Coventry City v Tottenham Hotspur Match History 1919-2013 (2 Viewers)

Sky Blues

Ah, got you now. Funny how your team expressed itself back in the early days by looking up to other teams. Maybe one day Spurs will wear white and sky blue stripes in homage to a good team they played one day in May 1987! ;) :D

squeeam

Anyone remember Cov 4 Spurs 3 in December 1986. I remember being in the West End when Cyrille Regis headed against the bar and then headed the rebound into the net to make it 4-3. The place went mental. One of the best matches I've ever seen.

Although the game in the spring of 1987 may have eclipsed it. ;)

THFC6061

Ah, got you now. Funny how your team expressed itself back in the early days by looking up to other teams. Maybe one day Spurs will wear white and sky blue stripes in homage to a good team they played one day in May 1987! ;) :D

Of course, as Spurs were founded by a bunch of teenage schoolboys who had played cricket together but wanted to form a football club for the winter months.

That's why our early kits copied the great teams of the day - Blackburn Rovers, Wolves and Preston.

dadgad

Cheers Deano, some good stuff there......particularly enjoyed seeing that 3-2 at HR all those years ago.
The winner scored by Ian Gibson.....probably his last for us? Great player.:claping hands:

THFC6061

Mark Lawrenson's Prediction for Tottenham Hotspur v Coventry City

This is a big day for Coventry and not just because it is a repeat of the 1987 FA Cup final, when they clinched a famous win.

They are a League One team now so this is a reminder of happier days but, more importantly, they need the cash this game will generate.

The pressure is off the Sky Blues in terms of the result, while Spurs have got a proud tradition in the FA Cup and their fans will expect them to have a decent run this season.

Spurs are playing well at the moment and Andre Villas-Boas likes to play his strongest available teams in the cup competitions so I see them progressing without too many problems.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Harry Krishner

Thanks for all the info, THFC6061, it must have taken ages to get all that together. Are you researching for a book or something?

I was at the 4-3 game at HR in Dec 1986, and it was an absolute belter.

Real

One of my favourite players of all time is a Spurs legend, no not Gazza, though he was brilliant and another fav, but none other than Glenn Hoddle. The man was a genius, I grew up watching and admiring his skill. If you ever get chance to watch him on old The Big Match reruns on ITV4, do so. What a player in his prime.

deanocity3

One of my favourite players of all time is a Spurs legend, no not Gazza, though he was brilliant and another fav, but none other than Glenn Hoddle. The man was a genius, I grew up watching and admiring his skill. If you ever get chance to watch him on old The Big Match reruns on ITV4, do so. What a player in his prime.

He was Fantastic when Spurs played in Division 2 against mansfield Town

Real

He would get frustrated with Beckham when he was England manager because Becks couldn't do what he asked. Glenn would do it himself, and he couldn't fathom why Becks wasn't capable.

Tottenham

Steffen Freund insists attitude is key as we face Coventry City in the third round of the FA Cup on Saturday.
The Sky Blues, currently 11th in League One, arrive at the Lane with just one defeat in 11 in all competitions and a much-improved record under Mark Robins, who was appointed manager in September.

Last season's tie against League One Stevenage underlined how tricky these matches can be as we scrapped out a goalless away draw and then trailed 1-0 in the replay before running out 3-1 winners.

"We have to have the right attitude, that’s the most important thing on Saturday," said Assistant Head Coach Steffen.

"With our crowd behind us, that would mean only one winner, I’m sure of that.

"But if we go out there thinking we’re already in the next round, we are in trouble, because the top four leagues in England are strong.

"Coventry will come here with nothing to lose, defend deep and look to hit us on the counter-attack. They are a good team, they keep possession, try to play football and they come here with a lot of confidence.

"They are in the middle of the table, but since Mark Robins arrived they’ve lost only four in the last 23. They lost the first two games but have played really well since then. That’s why we have to be careful."

Steffen lifted the League Cup at Wembley soon after joining us in 1999 but suffered the heartbreak of losing two semi-finals of the FA Cup during his time as a player at Spurs.

"I know what this competition means to the supporters, to the coaching staff and of course the players, everyone at the club, to go to Wembley and win some silverware," he said. "That would never be forgotten.

