Conor Chaplin - Signing Confirmed (Finally!) (2 Viewers)

Manchester_sky_blue

We don't know that there ever was a deal. The only ones talking about this are Pompey themselves and it doesn't fit our normal practice of conducting transfers under the radar. If he does sign, great, he sounds pretty decent. If not....someone else will. I'll let Robins worry about it.

Skyblueweeman

Prosinecki? Yeah he must be. Apparently he used to sit on his own during the half-time talk, possibly having a smoke, while the manager (graham Rix?) talked to the rest of the team.
He’d still do a job for us!
I loved the Yugoslavia ‘team’...savicevic, boksic, stoijkovic etc etc.

I had a Yugoslavian neighbour when I was younger and it was around the time of Italia 90. Stoijkovic was one of my favourite players of that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

I had a Yugoslavian neighbour when I was younger and it was around the time of Italia 90. Stoijkovic was one of my favourite players of that era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine too. He scored a goal, against Argentina I think in ‘90 (i think...Im sure you’ll know it), where he faked to shoot, trapped the ball dead on the volley, causing the player to attempt to block an imaginary shot, before passing it into the goal.
My dream midfield at the time would’ve somehow incorporated stoijkovic, hagi, Prosinecki and stoichkov (who may have been more of a forward). Possibly a terrible team but imagine the skills!

Sky Blue Harry H

Hagi played against CCFC in a pre season friendly for Brescia a few years ago - he was a great player (a wizard of a left foot - a much better version of Shaquiri, who Liverpool have just signed) Can't remember the score (think we lost 1-0)

Terry_dactyl

Hagi played against CCFC in a pre season friendly for Brescia a few years ago - he was a great player (a wizard of a left foot - a much better version of Shaquiri, who Liverpool have just signed) Can't remember the score (think we lost 1-0)
Hmmm, that rings a bell now you mention it. He was outstanding for Romania.

Sky Blue Harry H

Anybody else think we may have got Conor Chaplin and Eden Hazard muddled up?

th

Apologies if anybody else has pointed it out - but this photo in particular made me look twice

ccfcchris

Robins is playing this exactly as he should whether we get him or not. Keep transfer business in house. Portsmouth playing games trying to get as much as possible for the player.

junglej13

Apparently Sunderland have now also bid for Eisa. This could go one of two ways... Either force Jackett's hand to raise some funds... or make him decide to keep Chaplin.

junglej13

Although it seems Sunderland are covering all bases as they are also apparently in for Charlie Wyke from Bradford and George Evans at Reading. I wouldn't be surprised if Pompey are also in for Wyke.

mark82

Although it seems Sunderland are covering all bases as they are also apparently in for Charlie Wyke from Bradford and George Evans at Reading. I wouldn't be surprised if Pompey are also in for Wyke.

I'd guess Sunderland are after 2 strikers. They are completely overhauling their squad to try to reduce the wage bill.

Hobo

Scatter gun approach, need to overhaul their squad and just need players.

ccfchoi87

I'd like us to be in for him but Robins isn't looking for another big striker apparently

SkyBlueCRJ

To be fair Robins wouldn't be in a job if he brandished his transfer targets about as that tactic rarely comes off - look at Mowbray's second season with us for a case in point. Even if Chaplin is pinched by another club I'd be astonished if Robins put all his eggs in one basket with this one. Out of the previous managers we've had he's easily the most shrewd, and the most cautious. He doesn't reveal his cards and he definitely doesn't hint to the press about who, or who we might not be signing. So, given his success in the past with signings I'm not worried in the slightest about a replacement for McNulty coming in. Don't get me wrong I'd be disappointed if Chaplin goes to another club because I believe he's the missing piece in the puzzle to make us into a dangerous unit up front, but that said, this is football and unfortunately clubs in the lower reaches of the EFL rarely get their first choice targets - unless they have the budget of course.

Depending on how set Pompey are to securing Eisa I can still see Sunderland's bid driving them to up their game. It's clear Cheltenham are playing hard ball and will settle for nothing less than Eisa's worth. No one has mentioned this but credit to Cheltenham for that, they're a small club but they're not being bullied despite the fact that even £1m would be season-changing for them, let alone a further 500K on top of that. So, hopefully this will mean the Chaplin deal can be sorted sooner rather than later. After all, Pompey need the funds now to land Eisa so fingers crossed Sunderland's interest is the kick up the backside KJ and Lord DisneyLand needed.

pfceggchaser

From our end. Latest is this:
Chaplin to you - fee is agreed. North of £400k. Short of £450k, plus add ons. Deal is simply awaiting the green light on us getting a replacement. Barnsley and Bristol Rovers still 'sort of' sniffing, but the deal is agreed in effect. That money has given us the fee potential for Eisa, 100% with our own budget plus Webster windfall.

Jackett has targeted Eisa from the start. But we've been playing silly buggers with the Eisa fee. Now Sunderland have come in, it will do one of two things.
1) Make us up the fee for Eisa, like we should have done. I can't believe we didn't have this sorted the minute we'd agreed a price with you or
2) Scupper the whole deal should Sunderland get him.

Understand Sunderland's fee is the largest offered BUT isn't out of our price range. Posh a distant 3rd in the race by all accounts.

KJ wants a certain type of forward as I mentioned before. So bidding for the likes of Wyke for example isn't on the cards. Doesn't fit the profile of forward we want. Makes it all the more bizarre that we've mucked about with the centre forward market being so niche and short of good ones.

mark82

I would imagine Sunderland will pay more, plus why go to team that is only going to play one up front (apparently why Chaplin is leaving) and already has a manager's favourite in that role?

I don't imagine you pay that amount in league one if he isn't going to be the main man.

Users who are viewing this thread