Crewe away and John O'Rourke (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Apologies if this is a bit off piste, but I just saw one of those '20 years ago today, John O'Rourke chased a chicken' type headline that the CET likes to do.
It reminded me of a bizarre incident away at Crewe last season (Grendel will remember, as JCH scored!) It was blowing a blizzard pre-match and me and 2 mates were trying to make our way to a local boozer amidst the mini whiteout. This bloke suddenly stopped us and said 'are you Cov fans?' Yes, we said, at which point he removed his wallet and showed us his driving licence and said 'I'm John O'Rourke'. I'm old enough to have seen him play, but wouldn't have a clue what he looked like now, but was trying my best between snowflakes, steamed glasses, and having downed a couple of beers, to match the bloke in front of me with the player. He told us he'd been out drinking with other Cov fans at another away game we'd had and had a real laugh with them. We were freezing our nuts off but didn't want to appear rude, when he announced, 'but I'm not the real John O'Rourke, I've just got the same name'. We left, a bit miffed that we'd just wasted five minutes in the cold for no obvious reason. Please feel free to share odd incidents at matches!

Otis

Apologies if this is a bit off piste, but I just saw one of those '20 years ago today, John O'Rourke chased a chicken' type headline that the CET likes to do.
It reminded me of a bizarre incident away at Crewe last season (Grendel will remember, as JCH scored!) It was blowing a blizzard pre-match and me and 2 mates were trying to make our way to a local boozer amidst the mini whiteout. This bloke suddenly stopped us and said 'are you Cov fans?' Yes, we said, at which point he removed his wallet and showed us his driving licence and said 'I'm John O'Rourke'. I'm old enough to have seen him play, but wouldn't have a clue what he looked like now, but was trying my best between snowflakes, steamed glasses, and having downed a couple of beers, to match the bloke in front of me with the player. He told us he'd been out drinking with other Cov fans at another away game we'd had and had a real laugh with them. We were freezing our nuts off but didn't want to appear rude, when he announced, 'but I'm not the real John O'Rourke, I've just got the same name'. We left, a bit miffed that we'd just wasted five minutes in the cold for no obvious reason. Please feel free to share odd incidents at matches!
No, can't think of anything, but I do recall posters on here spouting a load of shite with their nonsensical, inane stories on occasion.

Skyblueol

I have two stories.
Crewe away last year me and my mate were sat by a couple of young lads who were steaming and one was obsessed with breaking the chair in front. Took him about 30 minutes until he finally broke it off for no other reason than he apparently wanted to keep it as a souvenir from the game.

My other story was at half time during the semi final against Wycombe when we were 2-0 up. Me and the same mate from Crewe were waiting for chips in the que(about to take out a loan to pay for them) when some bloke came up to us crying telling us how happy he was about telling us he would cry at the end of every ccfc match.

bringbackrattles

I was a teenager and with a couple of mates went to a night game at the Hawthorns as the City were playing WBA.
We got in the ground early and stood high up on the terraces in the away end. A bloke in a tracksuit was running up and down the terracing, really sprinting hard.
After about ten minutes of running he stopped and chatted to us. I remember asking him if he was in the West Brom squad ?" It turned out to be Jeff Astle their top striker ! And then he ran off back down and down the tunnel. I told my school mates that we'd met Astle who was a bit of a star then but they never believed me, but it was him. I doubt if footballers do pre match warm ups like that these days ?

stevefloyd

I remember once at Crewe it was lashing down with snow when I stopped these Cov fans and told them my name was John O'Rourke ohh how I laughed when I told them but not the real one after making them freeze their tits off for 5 minutes

Sky Blue Harry H

I remember once at Crewe it was lashing down with snow when I stopped these Cov fans and told them my name was John O'Rourke ohh how I laughed when I told them but not the real one after making them freeze their tits off for 5 minutes
Christ Steve/John; didn't envisage you being such an ugly bugger. Nice to have met you though.

Users who are viewing this thread