Match Thread Coventry City vs. Peterborough United Match Thread - Friday 23rd Nov (1 Viewer)

CCFC88

Burge
Sterling (Grimmer) Davies (Hyam) Willis Brown
Thomas Bayliss Doyle Jones
JCH Chaplin

Brackets injury dependant, not sure how much to read into Doyles substitution on Saturday but wouldn't be starting Ogogo against this Peterborough team, would like to see Jones get a start at home now, Hiwula ineffective on Saturday.

Magwitch

Tough game Posh having a bit of a wobble so difficult to predict will be nice to put another nail in that ‘orrible git Steve Evans’ coffin, hope Davies is back makes us more solid all round

clint van damme

That happened on Saturday due to Doyle's lack of mobility imo. Chaplin came in as an extra man in midfield to try and bridge the gap between that and the attack

if Doyles substitution was down to injury maybe it will give MR to play someone with a bit more mobility.
Doyle definitely looking leggy, or maybe he took a knock early but carried on longer than he should of.

Greggs

Drastic improvement needed on Friday. Grimmer not good enough for this league and never will be, so it's got to be Thomson at full back. Bayliss out-wide instead of Hiwula, with Kelly in central midfield. I'd drop Chaplin and replace him with JJ.

Greggs

That happened on Saturday due to Doyle's lack of mobility imo. Chaplin came in as an extra man in midfield to try and bridge the gap between that and the attack
Doyle was playing a lot of the game at left back, Brown was pulled in narrow a lot of the time and Hiwula can't defend....

Mucca Mad Boys

I weren’t at the game so can’t pass comment on the finer details. However, reading the match reports it does seem like we were struggling to get the ball to our strikers. A potential flaw in a 4-4-2 is that the gap between the strikers midfielders can leave them isolated. We were also against a 4-3-3 so Burton would’ve had an extra midfielder. With that in mind you can’t blame Chaplin for dropping deeper.

It’s easy for those sitting at home or in the stands to say Chaplin needs to play further up the pitch but if he’s not getting the ball he’s going to be limited. Ironically, the same people saying he needs to play on the defenders shoulder also continually moan at Doyle for knocking passes behind the defensive line if the ball isn’t inch perfect.

Last edited:

Speedies_Chips

Drastic improvement needed on Friday. Grimmer not good enough for this league and never will be, so it's got to be Thomson at full back. Bayliss out-wide instead of Hiwula, with Kelly in central midfield. I'd drop Chaplin and replace him with JJ.

I thought we got rid of Joachim.

covcity4life

Burge
Sterling (Grimmer) Davies (Hyam) Willis Brown
Thomas Bayliss Doyle Jones
JCH Chaplin

Brackets injury dependant, not sure how much to read into Doyles substitution on Saturday but wouldn't be starting Ogogo against this Peterborough team, would like to see Jones get a start at home now, Hiwula ineffective on Saturday.
stick to this type of football, not speaking nonsense in here!

skybluegod

Maybe not, but will surely develop into a better defender than Grimmer. SO has to be given time. Playing Grimmer is just pissing in the wind

Grimmer is only 24? Not like he won't or can't develop. He's clearly not match fit, but Thompson had a shocker in the Walsall game. Thompson will be a great player for us, but no point in playing him out of position.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Don't really care about the team for now. Booked the day off work and have the weekend to myself whilst the missus goes away.

Got a few of us going up on Friday night so I'm looking forward to making a full evening of it. 3 points and Evans getting carted away by the Police would be an added bonus too!

Gazolba

I'm predicting a 2-2 draw for this one.
Hope we win though, otherwise we'll really start slipping down the table.

no_loyalty

Burge
Sterling or Willis
Willis or Hyam
Davies or Thompson
Brown
Thomas
Doyle
Kelly
Bayliss
JCH
Chaplin

clint van damme

I'm predicting a 2-2 draw for this one.
Hope we win though, otherwise we'll really start slipping down the table.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, if we draw then the we will in all likelihood be 2 points outside the play offs by the time all the weekends fixtures have been played and we will probably drop one place.
We're not doing too badly.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, if we draw then the we will in all likelihood be 2 points outside the play offs by the time all the weekends fixtures have been played and we will probably drop one place.

