Cian Harries - A Masterpiece In Terrible Defending (1 Viewer)

Winny the Bish

I've finally brought myself to watching the Fleetwood highlights and one thing is strikingly obvious:
Cian Harries is an absolutely abysmal defender!

Let's run through the big chances Fleetwod had in the game, that made it to the highlights:
Watch along here:

1 - Fleetwood winger dirbbles past Harries with ease. No challenge made and winger gets in a shot.
2 - Through ball by Fleetwood. Harries is outpaced by his striker and clatters into RCC. Nearly conceding a goal.
3 - Harries appears to be beaten by the Fleetwood man on the ball. Reacts slowly/lazily to the shot.
4 - Harries man gets in behind him, beaten for pace again. Forward cuts inside and breezes past Harries, who doesn't make a challenge and seems to give up on the play. 1-0.
5 - Terrible attempt at a block tackle, ball gets played through. 2-0 Fleetwood.
6 - Doesn't block cross at the front past. Shot saved. (This one might be a bit harsh)

Fleetwood had 6 big chances and Harries was right in the middle of all of them. That is not good enough!

I don't care if he plays a few amazing 40-yard cross field balls every game, being a defender is about making tackles and stopping attackers. Yes he's young and yes he can get better, but judging by the Fleetwood game, Harries is not a good defender right now.

Last edited:

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've finally brought myself to watching the Fleetwood highlights and one thing is strikingly obvious:

Let's run through the big chances Fleetwod had in the game, that made it to the highlights:
Watch along here:

1 - Fleetwood winger dirbbles past Harries with ease. No challenge made and winger gets in a shot.
2 - Through ball by Fleetwood. Harries is outpaced by his striker and clatters into RCC. Nearly conceding a goal.
3 - Harries appears to be beaten by the Fleetwood man on the ball. Reacts slowly/lazily to the shot.
4 - Harries man gets in behind him, beaten for pace again. Forward cuts inside and breezes past Harries, who doesn't make a challenge and seems to give up on the play. 1-0.
5 - Terrible attempt at a block tackle, ball gets played through. 2-0 Fleetwood.
6 - Doesn't block cross at the front past. Shot saved. (This one might be a bit harsh)

Fleetwood had 6 big chances and Harries was right in the middle of all of them. That is not good enough!

I don't care if he plays a few amazing 40-yard cross field balls every game, being a defender is about making tackles and stopping attackers. Yes he's young and yes he can get better, but judging by the Fleetwood game, Harries is not a good defender.

He's a teenager and you've judged him on the highlights of the opposition scoring in 1 game.

No offence but duck off and grow a brain lad.

skyblueelephant76

Ben Turner used to make mistakes and get a lot of abuse when he first played but I'm sure anyone would have him back now. Young players make mistakes, Stones went for £50m in the summer and looked an awful defender at times last season. Harries is a good player and can defend, he showed that in the Bury game when he was MoM.

I've never known a set of fans so keen to find fault with their players, especially their young ones.

Winny the Bish

I appreciate that players have bad games, young players especially, but this - to me at least - was a bit worrying.

I think Harries has a tonne of natural ability, but believe his best position might be as a defensive midfielder or as the left-sided centre half in a back four where he doesn't have to be out on the wing playing a game that clearly doesn't suit him against wingers and quicker strikers.

fernandopartridge

I don't agree that Harries is a terrible defender (it was Turnbull who was AWOL for the goal) but Harries was naive in showing the player inside. Then again Turnbull comes into shot and possibly could have move towards the player himself.

Samo

Watch along here:

I don't care if he plays a few amazing 40-yard cross field balls every game, being a defender is about making tackles and stopping attackers. Yes he's young and yes he can get better, but judging by the Fleetwood game, Harries is not a good defender right now.

A detailed critique of a player based on one performance? Well done. One thing is certain.... we'll be hearing a lot more about him in the future than we will about you.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Give him time and he will be fine
I agree, as long as he learns and doesn't keep making the same mistakes, I remember when Trevor Peake and Gary Gillespie first played for the Sky Blues they made mistakes but they turned out to be excellent defender's. ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

I agree, as long as he learns and doesn't keep making the same mistakes, I remember when Trevor Peake and Gary Gillespie first played for the Sky Blues they made mistakes but they turned out to be excellent defender's. ;)

As somebody else said Ben Turner and even Phil Babb made errors at the start experience will improve him, the only concern I have is that he seems to play as the middle one of the three and I would rather see him on the left side as he is not big enough for the middle yet.

Once he improves though we will never get the benefit as he will be sold.

