city miss out - what a load of rubbish (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

It's because Swindon agreed to pay out his contract at Leeds, which was about four times the salaries we pay. I'm more confused by how Swindon can afford it; it seems obvious why we passed.

luwalla

where does it say that ?

and if that was the case, then i wouldnt call that "joining on a free" as they are paying a fee to enable him to join

mrtrench

"Leeds had wanted the club to cover the cost of paying up his two-year contract, where he’s understood to be earning three to four times more than the average City player, with the player looking for a decent settlement on the remainder of his deal."

mrtrench

No fee has been paid to Leeds, hence he joined on a free. A sweetener was paid to the player so he agreed to leave Leeds.

luwalla

thats a quote taken from the coventry article.. all it says it that leeds wanted us to cover it. and even if we had done that, im not sure it would have ben us that paid direct to the player. and even if that is what they were asking us , there is no indication that is what happened with Swindon

A Lot of presumptions :)

Evo1883

Swindon have just recieved pretty good money for a couple of players ..their better players .
They probably used some of that to fund this deal

rupert_bear

He ain't Lionel Messi you know, I am sure we had the same option but decided it was too much. We have other positions to look at too there will be some freebies about the next month as well as loans have faith in the manager hasn't signed a dud yet and I was told yesterday this Lateef could prove to be the best.

covcity4life

agree with rupert, not end of world.

now all the loans are opening up i am sure mogga will find some good players to bring in be it just the 1 or 3-4

Bob Latchford

Its very difficult to give an opinion on this, without someone on here jumping down your throat/defence of sisu but , our owners are very prudent with their cash . so , it should tell everyone what they need to know re this particular deal .

mrtrench

thats a quote taken from the coventry article.. all it says it that leeds wanted us to cover it. and even if we had done that, im not sure it would have ben us that paid direct to the player. and even if that is what they were asking us , there is no indication that is what happened with Swindon

You asked where it said it, so I quoted it for you. Do you imagine Leeds said that only Coventry must pay out his contract? Of course Swindon did.

Kingokings204

To get good players like this you have to spend a bit. We did on vincelot. We have been getting good crowds and sales are very good in the shop.

We should be able to compete to get a quality centre forward like ajose in. It's not like we have many strikers is it.

mrbluesky87

Its very difficult to give an opinion on this, without someone on here jumping down your throat/defence of sisu but , our owners are very prudent with their cash . so , it should tell everyone what they need to know re this particular deal .

It highlights a lack of ambition by the owners but whats new. I support the team and TM and the atmosphere at the Ricoh is excellent currently but that does not take away the dis-like I have for our owners.
We are not talking millions, just a couple of hundred thousand on a player (like Vincelot) mainly to keep or put more bums on seats. If the squad stays as thin as it is I doubt we will be competing at the business end of the season and the crowds will reduce.
I'm a massive CCFC fan but for god sake I want something to cheer about instead of another mediocre season in the third tier and if we cannot compete with the likes of Swindon Town for a player of this kind, then we will be in this third tier for a long time.

FRY-CCFC

Do you guys not think Mowbray will have looked at the remainder of his budget and thought, using such a significant amount of it on a journeyman like Ajose is probably not worth it?

rupert_bear

Lateef approached Mowbray, no agent involved. After a few trial games TM decided he's up to scratch ability wise and that's fine by me. Won't be costing an arm and a leg either and manager knows him from the passed, leaves funds for other options as I have said on other threads the training ground opinion is high for this fella

H

Huckerby

Yes it's a quote from the Coventry article that you linked too.
Free transfer yes because they didn't pay Leeds. They paid the player.

What's our average wage, 2 grand a week? So if it was three times that (it says 3 to 4 but let's go three to be safe) he wanted paying the equivalent of 6k a week over two years, which is about 600k if my maths is right?

So another way of looking at it is Coventry refused to pay 600k for a player from Leeds, and Swindon coughed up. Seems fair enough to me, we don't have that kind of money to be passing away on one player. Stop crying

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Warwickhunt

what about the FFP swindon do not have gates as good as ours, the amount of loans(6) i believe- for championship players must be killing them - does anyone know how many clubs in the 1st division are under embargo for breaking the FFP

RFC

ceetee

Because he still has to step up to playing in the league and was presumably happy to sign for 4 months. Like I said on another thread, it's really an extended trial just like we did with Stokes. If it doesn't work out he is free to go in the Jan window and the club isn't committed long term. Makes sense to me.

Covstu

It highlights a lack of ambition by the owners but whats new. I support the team and TM and the atmosphere at the Ricoh is excellent currently but that does not take away the dis-like I have for our owners.
We are not talking millions, just a couple of hundred thousand on a player (like Vincelot) mainly to keep or put more bums on seats. If the squad stays as thin as it is I doubt we will be competing at the business end of the season and the crowds will reduce.
I'm a massive CCFC fan but for god sake I want something to cheer about instead of another mediocre season in the third tier and if we cannot compete with the likes of Swindon Town for a player of this kind, then we will be in this third tier for a long time.

There is a difference between paying £200k (or whatever) for a player who is on £3k per week that signing a player on a free on £10k. You then get 4 or 5 players knocking the managers door for a pay rise

Last edited:

torchomatic

Thing is, we're fifth in the league. The football is good, the atmosphere is good, there's a positivity about the place. When something like this happens it's good for the little moaners to come out of the woodwork and try and drag the club down. We couldn't afford the "fee" which really doesn't matter if it was to the selling Club or to the player himself. We have to cut our cloth accordingly. I can't afford a new car but I'm not going to start a thread on here blubbing about it.

Another stick for some.

FRY-CCFC

The yorkshire evening post journo that broke the story seems to think we're still trying to get him

steveecov

Thing is, we're fifth in the league. The football is good, the atmosphere is good, there's a positivity about the place. When something like this happens it's good for the little moaners to come out of the woodwork and try and drag the club down. We couldn't afford the "fee" which really doesn't matter if it was to the selling Club or to the player himself. We have to cut our cloth accordingly. I can't afford a new car but I'm not going to start a thread on here blubbing about it.

Another stick for some.

Torchomatic would be a great name for a car

torchomatic

mark82

if the training ground view is so good why only give him a 4 month contract

Kieran Crowley said on Twitter yesterday that he was still registered with his last club (in Malta?) So deal had to be done yesterday. Guess it's essentially a bit of an extended trial.

Users who are viewing this thread