Coventry City on ITV4 tomorrow 9:20am (1 Viewer)

CovFan

SPORT: The Big Match Revisited
On: ITV4 (227)
Date: Saturday 25th February 2012 (starting tomorrow morning)
Time: 09:20 to 10:20 (1 hour long)

Classic football action from 25 years ago this week. The main game is league leaders Liverpool, featuring Kenny Dalglish, taking on Ipswich. Plus action from Coventry v Manchester City and Celtic v Aberdeen. Presented by Brian Moore and Jim Rosenthal.
(Stereo, Repeat)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=106909

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Enjoy! (Anybody remember the result?)

TheRoyalScam

I think we slaughtered them, while tearing a new one for Ranson who was their fullback at the time.;)

Didn't one of my favourite CCFC managers score a hat-trick against Celtic too!:D

Real

If its the game I think, we beat them 4-0. Mark Hateley scored a 25 yarder. One of my earliest memories following the City.

wingy

Was'nt Hately gone by then ,think we're talking cup year.Shame i want hear that old classic, "Pardoe pardoe,you're misses is a pro",
"She gave VD to Francis Lea"
"pardoe pardoe".

brinner

if its 25 years ago then it would be a 2-2 draw at home, remember it well was sat in the West Terrace in a freezing cold sunday morning with my dad.

it wont be that 1 tho.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
25 years ago this week was either 21st Feb 1987 match which was away to Stoke (Victoria ground) in the FA Cup. We won 1-0 and went on to win the cup!!
OR

28th Feb 1987 which was a home league match against Charlton Athletic which we also won 2-1

Houchens Head

I've just read the guide for tomorrow. It actually states: "Action from a 1987 game between Liverpool and Ipswich Town. Plus, Coventry City v Manchester City and Celtic v Aberdeen. Presented by Brian Moore and Jim Rosenthal" which means they will show the 1987 game between L'pool v Ipswich PLUS the others (which are not necessarily from 1987!) They could be from ANY year! DOH!

Houchens Head

Nearest I can find for a Feb game for Ipswich v L'Pool is 1st Feb 1986 (which is 26 years ago - the year Ipswich were relegated and Liverpool were Champions!)

hutch1972

You will probably find it was 25 years from when the programme was first aired , i remember seeing it a few years back. If you use cov mad fixtures click on 82-83 season , then click on liverpool,you can see they played ipswich on the same day

TheSnoz

Could be a 4-0 win from Feb 12. A snowy Highfield Rd, 9,527 loyalists scattered around an empty looking ground. The ground looks desolate, the football was brilliant. Gerry Francis running the show, Melrose, Gillespie, Hateley, Hunt scoring. Yeah, been on before. This was us in the top division, the fans couldn't be arsed then either. Though the 80s were horrible times in football, fences, thugs, happy days.

hutch1972

You are quite right snoz, it was a barren place at that time ( as was all grounds ) . no jobs , no money . feels like deja vous to me !
Good game though ,pity we never won again for about 6 months

ExmouthNeil

Just watched it........... Happy days

4 nil to City. Hope AT recorded it to show to the player before today's game, it might inspire them

PUSB

hutch1972

Wasn't it the season all of the players left as their contracts ran out ? The likes of Gillespie,Thomas,Hateley,Sealey all left at the end of the season.

ExmouthNeil

Wasn't it the season all of the players left as their contracts ran out ? The likes of Gillespie,Thomas,Hateley,Sealey all left at the end of the season.

Yep that was the season.... My first game watchin City was (I think) the last game of that season us losing to West Ham 5-2(?)..... Me bein a stupid young kid got a season ticket the next season seating in the East Terrace right behind the goal......

Memories......................................................

J

Jack Griffin

Watched my recording of it yesterday, so funny.

1) People say Freddy is fat, but Gerry Francis was a porker, it didn't stop him making a City goal with a fantastic run into the box.
2) I remembered how much I disliked Jim Rosenthal & Brian Moore, crap presenters with cheap sets, naff graphics & spouting a lot of verbal diahorrea, the ITV touch.
3) Match opens & they say how good the pitch is at Anfield, cut to muddy field of the like not been seen for 15+ years in pro-football.
4) Manager (forgot who) moans about introduction of 3 points for a win, says makes no difference, teams still prefer to defend.

I never saw that particular City side, I was abroad at the time, so was quite interesting.

wingy

Who was the chairman at the time ,it was criminal ,we had such a good young team ,Milne had just been moved upstairs after failing to beat West Ham in a the cup semi -final at West Ham ,mistake!!!.We then got Sexton in ,Hately got stolen off us from Pompey ,tribunal fee of £750,000,we all knew he would play international £2m. player,and i think all the other promising youngsters left out frustration with his and Gthompsons sale.

Users who are viewing this thread