Match Thread Coventry City - Huddersfield Town Match Thread - Monday 25th Sep (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City - Huddersfield Town match, tactics and predictions :)

TomRad85

Fuck it, get some of the younger players on long contracts playing together at the back, also if he was looking for an excuse to drop Wilson to get his new keeper in then Wilson has hardly been great...

Collins

DaSilva
Kitching (or Binks)
Thomas
Lati
Van Ewijk (if fit)

Eccles
Allen

Ayari
Sakamoto

Godden

I know we need our new strikers playing but although i find Godden very frustrating to watch, realistically you cannot drop him. If sticking with 2 up top then drop Sakamoto out and put Simms with Godden.

SkyBlueSoul

Not sure which way MR will go with this, a lot of options. Binks hasn't done much wrong but with Kitching getting a run out you'd think he'll start soon. MvE off again so can only hope he's fit. Not entirely sure what he's got planned having said this now Sheaf is out:

“We've got to be better on the ball. I will do one or two things that may just sure that position up. But really I'm looking for players that will penetrate with their movement with the passes with their ability.”

My best guess would be starting Ayari or Allen over Palmer in a 3, but giving them license to get forward. Possibly dropping a striker to play a 10 (hopefully Saka/Ayari) too.

Wilson
Lats Fadz Kitching
MvE Kelly Eccles Allen Dasilva
Godden Simms

OR

Wilson
Lats Fadz Kitching
MvE Kelly Eccles Allen Dasilva
Saka/Ayari
Godden

skybluecam

Fuck it, get some of the younger players on long contracts playing together at the back, also if he was looking for an excuse to drop Wilson to get his new keeper in then Wilson has hardly been great...

Collins

DaSilva
Kitching (or Binks)
Thomas
Lati
Van Ewijk (if fit)

Eccles
Allen

Ayari
Sakamoto

Godden

I know we need our new strikers playing but although i find Godden very frustrating to watch, realistically you cannot drop him. If sticking with 2 up top then drop Sakamoto out and put Simms with Godden.
I’ll fall asleep if we play Godden as a lone striker.

Honestly I think Robins should be considering a change in system. 433, Kelly anchoring with Eccles and Ayari alongside, Wright on the left, Saka on the right, Godden/Simms through the middle.

TomRad85

Honestly I think Robins should be considering a change in system. 433, Kelly anchoring with Eccles and Ayari alongside, Wright on the left, Saka on the right, Godden/Simms through the middle.
I'd hate to watch him up there alone too tbh but the others are hardly banging the door down are they.

shmmeee

I can’t even with Eccles again. Is Allen close to starting? He got what? 10 mins last night?

Agree we need to start pushing through with some of the signings. If they aren’t better than what we’ve got then we’ve got £10m to fix the squad in Jan and have to write £10-15m off as a bad investment.

Collins
MvE Lats Kitching Bidwell
Eccles Kelly Ayari
Sakamoto Godden Wright

Play Wright as a winger, Eccles and Ayari (or Allen and Ayari on the off chance he’s fit) to bomb forwards in possession while Kelly holds. Eccles/Allen to hold back when MvE bombs on. Bidwell more defensive with Ayari and Wright in front of him.

When Sheaf is back, in for Kelly, Simms for Godden when the goals dry up or he’s injured. O’Hare for Wright when he’s back.

clint van damme

3rd non Saturday game in a row.
DM if you can get me some morphine to take the edge off.

ProfessorbyGrace

A 1-0 off Simms beard will do me.

Just please drop Palmer, and give Tatsu a go. PUSB.

shepardo01

This re Godden!!...
think MR should go to 4 in midfield due to current state of what we have available and how inept we were last night.
Then he needs to go 1 up top.
We know he can't really drop Godden....
We know Godden can't play up top on his own...
(We know he won't play 4 at the back...)
So it will either be a personell re-hash of 5-3-2,
Or Godden up top on his own.
(Also unlikely Sakamoto will feature as a wide player after MRs comments last night.....

skyblue_55

Unfortunately, with Robin’s pigheadedness, it’s sod the fans view , as what do they know ???
Ayari & Saka , possibly we all think should start , as they are the only players in the squad , to take a player on & beat them .
So a defensive formation will ultimately be rolled out again ‘ to give the players a chance to redeem themselves ‘ ……

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m going for 5-0 and I think Simms will get four with Kitching the other if they start.

