Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (1 Viewer)

smileycov

Facebook User
My gut feeling is our limit is something in the region of 150K up front with add ons.

Given the owners approach to finance I think its highly unlikely we'd sign a striker that will go for around £400K.
I’m sure I read that Jackett said we have bid 250k with add ons but that was below there valuation. They can only mess about so much, he only has a year left and is not in Kenny jacketts plans. So they need to move on and replace for themselves, if they keep pushing value to high they end up with one unhappy player who is not fancied by the manager.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm not attempting to start a meltdown here, but let's just get this right:

We've lost our best player and top goalscorer (understandable given we are in League 1), and are attempting to sign a young lad from Portsmouth who is inexperienced for half a million (or more) as his direct replacement.

We need strikers obviously, but is it me or does this all feel a little silly? Particularly the bit about blowing our transfer kitty all on one unproven player.

CCFC fan moans about spending money... I know...

mark82

We've lost our best player and top goalscorer (understandable given we are in League 1), and are attempting to sign a young lad from Portsmouth who is inexperienced for half a million (or more) as his direct replacement.

We need strikers obviously, but is it me or does this all feel a little silly? Particularly the bit about blowing our transfer kitty all on one unproven player.

No meltdown here, I'd be delighted with the signing.

Magwitch

If we don’t hurry up he will be someone else’s “great” player. We got one and a half million quid for a player we didn’t really want to lose spending less than half on his highly rated and younger replacement surely is a no brainer.

TomRad85

I think he'll be a better player than McNulty and McNulty will flop at Reading so no meltdown here. If Bayliss leaves i may have a minor meltdown...

Nonleagueherewecome

Well we've had a lot of money coming in this summer. Robins says he doesn't get the Maddison money, but he DID say that he gets all of the McNulty money. It's only fair that he does as it was not at all expected and is in a sense a bit of a "bonus" as far as cash coming in is concerned-indeed it sounds like he decided it was better to sell and not be stuck with an unhappy player, on the condition that he had the money to reinvest. So a 500k and a 700k forward signing would be my expectation, based on Robins explicitly saying that he had the money from McNulty.

matesx

Well we've had a lot of money coming in this summer. Robins says he doesn't get the Maddison money, but he DID say that he gets all of the McNulty money. It's only fair that he does as it was not at all expected and is in a sense a bit of a "bonus" as far as cash coming in is concerned-indeed it sounds like he decided it was better to sell and not be stuck with an unhappy player, on the condition that he had the money to reinvest. So a 500k and a 700k forward signing would be my expectation, based on Robins explicitly saying that he had the money from McNulty.

must of made a good few quid through play offs and Wembley too

Sky Blue Harry H

Have to remember, if you are equating money in/out with McNulty the following
£1.2M McNulty
wages = say 3k x 52kks = £150,000 ish

Buy £700k player
Buy £500k player
Wage player 1 = more than McNulty (as L1 player and cost £700k)
Wage player 2 = more than McNulty (as L1 player and cost £500k)

So that would be a net cost to the club. Hence, if trying to balance the books, unlikely to fork out that much in transfer fees.

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s hardly ‘unproven’, he’s made over 100 appearances at the age of 21. Albeit, largely coming off the bench. Yet, still has 25 goals in total, which is a decent haul given he’s been largely used as a sub. Given that Pitman scored 24 goals last season, you can hardly blame them for not starting Chaplin. From what I’ve read, Doyle rates him v highly and was impressed with him at his time in Portsmouth.

We also need to see who the other striker Robins planned to bring in (regardless of what McNulty ended up doing).

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

He’s hardly ‘unproven’, he’s made over 100 appearances at the age of 21. Albeit, largely coming off the bench. Yet, still has 25 goals in total, which is a decent haul given he’s been largely used as a sub. Given that Pitman scored 24 goals last season, you can hardly blame them for not starting Chaplin. From what I’ve read, Doyle rates him v highly and was impressed with him at his time in Portsmouth.

We also need to see who the other striker Robins planned to bring in (regardless of what McNulty ended up doing).

He is unproven really. Maybe a lot of sub appearances at a young age but you could hardly say he is even a semi-experienced goalscorer in league one.

My point was, if we are throwing half a million at him. It feels like a very bold decision given his goal tally so far. That's not his fault but we are gambling on him coming good. It wouldn't be a bad signing at all, but do you think if we sign him for that much money we would have anything left to bring in another striker?

We have lost McNulty who is a massive loss. To gamble that cash away on one player who is a lot more unproven in comparison could be a problem no?

If we bring in two strikers then 100% I think we should go for it. To sign him as a straight replacement for McNulty with no other back up could be an issue though.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Of course. I think we have more money to splash this year and I understand that.

My concern is that we need to adequately replace our top goalscorer. To throw all the money at one player who still has to prove himself properly in mens football seems like a big risk to me.

Not getting on the lads back. The last thing I would want is people to think we had McNulty #2 and start giving him a hard time. I think we need to be a bit smarter though. Hopefully we will bring in two strikers and Chaplin will be one of them.

NorthernWisdom

My point was, if we are throwing half a million at him. It feels like a very bold decision given his goal tally so far. That's not his fault but we are gambling on him coming good. It wouldn't be a bad signing at all, but do you think if we sign him for that much money we would have anything left to bring in another striker?

We have lost McNulty who is a massive loss. To gamble that cash away on one player who is a lot more unproven in comparison could be a problem no?
It's a gamble but, given the sums involved, we can only assume Robins thinks he can step up. Let's face it, we could have got two James Collins for that after all!

KersleyDigs

If McNulty's value is £1.2m, then Chaplin cannot be worth more than a quarter of that fee given experience, goal record etc can he?!

