don't think he would have got there anyway.

However, as said before, there were several instances in which we needed to change decisions over passes because the ref was in the way.

I thought that in his comments Steve Davis gave City fair credit, whilst understandably supporting his own players.

Last edited by a moderator:

cornoccfc

... The place was bouncing and they have improved from last season. They could be up there with the players they have. Their movement in the final third was very good...

As most fans said the Ricoh could with the right results and brand of football.

mrtrench

Despite the statistics, they very nearly pulled off a draw. One risk I foresee is that teams will now start to change tactics before playing us to nullify our style. We most definitely need plans B and C for when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread