Could be a huge factor (1 Viewer)

Skybluedar

It is my opinion that we are a better side than both Doncaster and Notts Forest & I think that considering the manner that they are beaten in most weeks, it is harsh that we are below them in the league. However the table doesn't lie and we would be ahead of them if not for being incapable of seeing a game out and picking up the point(s) that we had fought tooth and nail for, for the best part of the game.

Anyway reading this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16970312 means that another club are likely to be right in the middle of the dogfight. I still feel that we can finish above Doncaster & Forest and a 10 point deduction (and I am not saying that I am hoping for this, I am just stating a fact) for Portsmouth is very real, which means we could potentially finish above them too.

I wonder if this is something that Thorn would point out, I know it is not down to others but what we do etc etc, but at the end of the day, I think survival for us this season, is very much going to be down to what others do. We are not picking up enough points to steer ourselves out of it and luck around us (for us) is something we need to pin our hopes on. Needless to say we should be using it as a positive. Anything is possible and the lads need to go out fighting (as Deegan has just come out and said in the Telegraph) and put pressure on these sides. We MUST get off the bottom of the table. Any thoughts?

PUSB

Astute

Forest have better players than us.

coop

I think the teams around us will start picking up points we lost our chance of putting pressure on them by losing the last two games from winning positions if we'd won them our confidence would by high then I would of fancied us for survival but last week said it all for me no professionalism at the club ie a manager that's a scout(not having a go at AT) but I've got the fa badges he's got,he is scout not a manager of a championship team and for me the reason we carnt see out games is we have no full-time fitness coach and that's why so many of our players lose concentration in the last ten minutes because they are knackered and not fit enough.

Otis

Forest do have better players than us.

It is our away form that will kill us ultimately. Can you honestly, hand on heart, see where or why we are suddenly going to start winning games away all of a sudden?

Besides, people keep saying we are playing well every week. Aren't we now due for a bad run of form? Always happens to all teams. You cannot keep playing well week after week after week. We are now surely due a few poor performances.

Our away form will change tomorrow Otis when I make my third appearance at a CCFC away game this season.

I don't know how I would compare a bad run of form with what we have experienced ao far!

Covstu

for me we below it in the last couple of games where we converted wins to loses within the last 10 mins! You cannot play that badly and expect to stay up. I think Forest have the potential to stay up but current form is not on their side and the background issue probably isnt helping.

People say we have been unlucky and i would agree in parts however you cannot defend that poorly and expect to stay up. We have nothing upfront and no real delivery from our midfield, you cannot have that and stay up!

Otis

Our away form will change tomorrow Otis when I make my third appearance at a CCFC away game this season.

I don't know how I would compare a bad run of form with what we have experienced ao far!

Ahh, but not talking about bad run of results, talking about a bad run of performances. Not the same thing. We are constantly told that we are playing well every week despite the results. Well, we can't keep doing that week after week after week. We must be due a bad run of performances, rather than just results.

Astute

Ahh, but not talking about bad run of results, talking about a bad run of performances. Not the same thing. We are constantly told that we are playing well every week despite the results. Well, we can't keep doing that week after week after week. We must be due a bad run of performances, rather than just results.

You can play well and lose, just as you can play crap and win

covcity4life

just cant see us winning away right now,even ipswhich game we played crap,couldnt pass,lucky to score 2 goals

tommrow im not gonna lsiten to game, havent listened a CWR game that ended in victory this season

Otis

You can play well and lose, just as you can play crap and win

You can. You can for sure. But do you think that stands for Coventry City FC and this team? I think we only stay in games because we play well for most of the match. With our letting in comical goals and not scoring enough at the other end, you can be bound sure that when we play badly we will not win and will probably get tonked.

covcity4life

pompey may enter admin today?

10pts deudction puts them on 24 pts

but 2nd time admins have led to 17-25pts in the past!

we could find ourselves 2 pts off safety soon! which makes me rue lost points even more lol

Astute

pompey may enter admin today?