Collins
Mve
Lati
Fadz
Kitching
Da silva ( I would prefer Bidwell)
Eccles
Allen
Ayari
Simms
Godden

I would like to see something like:

Collins
Thomas Lati Kitching
MvE Ayari Kelly Dasilva
Palmer
Godden Simms

It's Robins' comment about "shoring up" the midfield that piqued my curiosity.
I do feel like Fadz probably needs to be rested for a bit, he's looked a bit off it this last few games.
Would be intrigued to see Lati play in centre back and move up the pitch when we're in possession to give license to Ayari and or Eccles to push forward into more attacking positions. I think Lati has shown that he's good enough with the ball to play this kind of role. Hypothetically, having a ball-playing keeper like Collins could also open up this opportunity? But now having typed this, this sounds wayyyy too out there for Robins to do overnight. Also I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Based on his post-match interview it does sound like he's starting to feel as though something drastic does have to happen now in order to get this team ticking. But in Robins terms that probably just means that he'll drop Eccles and maybe try Ayari in a deeper role so that we can move the ball quicker and braver through the midfield.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I can’t even with Eccles again. Is Allen close to starting? He got what? 10 mins last night?

Agree we need to start pushing through with some of the signings. If they aren’t better than what we’ve got then we’ve got £10m to fix the squad in Jan and have to write £10-15m off as a bad investment.

Collins
Eccles Kelly Ayari
Sakamoto Godden Wright

Play Wright as a winger, Eccles and Ayari (or Allen and Ayari on the off chance he’s fit) to bomb forwards in possession while Kelly holds. Eccles/Allen to hold back when MvE bombs on. Bidwell more defensive with Ayari and Wright in front of him.

When Sheaf is back, in for Kelly, Simms for Godden when the goals dry up or he’s injured. O’Hare for Wright when he’s back.
Great minds 🫡

Your Thoughts On 5 At The Back

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm also going with a 4-3-3. Fuck the system. I think our formation has served us in the past, and whilst I never liked it, I feel like it is currently holding us back a bit. Would be very curious how this would work out.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Ayari Kelly Eccles
Sakamoto Godden Wright

stay_up_skyblues

442! 442! 442!

Collins

Milan
Thomas
Kitching
Bidwell

Saka
Kelly
Eccles
DaSilva

Simms
Godden

We won’t, and probably shouldn’t. But this is exactly what I would do on FM in this rut. Pressing, high tempo and get down the wings and cross the fucker in.

Legia Sky Blue

Collins
Eccles Kelly Ayari
Sakamoto Godden Wright

You make me laugh. You spent much of last season absolutely slating Allen, and much of this one doing the same for Godden, yet now are both in your chosen XI. I suppose Godden did have 2 more tap ins last night :ROFLMAO:

pusbccfc

What minute will the boo boys come out?

Boicey

I hate to break it to you but there's no way Robins will drop Palmer.
I guess he will bring Allen and Kitching in and play the usual system.
I guess he will also start with Wright.

TomRad85

I'm also going with a 4-3-3. Fuck the system. I think our formation has served us in the past, and whilst I never liked it, I feel like it is currently holding us back a bit. Would be very curious how this would work out.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Ayari Kelly Eccles
Sakamoto Godden Wright
I'm actually alright with this and I think it makes sense for Wright and Sakamoto.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

You make me laugh. You spent much of last season absolutely slating Allen, and much of this one doing the same for Godden, yet now are both in your chosen XI. I suppose Godden did have 2 more tap ins last night :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn’t have either given the choice. Blank slate is have Simms. But you can’t drop Godden right now no matter how little he does the rest of the game.

Allen: we’re desperate for some energy. We need two midfielders signing and two returns from injury so for now if it’s Allen or Eccles, it’s Allen.

long way home

We have 2 players in Ayari and Tatsu that are very good on the ball and both look good going one way. The only way they both get into the side is if we protect the space behind them or the costly way wait to see if they learn to play without the ball for the whole game.

The other issue i see is Milan at wing back cant last in games that come thick and fast. So me i would go flat back 4 and tell him to pick his runs forward and conserve energy to last the whole game, until he gets his legs. He is way too good and important to us sitting on a bench, because he cant last.

We need to either learn to sit in and break, which i don't think we have recruited for. Or control possession and tempo and learn when and where during games to do either. We misplace so many passes or miss so many runs because we haven't learnt which it is.

Lots of new players, lots to learn from each other and we have to be patient and understand its a process. In my opinion this stop start, switching off, broken possession is a natural part of the learning process. Getting O hare, Allen and Sheaf back into squads will help but time and hard work on the training pitch is the only way this gets better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread