City 4 Everton 1 (1 Viewer)

JulianDarbyFTW

That first throw-in puts some of the modern-day so-called long throws into perspective. And Gibson's (?) enthusiasm at the third goal going in was a joy to see. Lovely stuff.

Hobo

I had moved to Sheffield - it was before Social Media. I could not get the result anywhere tv (no dedicated news channel) or radio. I phoned up Coventrys local radio staion at around 6.30pm from something called a Public Phone Box.

Guy answered phone said "We won mate 4-1."

I think I replied dont mess me around what was the score?

He said "Don't worry we are staying up - we won 4-1!"

Oh the relief and time to go to the pub!

usskyblue

Was in the East Terrace for this one. I was one of the littlebastards that climbed the fence at the end

Adge

Yep-remember it-hot day aswell. My dad got us tickets in the Sky Blue terrace and just after KO we squeezed under the fence and 40 pairs of feet into the West Terrace! Good times!

wantageskyblue

I was one of the few who went to Stoke on the Friday evening the week before this fame, We were all but down at that stage. They were already relegated and there were only 6 or 7k there. Stuart Pearce scored for us from a penalty and Ian Painter missed his penalty for them.

2nd of the 3 games v Luton @ at half full GR- Sealey was fantastic in their goal but thank heavens for Killer’s piledriver to set us the Everton game.

Probably the most tense I have ever been before a game - we were in the West End and I can still remember how hot it was. In the end it was the easiest of the 3 games. Even back then had to scramble to get tickets for the game as everyone came out of the woodwork - plus ca change!

Irish Sky Blue

In the commentary they thought Cyrille was about to be sold to Bordeaux. Don’t remember that at all
He had had a fairly medicre start to his time at Coventry following on from a down turn in his form at West Brom. It was no surprise that he might have been moving on. Neither Bobby Gould or Don McKay played him in the right way and it would be another year and another mediocre season for him before Sillett took over and everything changed for him and the club.

ovduk78

We were soon brought back to earth when the sale of Pearce & Butterworth to Forest was announced, my memory thinks it was not long after but can't remember how soon it was. I do remember that Pearce was valued at less than Butterworth 🤔

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

2nd of the 3 games v Luton @ at half full GR- Sealey was fantastic in their goal but thank heavens for Killer’s piledriver to set us the Everton game.

My memory was correct, CITY 1 LUTON O.

lordy_87

In the commentary they thought Cyrille was about to be sold to Bordeaux. Don’t remember that at all
Johan Cruyff was desperate to sign him in 87. Told the Ajax board to act quickly before his value soared. They were priced out in the end after we won the cup.

wingy

We were soon brought back to earth when the sale of Pearce & Butterworth to Forest was announced, my memory thinks it was not long after but can't remember how soon it was. I do remember that Pearce was valued at less than Butterworth 🤔
I was thinking Norwich for Buttrrwortb.
Maybe that's where he came to us from.

clint van damme

Was there, Everton had rested some of their key players as they were playing in a European final the following week. Still a great win. 👍

just looked this up, they'd already played the CWC final when we played them but they played 9 games in May, 7 league games plus the CWC final and the FA cup final.
Ours was their second last game of the season.
They played the CWC final on the 15th and the FA cup final on the 18th.
And people were questioning their injuries!

oakey

I was at this match too. I was a newlywed as I'd been married at Easter.
A great day and never in doubt.
I remember trying to get news of that away game at Stoke too. Not easy in those days living in Brum. Had to rely on Radio 2 updates as 5live didnt exist.

CovUpNorth

just looked this up, they'd already played the CWC final when we played them but they played 9 games in May, 7 league games plus the CWC final and the FA cup final.
Ours was their second last game of the season.
They played the CWC final on the 15th and the FA cup final on the 18th.
And people were questioning their injuries!
I was 7, so my memory is cloudy.

Users who are viewing this thread