Winny the Bish

A detailed critique of a player based on one performance? Well done. One thing is certain.... we'll be hearing a lot more about him in the future than we will about you.
I'm going to comment on this thread in 20 years when it's just me, Nick, and the cyborgs to prove you wrong.

stevefloyd

In pre season friendly games i registered my concern on Harries since then he has had some excellent performances and i have rightly given him praise, he is still very young 18 i believe so basically a kid, he needs to have an experienced player helping and talking him through games atm thats Ricketts... its probably not the guy you would need by him now if he was training/playing alongside a trevor peake alan hansen type figure that would be invaluable in his development and maybe we would see a top class international player in the making. The same as any of our academy players so instead of highlighting his faults get your mates up to home games and increase revenue to enable our lacklustre owners to have more funds to be able hopefully to go out and sign some better players and help develop these talented youngsters that pmay for us

rupert_bear

Still young, too young to pass a definite judgement but i agree at the moment he looks better equipt to play in front of a back four than an put and out centre half. Does need to toughen up though.

steve82

I think it's a very harsh assessment of Cian Harries, I had similar thoughts in preseason when I watched him have a terrible evening at rugby town. Since then in games I've seen v Shrewsbury, bury, Northampton he's been a class act, strong in the air, in the tackle and his positional plays been pretty good too. Now the Fleetwood game I attended too sure he was not at his best, the other 10 around him was not too. Maybe he could of done more with the first goal, so could Turnbull. There on in he was unable to commit much in the tackle after picking up a yellow.
It's been pointed out earlier and I've said in previous post the similarities between him and John stones in there style of play. Stones looked error prone at Everton but again he's another young top talent that's developing like cian harries. Look what happened to him. Man city weighed in with just short of 50m, I'm not saying that's gonna happen to harries but he's clearly got a lot of ability like stones.

chinamans view

Has been class so far this season, nobody can be good every game, he needs to be in the team to develop, but if he plays bad in a lot of games he will be dropped for a while, He will be a top player in a year or so.

JWC

Watch along here:

I think the biggest worry here is that you have gone to so much effort to criticise a 19 year old defender for having a bad game based on a couple of minutes of highlights. Is a short youtube clip how he should be judged? What about all the other games and good play he's been involved in?

Pathetic

KG7

I think the biggest worry here is that you have gone to so much effort to criticise a 19 year old defender for having a bad game based on a couple of minutes of highlights. Is a short youtube clip how he should be judged? What about all the other games and good play he's been involved in?

Pathetic

Typical Cov fan - desperate to be the first one to realise how shit a player is. There is little wonder we're adrift at league one.

You should be saying 'Harries was a little off form at the weekend. He could have done better with the first goal but he was left exposed and did well to track the winger (who was much quicker than him) to the by line. He possibly didn't want to commit himself and give away a penalty and get sent off but allowed the striker to cut inside and get a shot off. However he did hold him up enough for someone else to get back and make a challenge and they didn't'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skybluebeduff

What a daft thread, these are his first full games for CCFC, do you expect him to be world class? Give him a season at least, we did Bigi ffs!

JWC

Typical Cov fan - desperate to be the first one to realise how shit a player is. There is little wonder we're adrift at league one.

You should be saying 'Harries was a little off form at the weekend. He could have done better with the first goal but he was left exposed and did well to track the winger (who was much quicker than him) to the by line. He possibly didn't want to commit himself and give away a penalty and get sent off but allowed the striker to cut inside and get a shot off. However he did hold him up enough for someone else to get back and make a challenge and they didn't'

No no. 'Cian Harries is an absolutely abysmal defender!'

There's a youtube video to prove it!

georgehudson

given a reasonable number of games together i think our defenders are capable of becoming a solid unit,
the worry, of course, is that if they show promise they'll be sold in january,
Harries has played just a handful of L1 games, so, cut him some slack

Martin180

Watch along here:

Go to a game and watch him for 90 minutes , idiot

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

For someone who has come straight out of the academy and into the first team, he's not done badly at all.

The fact is that we shouldn't be in a position to have to play him pretty much every week, he's a kid and is prone to mistakes as he is learning.

Support the lad. Any frustration should be pointed at Mowbray for his ridiculous transfer window policy.

lifeskyblue

I think harries is one of the very few bright spots of an otherwise very drab and depressing start to the season. He has made mistakes but looks in general to be assured, confident on the ball and tougher than he looks. I've said before that he reminds me of a young Alan Hanson....when the lad has a season under his belt and fills out a bit he will be an asset to this club...assuming we hold on to him

robbiekeane

That's what we need, people jumping on the back of a fresh product of our youth academy off the back of one bad performance. He's made the step up very well I actually think.

Why don't you try boo the shit out of him when he gets the ball next? That'll show him how bad you think he is and will help our results.

You absolute twat

SkyBlue_Bear83

He was at fault for both goals, he will be a great player in 2 or 3 years time but I worry with him now if he's going to play ,40 games this season

stupot07

Not sure why thr OP is getting a hammering, its quite clear from the clips that Harries defended poorly at key times on Saturday. That doesn't mean hes not played well this season, or that he won't develop into a top player. Its quite understandable, young players make mistakes and harries, like g Thomas and thr other young players will make lots of them as they play and learn.

I didn't see the passionate defence of G thomas when he missed a couple of chances. Strikers miss chances, defenders get done by attackers.

Harries will learn and develop as will G Thomas. They just need protecting and dipping in and out of the team, we just need to bring in another centre halve to give Harries a break.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Anyone remember when Dowie persevered with Turner and left most of wondering 'why'?

The boys is that; a boy. Still a lot of learning to do and has been pushed far beyond his means already this season. But unfortunately it's the only way it can be. It won't be changing anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread