Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCRJ

Maybe that's what he wants?

Why would he want that though when he's been explicitly quoted saying that he probably needs to let Chaplin go in order to bring in a better quality of player?

AFCCOVENTRY

Eisa fee potentially looks potentially on paper bigger than the McNulty fee. One is having a crack at the Championship and the other to L1. Crazy.

SkyBlueCRJ

If the player really wants the move surely he and his agent will force it through. Like our departing players do. He must be getting pissed off being a pawn in this shit Kenny Jackett game of football transfer chess.

Difficult to say. He seems very loyal to Pompey which may make him think twice about pushing for a move. But, he does want first team football so it's a tricky situation for him. If the Eisa deal falls through he may have a word with his agent as it's possible he could end up being brought back into KJ's plans for this season as at the end of the day he's still under contract. That said, he's only got a year left on that contract so Pompey may want to cash in. It's such a difficult scenario to predict.

pfceggchaser

I personally think we are treating Chaplin appallingly in this whole thing. The lad has made it clear if he's not to be a regular, then he wants to go somewhere where he is. He's a homegrown talent and a Pompey fan, and whilst we are obviously prepared to let him go to get a different type of forward, the way we have left him in limbo is shocking. At the very least, he deserves a quick resolution one way or another, and he's clearly made his mind up to join you because he will get football.

Pompey need a different type of forward and Chaplin needs to play - and a fair fee has been agreed. Whilst I understand KJ not wanting to let him go until we've got another body in the door, the club have been ridiculous in terms of how we've not got our own transfer target properly sorted out. CCFC are within rights to walk away here to be honest because you'll want somebody in ASAP to get ready for the new season. The kid deserves better than a state of limbo though, and I suspect it's only his Pompey blood that's not making him kick up more of a stink.

Reality as I understand it though is that Cov are happy to wait because Robins thinks he's the man, and he knows Pompey have the money to replace him with somebody. We've got a similar situation with Anton Walkes going on at the moment, where a fee is agreed with Spurs, but they need to get a couple of bodies back from the WC before they'll sanction the sale.

Brighton Sky Blue

I personally think we are treating Chaplin appallingly in this whole thing. The lad has made it clear if he's not to be a regular, then he wants to go somewhere where he is. He's a homegrown talent and a Pompey fan, and whilst we are obviously prepared to let him go to get a different type of forward, the way we have left him in limbo is shocking. At the very least, he deserves a quick resolution one way or another, and he's clearly made his mind up to join you because he will get football.

Pompey need a different type of forward and Chaplin needs to play - and a fair fee has been agreed. Whilst I understand KJ not wanting to let him go until we've got another body in the door, the club have been ridiculous in terms of how we've not got our own transfer target properly sorted out. CCFC are within rights to walk away here to be honest because you'll want somebody in ASAP to get ready for the new season. The kid deserves better than a state of limbo though, and I suspect it's only his Pompey blood that's not making him kick up more of a stink.

Reality as I understand it though is that Cov are happy to wait because Robins thinks he's the man, and he knows Pompey have the money to replace him with somebody. We've got a similar situation with Anton Walkes going on at the moment, where a fee is agreed with Spurs, but they need to get a couple of bodies back from the WC before they'll sanction the sale.

Common sense will prevail eventually you'd imagine. Jackett has all eyes set on Eisa and needs to extract enough cash for Chaplin to make it happen. If he waits too long though all parties will get bored and move on while he will be left with one mightily pissed off player and no improvements to the squad. Something will give sooner or later.

Nick

Administrator
Can't see it going on for too much longer, it will get to the point Robins will move on and start looking at others.

The question is, who else is there in that mould?

Terry_dactyl

Can't see it going on for too much longer, it will get to the point Robins will move on and start looking at others.

Well, I had been thinking what all this means for Allassani? He looks a similar type of player. I assume Robins sees him as a winger?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I always assumed Allassani would be more of a Wide Player, wonder if he will be able to do a job up front with Biamou or JCH?

Other than that, with Andreu just behind him and Sterling / Brown down the wings he might get some service.

Pete in Portugal

Agreed Nick. The problem is that there aren't that many pacy strikers around and even fewer who are available. That said, I'm sure Robins will have other targets in mind, if this deal falls through. The fact that he's been patient so far shows how much Robins wants Chaplin, but there will be a limit to this.

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

I always assumed Allassani would be more of a Wide Player, wonder if he will be able to do a job up front with Biamou or JCH?

Other than that, with Andreu just behind him and Sterling / Brown down the wings he might get some service.
Tbh so had I but I think he can play ‘up top’. Maybe this gives the team a bit more flexibility.
I think, generally we seem to have a few players who can play in more than one position.

Nick

Administrator
Tbh so had I but I think he can play ‘up top’. Maybe this gives the team a bit more flexibility.
I think, generally we seem to have a few players who can play in more than one position.

The only thing is the transfer window, Robins has to be sure that he can cut it up front as if he can't then it's January before he can do anything. That's also a much harder window.

Bugsy

Any one thought much about Charlie Wyke... had a good season with Bradford got league one experience. Sunderland after him for 600k.....PUSB

Sky Blue Harry H

I wouldn't be surprised if Plan B is a punt on a loanee - when you look at the potential quality of Sterling, we may have to spend less to get a season long loanee in than pay over the odds for an 'average' player (if that's all that is left out there). I know we've been stung by loanees before, but so we have with signings, and if MR can't buy who he wants, I would rather we went for a better quality loan in the short/medium term, and upgrade on a permanent basis when the right player becomes available.

JulianDarbyFTW

I think Allessani could play up top tbh. He's got the raw talent to do it. The issue is, it may take him time to adapt, as per Biamou last season. I suspect that's our plan B if things go tits up with getting another striker in.

Bugsy

He's a big lump, Chaplin is a Will o' the Wisp - completely different type of player, aren't they?

Yeah u maybe right on that one. Just thinking out loud... jeez...whats misfud upto these days
..PUSB

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

The only thing is the transfer window, Robins has to be sure that he can cut it up front as if he can't then it's January before he can do anything. That's also a much harder window.
Agreed. I’d feel happier if we have a more proven option up front. Hopefully it will be Chaplin as I’ve liked him for some time. If it’s not, we’ll have to hope we haven’t put all our eggs in one basket in pursuing him.

Bugsy

He's a target man I think, already have Biamou / JCH.

Thinking out loud again..just tell me to shut up if u like but... usain bolt lol currently having trials with A league team....PUSB

Nick

Administrator
Thinking out loud again..just tell me to shut up if u like but... usain bolt lol currently having trials with A league team....PUSB

He wasn't very good in soccer aid.

He might be quick in a sprint but others had better football brains so were already on it.

Bugsy

Maybe another name maybe worth thinking about...David Goodwillie. Banged in 25 goals last season I know it's Scottish level but still got goals in him...PUSB

Captain Dart

Apparently Sunderland have now also bid for Eisa. This could go one of two ways... Either force Jackett's hand to raise some funds... or make him decide to keep Chaplin.

I can't see Portsmouth beating Sunderland's offer.
Is Eisa Jackett's sole target, he must have a 2nd choice in mind.

Captain Dart

And his military third cousin obce removed, Full Metal.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

None of them are as stubborn as his brother "Donkey".

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread