City v West Ham 1981 Semi Final Video (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

Yes I know there’s a section for these, but this is big! After 39 years waiting to see the TV highlights of this epic night (previously there was only a fuzzy 2 minute vid of the goals), someone’s recently put it on YouTube. What a night!

Ah yes, one of my favourite ever games.

Ring Of Steel

Ours was some team as well, don't know what average age was but had we kept that lot together then we could have really gone on to do something.

I wasn't allowed to go to this game as it was a schoolnight :(

Mcbean

Before my time but exciting game - Bill Bonds ! Parkes the most expensive keeper in the world ! their disallowed goal ( not that i and the crowd were bothered) could'nt see what was wrong thought the player at the front didnt strike the ball

torchomatic

Ours was some team as well, don't know what average age was but had we kept that lot together then we could have really gone on to do something.

I wasn't allowed to go to this game as it was a schoolnight :(

I was allowed to go to night games as my Dad didn't want to miss out! I was 15 when this was played.

Monners

I was allowed to go to night games as my Dad didn't want to miss out! I was 15 when this was played.
Same here mate. Was living in Kettering and the old man was a site manager on a school build in Cov. He got tickets off Gerry Daly in the main stand - and drove back to pick me up to go back to the game.

Top 3 HR games along with Spurs 4-3 in 86 and the 3-2 v Man Utd in 97.

Ring Of Steel

I was 6 and my old man only had a box for league games, he was in the Sky Blue Stand I think, and I can kind of see why he wouldn't have wanted me there..

The talk at school the next day was all about Garry Thompson of course, & also the ICF and their green flying jackets.

They were special times, the city itself was on its knees but those young kids we had playing for us- great times, gave us all hope. Look at them at the end, that was a proper team.

Monners

Was a brilliant night.
Return leg probably the scariest English game I've been to :)
My old man wanted us to go to the second leg, but I said no for some reason. I don’t know why - turned out to be a good decision with the trouble and us losing

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

Same here mate. Was living in Kettering and the old man was a site manager on a school build in Cov. He got tickets off Gerry Daly in the main stand - and drove back to pick me up to go back to the game.

Spurs 4-3 is my number one of all time- everything about it, the queues to get in beforehand, hearing the tannoy announce the teams from outside the Sky Blue Terrace entrance, hearing the shock from people that Nick Pickering had been dropped, feeling genuinely physically sick desperate to get into the ground, clocking that they were wearing our away shirts, then being treated to the most wonderful, exciting, rollercoaster, magnificent game I ever saw. And big chunks of the ground for some reason singing along to Reet Petite at half time :)

Magwitch

One of the best home games I ever seen at Highfield Road without question, the return at Upton Park certainly not for the feint hearted battles with the ICF and SPG all night.

Monners

Spurs 4-3 is my number one of all time- everything about it, the queues to get in beforehand, hearing the tannoy announce the teams from outside the Sky Blue Terrace entrance, hearing the shock from people that Nick Pickering had been dropped, feeling genuinely physically sick desperate to get into the ground, clocking that they were wearing our away shirts, then being treated to the most wonderful, exciting, rollercoaster, magnificent game I ever saw. And big chunks of the ground for some reason singing along to Reet Petite at half time :)
Yeah - the game had everything. Good quality football from both sides. I was in the Sky Blue Terrace also - a Christmas game, so my sister and kid brother were there too. Still gets a mention. Unfortunately the old man died a year or so later, but still good memories

fernandopartridge

Yes I know there’s a section for these, but this is big! After 39 years waiting to see the TV highlights of this epic night (previously there was only a fuzzy 2 minute vid of the goals), someone’s recently put it on YouTube. What a night!

What a great watch. The football authorities are a disgrace for how they've ruined the game in this county at the behest of very rich people.

Monners

What a great watch. The football authorities are a disgrace for how they've ruined the game in this county at the behest of very rich people.
Agree completely. A proper game with both teams giving everything. The way we were taught to play. (Although I was shit)

Ring Of Steel

Yeah - the game had everything. Good quality football from both sides. I was in the Sky Blue Terrace also - a Christmas game, so my sister and kid brother were there too. Still gets a mention. Unfortunately the old man died a year or so later, but still god memories
sorry about your dad.

There aren't many specific moments that I can close my eyes and 'see again' as they had so much of an impact- Houchen diving for the Cup Final goal right in my direction is one, and Cyrille hanging in the air right in front of the West End just about to score the winner in this match is another. Those moments will stay with me forever I reckon.

richnrg

one of my favourite games. I was stood in the Sky Blue Terrace, which was absolutely rammed, squashed against the fence and next to a young West Ham supporter, who (bravely) kept singing "yor airt the cap, yor airt the cap" in my ear after we'd gone 2 nil down.

