Concrete Houses (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I wonder if the issue arises for timber framed construction cause that can have just as significant pitfalls if done poorly.
And when you've got subbies on a price, shortcuts and all that .
Ah a little bit of grip fill will be enough.
Ooh did I tear that breather membrane.
There's enough history behind concrete now that should be settled by a decent surveyor.

timber is worse and a thatch roof just avoid!

no_loyalty

Damp, subsidence, can't drill into it, seriously cold in winters, way way way too hot in summers... Just stay away if I were you mate

Alot of tile hill no fines for example were only meant to be livable for around 50 years...

I live in tile hill and have all of the above problems, the wife wants to put the house on the market soon, but I think we may struggle to sell it.

shmmeee

Sounds right a right shit one this shmmeee. If it was me I’d be drawing a line under it based on all the problems listed. I get the feeling of when it’s right it’s right on a house but there’s too many reasons not to here. And you never know what could come up in the future and the need to sell. Sounds like even that would be tricky.

Cheers mate. I think you may be right.

fernandopartridge

I wonder if the issue arises for timber framed construction cause that can have just as significant pitfalls if done poorly.
And when you've got subbies on a price, shortcuts and all that .
Ah a little bit of grip fill will be enough.
Ooh did I tear that breather membrane.
There's enough history behind concrete now that should be settled by a decent surveyor.
It does. The house I grew up in was non standard of timber construction (Canadian design). Very difficult to get a mortgage due to the fire risk I believe.

It's funny really, my last house was a new build and aside from the brick skin they're as good as timber framed.

NorthernWisdom

shmmeee

Yeah TBF from what I’m reading the Wimpey no fines ones are the best of the concrete designs and don’t tend to suffer “concrete cancer”

RegTheDonk

Sounds right a right shit one this shmmeee. If it was me I’d be drawing a line under it based on all the problems listed. I get the feeling of when it’s right it’s right on a house but there’s too many reasons not to here. And you never know what could come up in the future and the need to sell. Sounds like even that would be tricky.
Have to agree with Hill.

Unless you are 100% in love with this and it's going so cheap you'll never get a better bargin ... move on.

My daughter was besotted with a potential money pit, would have been her first house after 10 years of renting. She's now happy in something much better for the same price.

shmmeee

Have to agree with Hill.

Unless you are 100% in love with this and it's going so cheap you'll never get a better bargin ... move on.

My daughter was besotted with a potential money pit, would have been her first house after 10 years of renting. She's now happy in something much better for the same price.

I’ll be honest. I am in love with it and it it a bit of a bargain. Still waiting for hear from one last broker but I suspect the choice will be made for me anyway.

Nick

Administrator
It does. The house I grew up in was non standard of timber construction (Canadian design). Very difficult to get a mortgage due to the fire risk I believe.

It's funny really, my last house was a new build and aside from the brick skin they're as good as timber framed.
I really like the ones in Canada, have looked through houses there and most of them are Timber.

They all seem to live through the elements as well.

shmmeee

I really like the ones in Canada, have looked through houses there and most of them are Timber.

Well seeing that after looking at what £220k buys you in Bedworth is fucking depressing.

97 acres! A stream! A barn!

Nick

Administrator
Well seeing that after looking at what £220k buys you in Bedworth is fucking depressing.

Honestly, when you look through places like that and compare them to what you get here it's a bit of a contrast.

chiefdave

Looking at other countries and what you get for your money is incredibly depressing. Even in countries that are supposed to expensive.

Got a couple of mates who moved to Australia, one to Sydney the other to the Gold Coast. One in Sydney used to have a small flat here, now lives in a huge luxury apartment with pool & gym overlooking the harbour. The other had a small terrace ex council place with a tiny garden, now has a huge place with a pool a couple of minutes walk from an incredible beach.

chiefdave

Lived in Canada for a year, it’s pretty common once you’re outside the big cities to buy a huge plot of land and build your own place exactly how you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread