Clive Eakin - another council lackey (1 Viewer)

MalcSB

listened to phone in. Clive can’t recollect that CFC were told there was still a route to ownership on return to Ricoh. It was Councillor Thompson who said so, was in the cov tel. Cuts off anyone criticising ccc and then says it isn’t there role to take sides. The phone in was totally biased.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Someone said that one of the parties has to back down and that n their opinion it has to be wasps. They shouldn't even be here. They've no right to take over our stadium etc. He didn't ask anything of their reasoning but simply said "thanks , you're entitled to your opinion" and moved on to the next question.
Must be embarrassing given that this station actively advertises upcoming Wasps matches during the Sky Blues matches when they know of the hostility towards Wasps. Idiots.

JulianDarbyFTW

Clive has his hands tied, to be fair. The BBC can't be seen to take sides on something like this because of their supposed requirement for impartiality. I think he knows the score, but also knows that he'll end up caught in the middle of this whole shitstorm and piss off one or more of the SISU / Wasps / CCC Out factions if he says it as he sees it.

Evo1883

Clive has his hands tied, to be fair. The BBC can't be seen to take sides on something like this because of their supposed requirement for impartiality. I think he knows the score, but also knows that he'll end up caught in the middle of this whole shitstorm and piss off one or more of the SISU / Wasps / CCC Out factions if he says it as he sees it.

Mate I don’t mean to bring this up on here but that’s nonsense , the bbc are not impartial about anything .

Brexit and trump should show you this

I don’t mind Clive though tbh

JulianDarbyFTW

Mate I don’t mean to bring this up on here but that’s nonsense , the bbc are not impartial about anything .

Brexit and trump should show you this

I don’t mind Clive though tbh

That's why I said 'supposed requirement'. I think it's a part of their charter iirc. We all know they're anything but, but imho Clive has always tried to sit on the fence. If you asked him if he wanted a jacket potato for dinner he'd try to extol the virtues of mash, chips and wedges, acknowledging that they're all as nice as one another and that all potato based products are equally deserving of a place on his plate.

Silsden

That's why I said 'supposed requirement'. I think it's a part of their charter iirc. We all know they're anything but, but imho Clive has always tried to sit on the fence. If you asked him if he wanted a jacket potato for dinner he'd try to extol the virtues of mash, chips and wedges, acknowledging that they're all as nice as one another and that all potato based products are equally deserving of a place on his plate.
What a load of Potato Waffle

MalcSB

It sounded to me, when Pete called, that Clive was nervous about the direction the call to could be going and couldn’t bring the call to an end quick enough.

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

Clive is ok, nothing more, nothing less, which to be honest isn’t really good enough.

He’s a professional broadcaster and journalist, yet on numerous occasions he’s proved he can’t do the basics.

My biggest objection to him, potentially unfairly, is that he isn’t a Coventry fan (or if he is you can’t tell). He lacks passion when he talks about us, and while he has to maintain some impartiality, having an actual opinion is allowed.

JulianDarbyFTW

My biggest objection to him, potentially unfairly, is that he isn’t a Coventry fan (or if he is you can’t tell). He lacks passion when he talks about us, and while he has to maintain some impartiality, having an actual opinion is allowed.

If memory serves, he's a Tranmere supporter.

I still miss Rob Gurney tbh.

chiefdave

It sounded to me, when Pete called, that Clive was nervous about the direction the call to could be going and couldn’t bring the call to an end quick enough.
Spot on and that's the problem. Its not balanced at all. When someone comes on who isn't the usual council good / SISU bad they get cut off. Not to mention the chap pointed out, correctly, that Wasps hadn't paid £20m for ACL and Clive said he was wrong. Gilbert used the same incorrect figure in his piece last weekend.

Even the Trust have admitted that Wasps didn't pay £20m, its factually incorrect to claim they did yet the BBC repeatedly make the same 'mistake'.

MalcSB

I guess I am just sick of the local media who were happy enough to take a ride on the back of sky blues good times, and in some cases profit from them, who now take such a partisan stance and not prepared to put all parties under scrutiny. It’s almost as if they were all members of the same Masonic lodge !

Nick

Administrator
Wasn't Linnell in a box with ranson and hoffman etc the other week for a game? I'd struggle to be impartial when it comes to my mates to be honest.

NorthernWisdom

But are the people doing the research impartial?
Now, I could write you 30,000 words on objectivity, but it'd be rather boring ;)

But... as good as you're going to get, with methodologies that can be checked and tested.

Now, if we move from national to local level, then there's enough from Simon Gilbert's approach since joining CWR from the Telegraph that shows how there's more of a balance coming out than before - we can all argue endlessly over many pages on here if it's enough. Naive to expect a commercial media to be impartial mind. Telegraph never has been, and never will be. Same as the Mirror, Mail aren't.

mark82

Now, I could write you 30,000 words on objectivity, but it'd be rather boring ;)

But... as good as you're going to get, with methodologies that can be checked and tested.

Now, if we move from national to local level, then there's enough from Simon Gilbert's approach since joining CWR from the Telegraph that shows how there's more of a balance coming out than before - we can all argue endlessly over many pages on here if it's enough. Naive to expect a commercial media to be impartial mind. Telegraph never has been, and never will be. Same as the Mirror, Mail aren't.

Winds me up when people accuse the BBC of not being impartial just because they aren't rabidly spouting the same opinion they are. Impartiality doesn't mean they can't have people with opinions on their shows, just that they have to provide balance. On the whole they do a pretty decent job of it.

letsallsingtogether

I think they do a decent job but mentioning wasps during a city game is incendiary. How many fans do we think there are across both clubs? 3-500???
And the bloody travel during the phone in when there is only 5 minutes left.
Ffs wait until its finished.

Funny just heard him say someone has text in saying please dont mention the Wasps he sounded quite upset and said he will.

Nick

Administrator
And the bloody travel during the phone in when there is only 5 minutes left.
Ffs wait until its finished.

Funny just heard him say someone has text in saying please dont mention the Wasps he sounded quite upset and said he will.

Yeah it pisses me off when they bust into the travel every so often. We could have just won 7-0 and they want to interupt everything to say about a bit of traffic on a roundabout in tile hill.

CCFC54321

My back went up today when Clive mentioned there was no rugger today as Wasps were not playing and cov were playing Sunday. It’s trivial in the scheme of things but cov rugger should have been discussed first and wasps certainly second (prefer if they weren’t mentioned). It irritates me and I’m sure Clive does it for a reaction.

I still don’t understand why Wasps are covered on CRW as there not representing Coventry people

Users who are viewing this thread