Cue everyone within about 20 yards pointing at the poor sod and joyously singing "yor airt the cap" back at him as Garry Thompson scored our third.

Last edited:

Monners

sorry about your dad.

There aren't many specific moments that I can close my eyes and 'see again' as they had so much of an impact- Houchen diving for the Cup Final goal right in my direction is one, and Cyrille hanging in the air right in front of the West End just about to score the winner in this match is another. Those moments will stay with me forever I reckon.
It’s alright mate - a long time ago. Fond memories.

The 81 semi final and the 4-3 stick in the mind for the sheer quality and drama.

tisza

Forgotten how fast football used to be.

2 of my favourite players - little Danny Thomas and Steve Hunt.
Remember us signing Hunt and thinking he had to be brilliant as he came from Pele's club. Also being a kid I was waiting for him to go off on someone with his karate skills:)

Monners

Remember us signing Hunt and thinking he had to be brilliant as he came from Pele's club. Also being a kid I was waiting for him to go off on someone with his karate skills:)
Loved Hunt and Daly (best player on the pitch that night)

Danny Thomas was sheer class

rob9872

I don't suppose anyone has any footage of the 5-0 Watford game in the previous round do they? I was there and one of my earliest Sky Blue memories (looking up at the scoreboard from the old kop) yet I can't remember Peter Bodak's goal. I was talking to him and he told me it was his best one despite everyone remembering the Man City goal instead. I asked Dean Nelson and if anyone has it, he is most likely to, but so far drew a blank.

Thx.

Happy_Martian

I'd throw the 1992 Forest 5-4 Littlewoods Cup game in that as well.

But it was amazing to see Highfield Road buzzing once more.

DannyThomas_1981

I was there as a youngster!

And for the Watford quarter final as well.

The West Ham 1st leg is simply my all time favourite game at HR. 2-0 down. 3-2 up. As someone posted above I will never forget the celebrations after the third goal.

Difficult to explain now but the LC semi-final was a huge deal for us/every club in 1981. I don’t think we’d been in any semi-final before - never mind getting to Wembley. And the LC was viewed very seriously as something worth winning then.

It was a fantastic young team as well with a great manager. There’s a very decent book out about our team in 1981 and our LC campaign - worth a read. Titled: ‘29 Minutes from Wembley.’

rob9872

I was there as a youngster!

And for the Watford quarter final as well.

The West Ham 1st leg is simply my all time favourite game at HR. 2-0 down. 3-2 up. As someone posted above I will never forget the celebrations after the third goal.

Difficult to explain now but the LC semi-final was a huge deal for us/every club in 1981. I don’t think we’d been in any semi-final before - never mind getting to Wembley. And the LC was viewed very seriously as something worth winning then.

It was a fantastic young team as well with a great manager. There’s a very decent book out about our team in 1981 and our LC campaign - worth a read.

DannyThomas_1981

I don't suppose anyone has any footage of the 5-0 Watford game in the previous round do they? I was there and one of my earliest Sky Blue memories (looking up at the scoreboard from the old kop) yet I can't remember Peter Bodak's goal. I was talking to him and he told me it was his best one despite everyone remembering the Man City goal instead. I asked Dean Nelson and if anyone has it, he is most likely to, but so far drew a blank.

Thx.
‘Bodak’s the name, goals are my game’! He was a very talented player who was playing in the wrong era - a couple of years later it was all route 1 and getting it into the mixer. Terrible football on heavy pitches. In the modern era, Bodak would be highly valued.

DannyThomas_1981

Both players make it into my all time City team. Absolute class. I do recall Steve (who was a silky player) getting sent off at HR for sparking someone out.

Flying Fokker

Ohhhh yesss. Garry Thompson. OG. Norwich. 5-4/ Bristol 2-2 bloody Gerry Gow and this game all equal in my opinion. Was it 36903 there?

Flying Fokker

Norwich game had penalties, missed penalties. Did Wallace score an overhead kick. Jim Blyth save at the death.

Ring Of Steel

Ohhhh yesss. Garry Thompson. OG. Norwich. 5-4/ Bristol 2-2 bloody Gerry Gow and this game all equal in my opinion. Was it 36903 there?
35,608 at the West Ham game.

4 months later we announced that the capacity was going to be just over 20,000, and we saw a pretty immediate drop in crowds of 30%.

Right idea for the ground, wrong time and badly managed... rings a few bells

Users who are viewing this thread