Coventry city managers by win % (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

I can't comment firsthand on Hill but on paper his achievements are unsurpassed, albeit he was given great backing for the time in a city that was booming, and supported the club in historically high numbers.

I think the sidelining (by bringing in that dinosaur Jim Smith mid-season whilst the team were in and around the play off places) and eventual sacking of Nilsson is arguably a much bigger moment for the club than the sacking of Black, which yes was wrong but it wasn't like we actually were close to achieving anything.

Robins' record stands up historically, if he somehow manages to get to the play offs in the Championship I think you could argue that he's an all time great.

Magwitch

Just looked at Roland Nilssons figures and it shows what a dick Mike McGunnity was.

Jimmy Hill will probably always carry the best ever title but Mark Robins’s record and in not the easiest circumstances is pushing him hard imo.

ajsccfc

IMb7I9T.png

skybluetony176

Always rated Nilsson myself. Accomplished a fair bit after us too to back up his credentials. Got to be Robins though, all things considered. Turned the clubs fortunes around, two promotions, two Wembley final victories, one championship and all in the face of adversity.

SBT

There isn't really a comparison to be made to Jimmy Hill, who was a visionary beyond any manager we've ever had (or many clubs have ever had) But amazing to think that Robins is even in the conversation at this point.

I'm sure Harry Storer had a few off-the-field adversities to deal with when he was manager too!

Terry_dactyl

I can't comment firsthand on Hill but on paper his achievements are unsurpassed, albeit he was given great backing for the time in a city that was booming, and supported the club in historically high numbers.

I think the sidelining (by bringing in that dinosaur Jim Smith mid-season whilst the team were in and around the play off places) and eventual sacking of Nilsson is arguably a much bigger moment for the club than the sacking of Black, which yes was wrong but it wasn't like we actually were close to achieving anything.

Robins' record stands up historically, if he somehow manages to get to the play offs in the Championship I think you could argue that he's an all time great.
The Black sacking came from nowhere. It felt like we were heading in the right direction and every fan seemed to be completely bemused by the decision, and to replace him with Peter Reid!

Magwitch

Those of us old enough will remember there were two Jimmy Hills, JH , flamboyant, visionary and a bloody good football manager at whichhe was magnificent and then JH the chairman, admittedly difficult time financially but, well enough said about that I prefer to remember the good times.
As for Mark Robins talking the second coming he inherited a poor relegated team, turned it round in a season good enough to go up via play offs, sold our top scorers which financed more or less a new team, which finished just outside the play off rebuilt that one good enough to win division one playing an exiting brand of football I think comfortably up to lock down, let’s see if he does that again I think he might.
Jimmy Hill is revered for getting ccfc from division three to the top division of Robins can get us from division four to the top he will then be the main man without doubt.

Skyblueweeman

If MR takes us to the EPL I think he will go down as our greatest. JH (albeit before my time) changed so much about the club and was successful. MR has operated in completely different circumstances and galvanised the club top to bottom in his 2nd term here and helped facilitate the impossible...people's perceptions of our owners.

Ask me in 9 months time and it'll be MR number 1 and JH number 2

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Legia Sky Blue

If MR maintains that percentage through to the end of next season then he will definitely have a strong case for rivalling JH as the greatest. Bit of a tall ask though!

Users who are viewing this thread