10pts deudction puts them on 24 pts

but 2nd time admins have led to 17-25pts in the past!

we could find ourselves 2 pts off safety soon! which makes me rue lost points even more lol

Luton lost 30 points once......and nearly stayed up. Maybe the points loss second time around is enough to make sure a team goes down.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yep. Been said a number of times. Second time out incurs a bigger penalty.

The first deduction was put on them while they were in the Prem, and by the PL. I could see Portsmouth arguing that as that was made by a different governing body, it should be treated as a first time offence. To be frank, how they have evaded punishment when players and the taxman are still going unpaid is beyond me, and that they rejected offers in excess of their tax payments is more ludicrous.

Astute

The first deduction was put on them while they were in the Prem, and by the PL. I could see Portsmouth arguing that as that was made by a different governing body, it should be treated as a first time offence.

A bit like saying you have lost your licence for driving a car so now you ride a motorbike as it is a different sort of licence needed

Brighton Sky Blue

A bit like saying you have lost your licence for driving a car so now you ride a motorbike as it is a different sort of licence needed

Pretty much-whether that argument would wash I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if they just got the standard 10 points off.

covcity4life

even so we have to do our job and try to win 8/9 games yet,i think high forties will be enough to stay up,we have to finish above forest and donny if pompey lose pts....but should still aim to catch millwall

chiefdave

from what I understand you get 10 pts off for going into admin but you can also get a further 20 pts off for coming out of admin without a CVA. HMRC will be owed enough of the debt to be able to block a CVA and it's their policy to always block them so they're in line for a 30 pt deduction. it will come down to when they come out of admin, they could take 10 pts this year and 20 pts next. if it was me i'd take them all in one hit and get it over and done with else they could end up going down this year and then starting next season on -20!

covcity4life

there players havnt been paid,they owe all sorts,no buyer on horizon and a meeting hrmc today...im sorry for the fans but they better not get away with this

Skyblueweeman

I agree with the original post, but I disagree with the thought of us staying up due to others being poorer/being stripped points.

Thorn (and any board support for the team by way of loan investments) needs to be the most important factor in us staying up. If the other teams get deducted points/don't win any games for the rest of the season) then that's great...I'll take that. But nothing is gauranteed, especially in football.

So for me, we need to forget about the others around us, get our own house in order, and concentrate on maximising our points return as much as possible between now and mid-May.

WM

Otis

I'd take it if other teams get deucted points, but certainly wouldn't celebrate the fact.

If we were to stay up I would like it to be by our own volition.

Otis

Yep.

Maybe we will all pray for another further 23 teams to go bust so we can find ourselves in the play-offs.

Big Mo

As a team who've accepted offers for all of our decent players i feel no guilt in hoping portsmouth get their just deserts for continuing to live beyond their means.

Otis

I suppose it is just the same as that time I won that beauty contest through having all the other competitors killed, thinking about it.

Last edited:

AFCCOVENTRY

This might be an indicator... but talking to my mate in HMRC.... this time they are on the verge of being wound up. AKA... they will not exist.

In September 2010 Dundee was again on the brink of going into administration due to a £365,000 unpaid tax bill. During negotiations with HM Revenue & Customs, the club's offer to pay £100,000 immediately was rejected.[11] On the 14 September it was announced that the club would be going into administration.[12] As punishment for entering administration the Scottish Football League docked Dundee 25 points on 1 November 2010. At the time the punishment was imposed, this left Dundee bottom of the First Division table with -11 points, 20 points behind the second-bottom team.

Astute

Yep.

Maybe we will all pray for another further 23 teams to go bust so we can find ourselves in the play-offs.

We would not even make the playoffs if every team lost 10 points unless they all sold their best players like we have.

Astute

So we would win the division and not just make the playoffs then ;)

Users who are viewing this thread