"I have to say at the moment that it’s good we go from game to game and step by step. We respect Coventry, and first we have to beat them. After that, let’s see what happens.

scroobiustom

"Coventry will come here with nothing to lose, defend deep and look to hit us on the counter-attack. They are a good team, they keep possession, try to play football and they come here with a lot of confidence"

nice to hear others talking about our football rather than the situation of the pitch - at least Doncaster are on our side though:facepalm:

THFC6061

MABBUTT ON COVENTRY

A1541.jpg

Two FA Cup Finals, two decisive own goals, the joy and pain of football on the world’s biggest stage. Gary Mabbutt experienced it all – and our tie against Coventry City brings it all flooding back.

Our legendary former skipper inadvertently played the biggest part of the famous 1987 FA Cup Final when Coventry City, the underdogs, upset us at Wembley.

Clive Allen put us ahead on two minutes but Dave Bennett levelled just six minutes later.

Gary forced Coventry skipper Brian Kilcline into an own goal to restore our lead before half-time but Keith Houchen's famous diving header took the game into extra time. Gary then diverted Lloyd McGrath's cross over Ray Clemence and into his

own net for what turned out to be the winner in the 95th minute.

It might have been one of the great finals of the modern era, but that’s little consolation to Gary, who is no doubt reminded of his own goal every day, let alone having drawn them in the third round of this season’s competition!

“We had a great season in 1986-87,” reflected ‘Mabbsy’. “We finished third in the league, reached the semi-finals of the League Cup and the final of the FA Cup.

“We were the favourites to win the final against Coventry because we’d had a great season playing great football.

“Clive Allen scored 49 goals as a lone striker and we went into it very confident. But it didn’t turn out that way.

“It was Coventry’s day, we lost 3-2 and unfortunately the winner came off my left knee. It wasn’t a great day. It’s the only cup final Tottenham have lost. It was a fantastic cup Final, but not the best memories for myself or anyone involved in Spurs.”

It took four years for Gary to experience the glory, glory of FA Cup Final day.

Having beaten Arsenal – and denied them a potential double – in the first Wembley semi-final, to cap a memorable, Paul Gascoigne-inspired run to the final, we came from 1-0 down and losing Gazza to injury to beat Forest 2-1 on May 18, 1991.

“It was another great cup final, probably remembered more for Gazza,” said Gary.

“He was outstanding for us that season but in the final, he suffered a bad injury.

“We still managed to come back after going 1-0 down and then, quite ironic really, an own goal by Des Walker won the cup for us.

“I received the trophy from the Duchess of Kent, Prince Charles and Princess Diana were also there and the moment I turned to the supporters and lifted the cup, the noise was absolutely amazing. It’s every schoolboy’s dream.”

H

Harry Grout

Cheers THFC6061 - a cracking post with many memories of games played between us over the years and players who achieved true legend status in the game. It's good to see the thoughts and opinions of opposing fans, particularly those who have a true passion for their club and a healthy respect for their opponents.

All the best to you mate -apart from tomorrow!

THFC6061

Cheers THFC6061 - a cracking post with many memories of games played between us over the years and players who achieved true legend status in the game. It's good to see the thoughts and opinions of opposing fans, particularly those who have a true passion for their club and a healthy respect for their opponents.

All the best to you mate -apart from tomorrow!

Thanks - much appreciated.

I was just checking-back through Tottenham's home FA Cup history and I couldn't find any game where we lost to lower league opposition...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurFACupRecords1894-95to2008-09.html

Sky Blues

Thanks - much appreciated.

I was just checking-back through Tottenham's home FA Cup history and I couldn't find any game where we lost to lower league opposition...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurFACupRecords1894-95to2008-09.html

There's a first time for everything! :p Any draws? At least if we can get you up to the Ricoh... :D

(I had a quick look at your website but can't tell at a glance which teams were lower than you and when.)

Thanks for the history on your kits by the way, I learned something there that I did not previously know.

Last edited:

Skybluepiglet

I've had a couple of quid on a 2-2 draw (90 mins score in the final) no extra time today.

For Nostalgia's sake. ;) 35/1 on Betfair

Users who are viewing this thread