Coventry City FC hold stadium talks with Rugby Borough Council (1 Viewer)

ccfcway

wahey, its only take them some 19 months to speak to someone about the possibility of someone selling something that they could buy and then clear and then possibly build a 13,000 seater stadium on, outside of Coventry

and the outcome......"council sources have suggested little progress was made"

The Reverend Skyblue

Oh dear, I think I remember we were down to two sites in the lastest news about this, and I'm sure we were close to securing one of them

So two years down the road and we still haven't secured a blade of grass or getting anywhere near to doing so.

What a waste of time Fisher is, if this is his whole job remit ,what the hell has he been doing.

NorthernWisdom

Is this a late April Fool or are we going to have to admit Fisher was right?

tbf, the article says they met in March... which ain't deafening progress toward a new ground from two years ago!

Campaign should surely be however, to ensure any talks revolve around the Cov boundary... and also to ensure talks commence with CCC!

Got to make sure even if the current lot are mentalists, future owners have choices and options...

Moff

Its obvious it would be Rugby, the planning committee there never turn anything down. They are f*cking useless.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Campaign should surely be however, to ensure any talks revolve around the Cov boundary... and also to ensure talks commence with CCC!

That sort of campaign would be best aimed at CCC in my opinion. Maton has already stated there are no sites available to the club inside the city boundary so unless something changes at CCC theres little to no chance of a new stadium within the city boundary.

shmmeee

That sort of campaign would be best aimed at CCC in my opinion. Maton has already stated there are no sites available to the club inside the city boundary so unless something changes at CCC theres little to no chance of a new stadium within the city boundary.

Are we asking the council to find and secure us a site? If not I'm not sure what they can do if there's nowhere suitable. Where is the land by the Uni? Is that CCC jurisdiction? Always felt that was the best suggestion in terms of somewhere that "felt like" Cov.

NorthernWisdom

Are we asking the council to find and secure us a site? If not I'm not sure what they can do if there's nowhere suitable. Where is the land by the Uni? Is that CCC jurisdiction? Always felt that was the best suggestion in terms of somewhere that "felt like" Cov.

Bit of both, CCC and WDC.

As for the lack of sites, that's partly because the Local Plan doesn't cater for an impending football stadium. Not saying they'd pop up as if by magic if that were changed(!) but it should, surely, be worth pointing out we'd like it changed to make it as helpful as possible to grease the wheels for the football club to find an appropriate site in the city. After all, the old Gasworks weren't necessarily an obvious choice at the time.

Plus it'd have the handy benefit of taking away an element of bluff from the club if it is indeed bluff...

Much as per the Ricoh dispute, it's a lot easier to resolve issues if the two sides actually talk. At the moment they (still!) seem to not be doing so. That's... daft.

shmmeee

Bit of both, CCC and WDC.

As for the lack of sites, that's partly because the Local Plan doesn't cater for an impending football stadium. Not saying they'd pop up as if by magic if that were changed(!) but it should, surely, be worth pointing out we'd like it changed to make it as helpful as possible to grease the wheels for the football club to find an appropriate site in the city. After all, the old Gasworks weren't necessarily an obvious choice at the time.

Plus it'd have the handy benefit of taking away an element of bluff from the club if it is indeed bluff...

Much as per the Ricoh dispute, it's a lot easier to resolve issues if the two sides actually talk. At the moment they (still!) seem to not be doing so. That's... daft.

Ah no I'm all for bluff calling (in fact I'm all for knocking down large parts of the city centre to accommodate us). Just asking if that's what we want, because as much as we might I can't see CCC making the first move and putting serious resources into a plan when the club's official position is still that they wouldn't work with CCC before hell froze over. As it is Sisus position it seems the perogative is on them.

NorthernWisdom

Ah no I'm all for bluff calling (in fact I'm all for knocking down large parts of the city centre to accommodate us). Just asking if that's what we want, because as much as we might I can't see CCC making the first move and putting serious resources into a plan when the club's official position is still that they wouldn't work with CCC before hell froze over. As it is Sisus position it seems the perogative is on them.

It's on both though really isn't it - club claim CCC won't talk to them, CCC deny that. What we've never had is much effort to mediate between the two but, whenever the little efforts have been made... it's worked (see us staying at Ricoh for last three games of season before bogging off, see us coming back etc. etc.)

It's easy for them to both not talk about future options when everyone accepts that's just the way it is, and blames one party or the other for that.

Doesn't even have to be 'serious' resources into a plan, does it? More a subtle shift in policy? Now my simple mind does lead me to the thought that if you make planning preferences more flexible, you risk someone other than the football club buying up chunks of land to build GodKnowsWhat there (a national staring championships stadium?) so I suppose it's more effort than ticking a box, but a start would be some on th record comments that they were prepared to be flexible, I suppose.

For whoever comes in post-SISU might want the option, after all... and we're likely to get a better class of option post-SISU if the option is there.

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

It is this simple, no site has been found at all. SISU are faffing around and have no viable plan, they are up the proverbial smelly creek without means of propulsion.

Why oh why can't we rid ourselves of these clowns, till they are gone the club is becalmed in an ocean of uncertainty.

cloughie

So what possible sites are there under that council within the range?

There is an island of land available........................... it is known locally as fantasy island.

I am incredulous that people are debating this !!

Fisher has made a token meeting with RBC just to string along the MYTH of a new stadium

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN UNDER SISU

chiefdave

I am incredulous that people are debating this !!

I think you can debate it without thinking it's actually happening! The best thing that could happen would be for CCC to go here's a 60 acre site that's available and call Fisher's bluff.

skybluetony176

So the big new year announcement was that Tim has finally found the telephone number for RBC. Or was it that he'd found the number for 118 to get the number for RBC?

cloughie

...who said anything about handing SISU land?

So under what scenario could this theory work?

Sisu have nothing to sell other than the football clubs right to play in the league, so can they sell on a promise of someone else of land ?

NorthernWisdom

So under what scenario could this theory work?

Sisu have nothing to sell other than the football clubs right to play in the league, so can they sell on a promise of someone else of land ?

If I wanted to run a football club, I'd be a lot more keen to take one on where the possibility of me being ble to get them their own stadium in their own city was there...

cloughie

Would be like selling land or a house with planning permission wouldn't it.

Agree yet i still think it is false hope, Fisher is such a disgusting operator.

Yes I have met the man several times and would not trust the snake snake an inch

He has little credability if any

shmmeee

Is it in the Coventry area?

Oh shit... It could be 8 miles STRAIGHT UP! CCC don't own the skies! Fisher you genius

Back to the original point: surely by definition holding out a prime piece of development land in the hope CCFCS want it, when they've explicitly stated they don't, isn't cost free. Aside from the preliminary work in finding such a site, keeping it free for City means it's not free for other, new, investors. Same logic as the Ricoh.

We may want it as fans, but we can't seriously expect it. Sisu have asked for the olive branch only to throw it back too many times for this to be a valid argument now. CCFC isn't bigger than the city as a whole, at some point you have to move on. IIRC the last statement was not just that they didn't know of suitable land but that they'd have to consider any plans on merit alone. So definitely more open than the "we won't ever work with them again" we had from the club.

As I say, as a fan I don't disagree it would be nice (I'm serious a city centre stadium I think it's be just the thing to rejuvenate it). I'm just saying that at a time when resources are stretched and the city is growing, you've got to accept their focus will be elsewhere.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

One assumes Baginton or Brandon would have been the logical ones, but both ruled out now I guess.

Ansty?

Failing that, the club'd do everyone a favour if they knocked down Brownsover...

I live in Brownsover - far worse places like Admirals estate/ New Bilton/ lots of Bilton for that matter. Knock down the new development in that wasteland that is Cawston . . Best fish and Chippy in Brownsover. So there !

I used to work for RBC and travelled around the borough daily- can't think of any suitable site that would be on the Coventry side - but then SISU won't worry on that score. Maybe there is some old MOD sites that could be freed up .

Gaz71

I live in Brownsover - far worse places like Admirals estate/ New Bilton/ lots of Bilton for that matter. Knock down the new development in that wasteland that is Cawston . . Best fish and Chippy in Brownsover. So there !

I used to work for RBC and travelled around the borough daily- can't think of any suitable site that would be on the Coventry side - but then SISU won't worry on that score. Maybe there is some old MOD sites that could be freed up .

Depends if your old school brownsover or coton meadows, brownsover is rugby's worst area for violent crime and drug offences, Cawston chippy would smash brownsover chippy in a chip off!
There was talk of Rugby Lions building a state of the art stadium a couple of years ago but the guy involved in that takeover was full of more shit than Fisher! Isn't Brandon Speedway under RBC jurisdiction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Depends if your old school brownsover or coton meadows, brownsover is rugby's worst area for violent crime and drug offences, Cawston chippy would smash brownsover chippy in a chip off!
There was talk of Rugby Lions building a state of the art stadium a couple of years ago but the guy involved in that takeover was full of more shit than Fisher! Isn't Brandon Speedway under RBC jurisdiction?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of Cawston queue up on a Friday night at Brownsover chippy !

Users who are viewing this thread