Let’s not forget we’ve played most teams on the top 6 and other in form teams like Southend.

Our fan base is particularly prone to exaggeration...

I’d be satisfied for a draw in this game, but with it being a home game, a win is doable.

Sky Blue Harry H

Some tricky games coming up. Never want to lose, but if you could guarantee me 6 points from the next 4 games, I'd take it (Posh, Luton at home and Fleetwood, Walsall away). The 2 away games look slightly easier to me, but nobody likes losing at home, and the 2 home games are against play off contenders, so wins against one or both would be extra useful.

CanadianCCFC

What if we went 3-5-2, especially if sterling is not fit, assuming Davies is fit.
Playing Doyle Kelly and Bayliss in midfield would allow Bayliss to get forward more allowing Chaplin to actually be a second striker.
We don’t have an adequate option right now at right back without Sterling but I think Thomas can do enough defensive work to play RM/RWB with 3 CBs behind him.
Something like this:
Burge
Willis Davies hyam
Thomas Doyle Kelly Brown
Bayliss
JCH Chaplin
Thoughts?

Philosorapter

Coventry City vs Peterborough United

IMG_1893.PNG IMG_1898.PNG

Coventry City (1551)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1573) +22
Draw (1549) -2
Loss (1524) -27

steve82

My early thoughts are

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis---Hyam---Brown
Bayliss--Ogogo--Doyle--Thomas
---------Hiwula----JCH----------

Working on the basis Sterling, Davies, Kelly and Shipley are injured and don’t make the starting 11, Grimmer stays in a unchanged back 5. In front of them Ogogo partners Doyle with Bayliss sitting on the right, Thomas switches to the left as a result relieving Hiwula who I want to see utilising his speed and ability as a striker who gets the nod over Chaplin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
My early thoughts are

--------------Burge-------------
Grimmer--Willis---Hyam---Brown
Bayliss--Ogogo--Doyle--Thomas
---------Hiwula----JCH----------

Working on the basis Sterling, Davies, Kelly and Shipley are injured and don’t make the starting 11, Grimmer stays in a unchanged back 5. In front of them Ogogo partners Doyle with Bayliss sitting on the right, Thomas switches to the left as a result relieving Hiwula who I want to see utilising his speed and ability as a striker who gets the nod over Chaplin.

I wouldn't mind that, only worry is grimmer again but no other option really :(

steve82

I wouldn't mind that, only worry is grimmer again but no other option really :(

There is not many options at all, Thompson looked all at sea against Walsall and affected Jordan Willis game and positioning.

Jordan Willis in his last few appearances at right back hasn’t been so great either and has always looked a better central defender, so no point moving him from a central role he’s been effective in.

Grimmer isn’t up to speed and lacking game time but that’s your only option. Only concern would be the protection Bayliss offers the chosen right back in that side with Dembele down the left hand side.

Nick

Administrator
There is not many options at all, Thompson looked all at sea against Walsall and affected Jordan Willis game and positioning.

Jordan Willis in his last few appearances at right back hasn’t been so great either and has always looked a better central defender, so no point moving him from a central role he’s been effective in.

Grimmer isn’t up to speed and lacking game time but that’s your only option. Only concern would be the protection Bayliss offers the chosen right back in that side with Dembele down the left hand side.

Smash him early and he won't want to know.

steve82

Smash him early and he won't want to know.

There is always that option!

Peterborough are very good away from home. It won’t be easy.
Let’s hope for another 3-2 with a blinding second half, with goals from.... super sub Chaplin!

Warwickhunt

I would love s city win by 1 own goal in the 94th minute just so i can see the fat coach drivers face in the dugout! now thats what i call heaven:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Gazolba

Dropping one place is the start of dropping down the table, which is what I said.
A run of wins catapulted us up the table and a run of losses and draws will see us slip back down.

Users who are viewing this thread