Coventry Blaze Need Your Support (1 Viewer)

Tad

Taken from the Coventry Blaze website:

If you are reading this, the chances are that at some point overthe last few years you have enjoyed a great night out watching theCoventry Blaze ice hockey team in action. Or maybe you have a childwho has benefited from the tremendous amount of work we do, as aclub, in the local community. Or maybe you are involved with a group,school or club who we have helped with fundraising

Over the last twelve years, the Coventry Blaze have been ahuge part of the community in which we operate. Literally hundreds ofthousands of people have benefited in some way from what we bring tothe area. We have brought success to the area. We have flown thecity’s flag internationally. We have provided some of the greatestnights of sporting entertainment that the city has seen. We havegiven a great deal of pleasure to hundreds of thousands of people.

Now we desperately need your help. The current economicclimate has hit everyone hard and we are certainly no exception. Wehave plans in place to reorganise and restructure all areas of ourbusiness to enable us to continue to provide the same fantastic levelof excitement and support to the city but certain recent events,largely outside of our control, have put our club under immense andimmediate pressure.

There are certain steps that we will be bringing forward oradditionally taking to help, but it is going to be very difficult forus to continue to operate unless we get some additional support fromas many people as possible.

The next month is crucial to us. And we are now asking YOU todo something to help us through. We have never openly asked for helplike this before but we need to now.

This coming Saturday we take on the Sheffield Steelers at theSkydome Arena at 7pm. The Blaze will be going flat out to get thewin. We need you to be at that game. If you are a season ticketholder, this game is not included on your ticket. So PLEASE, don’tstay away from the game – buy a ticket and be there. If you are anoccasional visitor who maybe can’t afford to come regularly, PLEASEfind a way to be able to come to this game. If you are a business whocan help – if you would like to book a box for the game – or afuture game – or if you can do some advertising or sponsorship withus, PLEASE get in touch. If you are able to get a group of peoplefrom your company or club to come along, PLEASE give us a call.

BLAZE ACTION MONTH starts now. It has to. Our situation is notinsurmountable. Far from it. But we need everyone behind us and doingeverything they can. This is a serious situation and we want to beopen with everyone about it. This is a genuine plea to everyone.Please don’t leave it to someone else and think all will be OK. Weneed YOU to get behind us and right now.

If you are coming to the game, buy a programme, a 50/50 drawticket or a shirt raffle ticket. Or treat yourself to a drink inCrosby’s Bar before, during or after the game – all of this helps

If we pull together now, this club can be around for the nexttwelve years providing all the good things it does for the city. Soplease. Now is the time we need YOU. Do YOUR bit to help and we willget through. If we have a packed arena on Saturday, it's the firststep to give us a fighting chance. If you can't come but still wantto help, buy a standing ticket through the box office.

To book tickets, please call the box office on 02476 630693(option 0), book online via the Buy Tickets link onwww.coventryblaze.co.ukor call in person at the Skydome Arena Box office.

If you are a business who would like to help us, please callthe Blaze office on 02476 223220

Thommo, Andy, Mike and James.

Please come to a game or two if you've been thinking about it or been before. This is the last successful club Coventry really have and they need our support. I've been going to the hockey for years and I can tell you now, there really is nothing else like it. It's family friendly, full of entertainment and the fans are just great.They have banter during the games of course, but it's not hostile or viscous like in football and so on. Players have the time to talk to you after the game and so do anyone from the club (owners, coach, and so on). It's just like one big family and they have brought so much success to Coventry it's shocking that no-one has really picked up on it.

The media in the UK do a really poor job of covering hockey and it's about time it changed. This club really is a gem and I really don't want to see it go. So please, it's not as expensive as other sports, so you won't need to dig deep, and it's not like the club need millions of pounds to survive. This is on a much smaller scale and can easily survive if the people of Coventry just got more involved. Visit the Coventry Blaze website for more information.

Thank you

Sky Blue M

Lets be fair mate it is pretty expensive. 16 quid for the match.... so more expensive than the rugby and not much cheaper than the football ......added to the fact that most people on here are proabably already paying for the football. With regards to other points in your section, why would the media promote what is a minor sport in this county??

Tad

Lets be fair mate it is pretty expensive. 16 quid for the match.... so more expensive than the rugby and not much cheaper than the football ......added to the fact that most people on here are proabably already paying for the football. With regards to other points in your section, why would the media promote what is a minor sport in this county??