I would be concerned if we paid more than £300k for him. He can't get in Pompey's team and seems very inexperienced in starting and playing 90 mins

He has potential, but we need to pay a sensible fee. It looks doubtful that he could play up top on his own, so if Robins ever wants to move away from 4-4-2, he will end up in the same boat here as he is currently at Portsmouth....

TomRad85

If McNulty's value is £1.2m, then Chaplin cannot be worth more than a quarter of that fee given experience, goal record etc can he?!

I would be concerned if we paid more than £300k for him. He can't get in Pompey's team and seems very inexperienced in starting and playing 90 mins

He has potential, but we need to pay a sensible fee. It looks doubtful that he could play up top on his own, so if Robins ever wants to move away from 4-4-2, he will end up in the same boat here as he is currently at Portsmouth....
McNultys goal record was hardly breathtaking before he joined tbf

Captain Dart

He is unproven really. Maybe a lot of sub appearances at a young age but you could hardly say he is even a semi-experienced goalscorer in league one.

If we bring in two strikers then 100% I think we should go for it. To sign him as a straight replacement for McNulty with no other back up could be an issue though.

I'd be happy with that signing. a far sight better than bringing in Nazon or some other loanee from a 'bigger' club.
We would be buying 'potential' which needs nurturing in the right conditions. The environment seems to be right at the moment.

Reactions: vow

mark82

Yet people will say we should get £3-4 million for Bayliss.

Skyblueweeman

Feedback from one of my best mates, a season ticket holder at Fratton Park:

"Yes, very good player but that's a lot of money for him (I said I think we were offering £500-600k). He can't get in Pompey side as they can't work out where he plays best. Is a good sub but poor when he starts"

I said 'interesting'...man of many words and all that. He then responded with:

"Yes, comes off the bench and looks good, then want him to start but never takes his chance and looks poor! He is going and I want him to stay but that's good money to offer".

I'd never write someone off as any player can be entirely different when playing for different clubs (thinking Torres Liverpool/Chelsea or Salah Chelsea/Liverpool). I trust in Robins though.

SkyBlueScottie

In the space of a day, Chaplin has gone from wanting to leave Portsmouth due to lack of 1st team opportunities, and only a year left on his contract, to being a much sought after talent who will need replacing... They are trying to bump up the price.

mark82

Feedback from one of my best mates, a season ticket holder at Fratton Park:

"Yes, very good player but that's a lot of money for him (I said I think we were offering £500-600k). He can't get in Pompey side as they can't work out where he plays best. Is a good sub but poor when he starts"

I said 'interesting'...man of many words and all that. He then responded with:

"Yes, comes off the bench and looks good, then want him to start but never takes his chance and looks poor! He is going and I want him to stay but that's good money to offer".

I'd never write someone off as any player can be entirely different when playing for different clubs (thinking Torres Liverpool/Chelsea or Salah Chelsea/Liverpool). I trust in Robins though.

The consensus I've seen seemed to be that, similar to McNulty, he can't play as a lone striker and needs a bigger man up there with him. Think Portsmouth generally play one up front.

Yorkshire SB

Trouble is if you buy a striker who’s a proven goalscorwr at League 1 level, how much does that cost? Arguably we’re not a viable option for that player, as they’re looking for a step up.

Chaplin seems like a fairly calculated risk, only 21 and seemingly got lots of potential but is inconsistent. Would guess he’ll improve considerably over the next couple of years if he gets the game time.

mark82

Chaplin's goals per minute ratio in league 2 is identical to McNulty's, albeit a smaller sample size.

Magwitch

Have to remember, if you are equating money in/out with McNulty the following
£1.2M McNulty
wages = say 3k x 52kks = £150,000 ish

Buy £700k player
Buy £500k player
Wage player 1 = more than McNulty (as L1 player and cost £700k)
Wage player 2 = more than McNulty (as L1 player and cost £500k)
I understand the maths but if there is around £700k left I don’t think for a minute it will be all splashed on one player. There will be freebies fee wise all over the place from premier and championship that kind of money will give Robins plenty of clout wages wise but then there’s this scmp or is it ffp bollox how much we are allowed of that money to spend I don’t know.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Ok so on your argument he is proven, but that must then mean he is proven at not being a prolific goalscorer.

Nice work.

Robin Fisher

Hi, I am a Portsmouth season ticket holder and I wondered if I could join your Conor Chaplin conversation. We are split down here on whether it is a good idea to cash in on Chaplin or keep him here because of his potential. Some think he has never lived up to his early promise while others think he should be given a regular run in the side because he is a natural goal scorer. I personally would be gutted if he left, especially to a club in our league, because I think he is going to be a very good player. I don't think he has been given a fair chance and has been unlucky with the managers we have had here. Firstly Paul Cook would not budge from his one up front policy and Chaplin is certainly not a lone striker. He is not built to play that way anyway especially in League 2. Kenny Jackett would like to play two up front (of sorts) and he does not see Chaplin as the foil for Pitman. Chaplin scores goals from everywhere and is a real fox in the box type of player with some real spectacular goals. He has pace but has a tendency to dive with some very ham acting to go with it and really needs to cut that out of his game because, quite frankly, he makes himself look stupid at times. I don't think we will see the best of Conor Chaplin until/if he makes it to the Championship or higher where his skills will not be blunted be the lower league big boys. If the fee is £600000 I would think that is a bit of a gamble by your club

Robin Fisher

Hi, Pompey supporter here again. I should have ended that bit of drivel that I posted by saying that £600000 would represent a gamble by your club but one that I think would pay off if Chaplin is used in the best way for him in your team.

Users who are viewing this thread