Coventry City Podcast

Discussion in 'Coventry City General Chat' started by NiiLampteyShowJoey, Aug 14, 2017.

1. NiiLampteyShowJoey

NiiLampteyShowJoey Member

Credit:
    £116.72
    How do. Just a quick nudge to listen to the Nii Lamptey Show. The only Coventry City podcast made by and for Cov fans.

Given you're reading this on an internet forum it's possible you're not aware of any technological advancements post 2006 so for those who don't know what a podcast is, it's like a radio show you can listen to any time. You can find it on your mobile (like a house phone you don't have to plug into the wall) via your podcast app OR you can head to niilampteyshow.co.uk and listen there.

It's a weekly show and the regular contributors are:

- Neil Allison who does skybluesblog.co.uk (an erudite and earnest blog full of previews and articles about the club)
    - Paul Knowles who many of you will know for running CWR and looking like a bear
    - Dominic Jerams who has an astonishing range of football league knowledge and writes Cov previews as sidewayssammy.wordpress.com
    and
    - Joey Crone who once nearly got hit by a car because he saw a green traffic light and thought 'green means go' and walked out into the road

But we frequently have guests on like CJ from the Sky Blue Trust and Kieran Crowley who was head of communications for the club.

We mainly talk about the game the previous week and the one coming up but we've been known to occasionally stray onto off field stuff if something big is going on.

We've just posted this week's where Laurie Kilpatrick (who blogs as 'The Lonely Season' (thelonelyseason.club) joins us to talk about the Grimsby game. It's completely free and we do a new one every week.

#PUSB

2. vow

vow Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £569.61
    Is that Knowl and did you mean GMK? :bear:

3. NiiLampteyShowJoey

NiiLampteyShowJoey Member

Credit:
    £116.72
    Yes and yes. I bloody proof read that as well and it still slipped through.

Yes that should have been GMK, not CWR.

4. ccfchoi87

ccfchoi87 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £391.35
    Great podcast, how is Ed these days?

5. stevefloyd

stevefloyd Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £564.47
    Knowl bores the ass off me so cant listen

6. superskyblue

superskyblue Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £337.21
    He depresses me. I commented on another thread last week that I use the +15 second button whenever I hear that sharp inhalation of breath before he launches into a monologue of negativity.

It's a shame because the others offer genuine insight, humour and a balanced perspective but he really does spoil it. I do wonder why he bothers following Coventry as he seems to take no enjoyment from it at all - even when we win.

singers_pore likes this.
  7. Alkhen

Alkhen Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £926.06
    Listed since day one, massively improved my life as a non Cov based Cov fan. Great to hear some like minded chaps chat cov crap through good and (mainly) bad times.

Don't listen to em' knowl, I appreciate the downbeat worldview, keeps us rightly grounded.. especially when everyone is getting giddy from two wins

87mint and Cov kid 55 like this.
  8. singers_pore

singers_pore Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £288.96
    I like the podcast but similar to others I do find Knowles a bit depressing and downbeat.

Mucca Mad Boys likes this.
  9. CJ_covblaze

CJ_covblaze Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,517.15
    It's the only pod that I pause the Two Mikes for. Great work by all involved. For the record I think Paul offers a sense of realism. 9/10 he's right.

10. ccfcway

ccfcway Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,012.01
    Listen every week, 100 times better than the cwr phone in.

11. mark82

mark82 Moderator

Credit:
    £2,229.73
    Listen most weeks. Paul makes me laugh, he's like a lot of Cov fans I know. No need to change. The only complaints I have are that I'd like it more than once a week and that the swearing means I have to find time around the kids to listen.

I'd love there to be more than one ccfc podcast. A bit of variety would be great.

87mint likes this.
  12. Specs WT-R75

Specs WT-R75 Active Member

Credit:
    £145.00
    Don't listen to them Knowler :D

13. pusbccfc

pusbccfc Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,443.22
    Listen every week. Brilliant podcast.

14. stupot07

stupot07 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,465.05
    Listen every week. Always a good listen. Not listened to the latest one. Will be interesting to see how angry knowle is that the Duck didn't start.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £8,335.35
    I listened for the first time on the tram home last week. I fell asleep. Not that it was necessarily the podcast that caused me to fall asleep.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. ccfcway

ccfcway Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,012.01
    just a suggestion, but something I really like with similar sports podcasts is a regular quiz section, which you could ask the panel at the start and then towards the end get them to answer and then reveal the answers, giving the listeners time to think of the answers. Always gets you thinking and feeling part of it.

ie...

Its Grimsby at the weekend...

1) Which players have played for both ccfc and grimsby
    2) Which ex Grimsby player was in the 87 final squad

etc

17. Alkhen

Alkhen Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £926.06
    There was a quiz when they first started, Only Covect, think it was hard to sustain as its a fairly narrow subject to keep interesting

I do miss it tho

18. Mucca Mad Boys

Mucca Mad Boys Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,375.86
    I was pretty wound up by this latest edition because I felt like it was needlessly negative. You wouldn't have thought we were top of the league with zero goals conceded and one shot on target against us. In both games, whilst we haven't been flashy by any stretch of the imagination, we've controlled both games we've played in and that's reflected in both results thus far. There were a few comments which left me bewildered:

- One of the lads said that we were a 'one paced team', which didn't really make sense, Jodi Jones is our main threat pace-wise but he's supported by Grimmer, Stokes and McNulty in the starting line-up, then you've got bench players like Nazon to come on and offer something else. We have a physical side.
    - The comments about McNulty annoyed me, especially because it was followed by an appraisal of Kwame Thomas. McNulty isn't a massively physical presence, but to deduce he's not 'going to add much' is a silly comment. He finished top goalscorer for Portsmouth (15/16 season) with 10 goals in 27 games. His goal v Grimsby, whilst being lucky, showed he had a quick wit about him not many others would have. But to speak so positively about Kwame Thomas, who by comparison, is inexperienced and unproven, but had 'one good game vs Oldham', was pretty stupid. If he could stay fit, I think he'd be a decent player, but he's never really fit.
    - Being dismissive of Vincenti as a player who 'won't create much' and his role being merely a 'left winger with good defensive shape' was annoying. He's got 1 assist already, and created almost a carbon copy of Jones' first goal v County in our last game. Watching the extended highlights, he was involved in a lot; a Jones chance, the penalty shout and a close headed chance from a corner is what I remember off the top my head. Just because he isn't a player who takes on players and takes lots of shots doesn't mean you're not going to create much. Bringing me onto my next point...
    - Why the unhealthy obsession with 'The Duck'? He had a good cameo v County and played well in the 1st half v Blackburn, but I don't think he's going to be a starter just yet barring injuries. I also don't think he was signed as a striker. Saving the best till last...

- The comment of '21 out of 22 players aren't very good' followed by 'if Jodi Jones played for County, they'd have probably won' is complete and utter shite. We controlled the Notts County game from the 1st till the last minute. Even Kevin Nolan said if they had Jones, we'd have found a way to snuff him out of the game. The suggestion we're a one man team are, frankly, unfounded. Both teams we beat, won their other game so it's not like the opposition are in particularly bad-form. Rant over.

However, all in all, I do actually like the podcast, I just get irritated by needless negatively, particularly when the comments aren't very well-founded.

87mint and singers_pore like this.
  19. stevefloyd

Credit:
    £564.47
    Hence the reason I don't listen

20. stevefloyd

Credit:
    £564.47
    I do like the other guys though...is Paul an undertaker?

21. SBbucks

SBbucks Member

Credit:
    £142.61
    Love the podcast, just perfect length for drive to work, always interesting even if I don't always agree - it's all about opinions isn't it? One comment is that the sound quality for Dominic's match previews is always poor and hard to hear (presumably by Skype or similar?) - any chance of trying to improve it, as it's a great feature? Appreciate the time & effort you all put into it

ccfchoi87 and Mucca Mad Boys like this.
  22. Skybluefaz

Skybluefaz Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £770.89
    That's all opinion though which is fair game and there to be argued with. I tend to agree more with yourself, the ridiculous thing from that episode though was thinking that Robins would come out prior to a cup match and say that we're going to lose/we don't care about the competition. No manager would publicly throw his young players under the bus in advance of a game and destroy their confidence. I appreciate knowl has to travel to games and he may be playing an Adrian Durham kind of wind up merchant role (although I don't think so) but he's demanding something that's never going to happen.

23. Mucca Mad Boys

Credit:
    £1,375.86
    Agreed, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But, I think informed opinions improve podcasts and some of those opinions, if you do a little research or rewatch highlights you'll build a more informed opinion.

To say Jodi Jones was, more or less, the only factor in the Notts County result either way is just a really stupid thing to say.

24. pusbccfc

pusbccfc Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,443.22
    Can't believe how many people are criticising the podcast.

87mint likes this.
  25. Skybluefaz

Credit:
    £770.89
    It's a decent podcast, it would be less interesting if I agreed with it all.

87mint and Alkhen like this.
  26. skyblue93

skyblue93 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £600.88
    I love the podcast. It's definitely one of the best lower-league team based ones out there, so good work on that.

Maybe I'm just a hopelessly negative person as well, but I tend to agree with Paul a lot. Not a fan of Vincenti either, and agree that for the majority of the Grimsby game, Jones (and to a lesser extent their lad Dembele) were the only players who stood out. We've started well, but I haven't seen anything yet to suggest we're a cut above at League Two - except for Jodi.

27. Mucca Mad Boys

Credit:
    £1,375.86
    It's L2 football, there's not many good individual players. We've had many teams with great individuals, this group of players appear to be a good, cohesive team. Teams get promoted on good defences generally, and if you don't concede, you can't lose. I've said elsewhere, the promoted teams top goal scorers had pretty low tallies.

singers_pore likes this.
  28. Yorkshire SB

Yorkshire SB Active Member

Credit:
    £187.44
    Good podcast but have to agree that this week's was incredibly downbeat.

Criticisms against anyone feel harsh considering we've won both games, kept clean sheets and scored 5 goals. I feel as though this is perhaps due to subconsciously comparing the team with some of the sides we had in League 1.

Also think Vincenti comments are odd, he's tall which perhaps isn't the blueprint for an attacking mid, but he's proven in League 1, and well liked by Rochdale fans, and from what I've seen is a very effective and tidy player.

Mucca Mad Boys likes this.
  29. RoboCCFC90

RoboCCFC90 Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £519.45
    Used to listen quite a bit, but not so much recently.

Will try and listen to the latest one at some point.

30. ccfctommy

ccfctommy Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £620.77
    I have never listened to a podcast!

87mint likes this.
  31. covcity4life

covcity4life Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £5,048.21
    I just listened to the tottaly football podcast with james richardson. Thats great

I will do a ccfc podcast if you all pay me

32. Skybluefaz

Credit:
    £770.89
    Athletico Mince is hilarious. Recommend it

Esoterica likes this.
  33. Mucca Mad Boys

Credit:
    £1,375.86
    I personally think it's because he isn't the archetypal pacey, direct winger a lot of fans like. Even if there's no end product...

Yorkshire SB likes this.
  34. oakey

oakey Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £200.50
    Not bad but too blokey for my taste ... Like a pub discussion. Has a woman ever been on it? Doubt it and that makes it stale for me

35. Nick

Nick Administrator

Credit:
    £14,848.54
    I can never get into Podcasts, when do people usually listen to them?

I'm not usually in the car for that long.