Rugby is cheap because it couldn't really be in a worse league, CCFC are circling the toilet - yet still charge a arm and a leg?! I say the media is poor because it is. Hockey use to pull big crowds in this country, it even use to be shown live on the BBC. Here is an example of how bad the press here is: I doubt many of you know Paul Thompson, blaze coach, is the international team GB coach too. He's managed to get the squad from the bottom of the International groups to just outside the top against teams like Canada and USA - lost out by 1 point! Grr!! Yet, there was nothing in the media about it. Too busy moaning about our England football squad.

Coventry Blaze are well known through Europe as a great team and a great hockey city and are in danger of losing it all to a small blip. There not asking you to come every game. Just try it and if you like it, come to a few every now and then. Trust me, they do more for the community then you may think. The fans care deeply for the club. There all going out of there way to help the club - even other teams in the league are trying to help, they know losing this club would be bad news for everyone involved with the sport in the UK. Fans are sponsoring players, buying stuff, auctioning off legendary player shirts signed and much more. But we need the city of Coventry to really get behind the club now more then ever.

Most games are on a Sunday night too (about 6pm).

UPDATE: Hockey Live On The BBC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdnk0SCmTaY&feature=related - 1995 Wembley Play-off Final.

Last edited:

Sky Blue M

I have tried it. Been to 2 games. Paid a tenner for a ticket both times and enjoyed it but dont think I would pay much more than that. A ticket for CCFC isn't much more expensive .

Anyway what has actually happened for this sudden drive to come about??

Also I didnt say the media werent poor, I meant why would the media promote something that isn't in most of the public's interest?

Tad

I have tried it. Been to 2 games. Paid a tenner for a ticket both times and enjoyed it but dont think I would pay much more than that. A ticket for CCFC isn't much more expensive .

Anyway what has actually happened for this sudden drive to come about??

Also I didnt say the media werent poor, I meant why would the media promote something that isn't in most of the public's interest?

Get what you mean, sorry. The media never give it chance too grow. They never really report anything unless it's bad. When blaze won the grand slam, they had one page at the back about it and that's only because the writer is a hockey fan- they wouldn't do it otherwise. That was only evening telegraph. No mention of it anywhere else. Poor or what!?

The reason: We are going through a transitional period (every team has them), and we're down by about 100 or so fans. That's one part of the problem. The main part is sponsors not paying up. Only a few not all, but it's had an effect and Blaze have had to let go of Luke Fulghum because of it (our top goal scorer). Blaze can survive, but they need the support to be there so they can re-structure the club the way for it to stay competing.

Think it's a bit harsh to say it's not worth it. 16 gets you 60 minutes of heavy hits, skilful play and fights; all at a high tempo.

Last edited:

Sky Blue M

I have always thought that the Blaze should do something similar to what the Rugby team have done recently with offering CCFC season ticket holders discounted tickets.... do Blaze see a marked increase in attendance on non football days or when CCFC are away?

Tad

I have always thought that the Blaze should do something similar to what the Rugby team have done recently with offering CCFC season ticket holders discounted tickets.... do Blaze see a marked increase in attendance on non football days or when CCFC are away?

They have been doing that on cup games, but can't anymore for reasons already said. It's rare games are on anything other then a Sunday night at 6. Don't think a lot CCFC fans bother with anything other then footy, or just don't know about it enough to know how good they are. but as I've said, we're in danger of losing the club and we need more and more publicity and support at this time. I'm sure a lot of you would actually enjoy it. It's great fun with a really great fan base that just needs more from the city at this moment. Fans are flocking the blaze shop in hope of saving the club - just went past it: it's heaving!!

Last edited:

Tad

why should we help the balze they have done nothing for the football club

What can they do? There a much smaller club compared to a football club. Football clubs deal with millions, hockey deals in thousands. Blaze have helped Coventry as a whole though. They've done charity events/games, donations, training for kids, academies, university deals, they've helped small businesses get started, they've helped people get jobs when they hold open days, they help apprenticeships. This isn't even about CCFC, It's about a Coventry based sports team in trouble.

Last edited:

speedie87

if it was ten quid i'd prob go half a dozen times a year...........

at £16 i haven't been at all

Speedway is similar........

or perhaps i'm just tight.

Tad

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread