Crack (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

Good documentary on Netflix about the US crack epidemic of the 80s. It's so funny how much Hollywood usually obscures the view of the actual USA.
Listened to a podcast about the crack baby panic today, bleak times. Thankfully the science was all wrong . I'll give it a watch

clint van damme

Good documentary on Netflix about the US crack epidemic of the 80s. It's so funny how much Hollywood usually obscures the view of the actual USA.

Thanks for the heads up.
Had a bit of a fascination with Th is after reading a book about it years ago not that long after it started.
Then found out about the Nicaragua drugs for guns stiff which helped fuel it which is an incredible story in its own right

It’sabatch87

What’s it called? I’ll give it a view.
I watched two good films on there at the weekend.
Lone survivor with Mark Wahlberg and The Gunman with Sean Penn,Ray Winstone,Idris Elba and Mark Rylance.

CCFCSteve

Just watched this. Really interesting. There’s a doc called 13th also on Netflix which goes into more detail about the explosion in prison population in US in 80s-90s (nearly all black community, mainly low level drug related crime). Worth a watch

Might have mentioned this before but if anyone has got extra spare time during lockdown Chasing the scream by Johann Hari about addiction and criminalisation of drugs is really good read as well (also kind of links in well with the docs mentioned)

ps American Made with Tom Cruise was based around the Nicaraguan/CIA/Arms/Drugs period Good (fun) film

Mucca Mad Boys

Just watched this. Really interesting. There’s a doc called 13th also on Netflix which goes into more detail about the explosion in prison population in US in 80s-90s (nearly all black community, mainly low level drug related crime). Worth a watch

Might have mentioned this before but if anyone has got extra spare time during lockdown Chasing the scream by Johann Hari about addiction and criminalisation of drugs is really good read as well (also kind of links in well with the docs mentioned)

ps American Made with Tom Cruise was based around the Nicaraguan/CIA/Arms/Drugs period Good (fun) film

The War on Drugs has been a failure and societal disaster in the USA. The successes countries like Portugal have had with decriminalisation compared to the USA demonstrates the need to change course.

Looking at the success of legalisation of marijuana in the US, it wouldn’t surprise me if other recreational drugs like MDMA and cocaine are legalised in the next 15-25 years. Take drugs out of a black market into a regulated one.

Having worked in the security industry whilst at Uni, most Police do not care about low level drug use because they cannot cope with volumes when they do crack down. Generally, they only really focus on distribution networks.

fernandopartridge

The War on Drugs has been a failure and societal disaster in the USA. The successes countries like Portugal have had with decriminalisation compared to the USA demonstrates the need to change course.

Looking at the success of legalisation of marijuana in the US, it wouldn’t surprise me if other recreational drugs like MDMA and cocaine are legalised in the next 15-25 years. Take drugs out of a black market into a regulated one.

Having worked in the security industry whilst at Uni, most Police do not care about low level drug use because they cannot cope with volumes when they do crack down. Generally, they only really focus on distribution networks.

Decriminalisation of drugs won't happen in this country, if anything with the Tories in power it's likely to go the other way

The David Simon (the Wire) books critique the war on drugs pretty well. It's been as disastrous as most other wars the USA enters into

rob9872

This thread.... not what I was expecting 😂😂😂

clint van damme

Decriminalisation of drugs won't happen in this country, if anything with the Tories in power it's likely to go the other way

The David Simon (the Wire) books critique the war on drugs pretty well. It's been as disastrous as most other wars the USA enters into

The house we live in is a decent documentary on the subject and ex under cover police officer Neil Woods is worth reading/ listening to to get a UK perspective on it.

Macca

whilst I like the concept I struggle to see it working in this country. Remember how the loosening of alcohol laws was going to bring a continental drinking culture to the UK 😂

clint van damme

whilst I like the concept I struggle to see it working in this country. Remember how the loosening of alcohol laws was going to bring a continental drinking culture to the UK 😂

there isn't a drug which is currently illegal which has the potential to reek as much havoc as alcohol.
And imagine if alcohol was illegal, in fact no need to imagine, look what happened in the States during prohibition, it was run by gangsters and steeped in violence.
The current model, though far from perfect is still far, far better.

Mucca Mad Boys

Funnily enough, it was British studies that partly influenced the successful Swiss and Portuguese approaches to drugs.

In fairness to politicians, the public demand is treat criminals harshly and to treat drug users as criminals.

For Tories, their approach should be market based - at least you can regulate and tax drugs people will take anyway.

clint van damme

Funnily enough, it was British studies that partly influenced the successful Swiss and Portuguese approaches to drugs.

In fairness to politicians, the public demand is treat criminals harshly and to treat drug users as criminals.

For Tories, their approach should be market based - at least you can regulate and tax drugs people will take anyway.

Steve mentioned the Johan Hari book in an earlier post.
He talks about the Swiss and some of the ideas they've introduced.
He says theyre not a particularly compassionate people but they are very practical.
Some time after they introduced their progressive drug policies they had a referendum on keeping them in place and it was over 70% in favour because they saw they were an improvement on previous policies.

There are definitely practical and economical benefits that could be sold to the public

stay_up_skyblues

Watched it this morning. It was well worth it. Shaun Atwood goes into the dodgy conduct of the US Govt. in a lot of detail in his Pablo Escobar book(s) for some further reading/listening on the subject.

As someone else said, the documentary 13 covers the US prison system well and I’d say is a much watch if you liked Crack (the show I mean).

Users who are viewing this thread