Chris Huhne (1 Viewer)

elephanttears

To be sentenced today and looking at jail. The arrogance of these politicians makes me sick.

speedie87

Anyone else see his ex and think I can see why he had an affair then see his bit on the side and think that's even worse!

Houdi

When she fell out of the ugly tree,she must have hit every branch on the way to the ground.Got up and fallen out of it again just to make sure.;)

rob9872

Arrogant how exactly? I don't know him personally but they have done nothing that thousands of others have done, but who are not in the public eye and don't have bunny boiler wives who hang out their dirty washing in the tabloids.

Grendel

He constantly protested his innocence and also ran a campaign on family values when he was having an affair.

He was also stupid. He escaped a ban by the deception but got banned a week later anyway.

rob9872

I don't dispute any of that Grendel, the man is a tool. It's the generalisation of "The arrogance of these politicians makes me sick." that I was challenging. Such an easy throw away comment. I believe that many politicians (on all sides of the house) genuinely do actually care, but are all equally tarred.

elephanttears

Arrogant how exactly? I don't know him personally but they have done nothing that thousands of others have done, but who are not in the public eye and don't have bunny boiler wives who hang out their dirty washing in the tabloids.

Oh its totally fine then you absolute tool, What kind of message is this sending to society that a person in his position of power can try to escape justice and get away with it. The punishment for this disgraced MP should be harsher than it would for a normal person to send out a message. You watch he will get 12 months and deservedly so.

What would you suggest a slap on the wrist with 20 hours community service at the retardation school?

rob9872

You do like calling people tools and retards today. Does your school have a Baker day?

I never suggested for one moment that his actions were right or that he shouldn't be punished (fairly), but equally he is no different to you or I (well actually probably very different toy ou, but not the average man on the street).

elephanttears

You do like calling people tools and retards today. Does your school have a Baker day?

I never suggested for one moment that his actions were right or that he shouldn't be punished (fairly), but equally he is no different to you or I (well actually probably very different toy ou, but not the average man on the street).

There is so much wrong with what your saying its untrue, your saying he should get the same punishment as me or you? Im sorry but when you enter in to his profession you need to be whiter than white. What kind of message does it send out to society if he gets a fine or cs which we would get. The judge will prove this by handing out a more severe sentence than we would get for the reasons i am saying. Tool.

rob9872

There is so much wrong with what your saying its untrue, your saying he should get the same punishment as me or you? Im sorry but when you enter in to his profession you need to be whiter than white. What kind of message does it send out to society if he gets a fine or cs which we would get. The judge will prove this by handing out a more severe sentence than we would get for the reasons i am saying. Tool.

Why should he abide any more laws than you or be treated any differently of he breaks them? I would be disppointed if he received a lighter sentence than me because of his position and equally he should be given no longer because of it. Our fair judicial system is one of the best things about our country.

Similarly I had no problem with the whole expenses 'scandal' that cost far more to investigate and hang them out to dry than we ever recovered. A few perks of the job should be a given imo as I want the best people running office, otherwise we will just lose them to the City where they can earn far more lucrative lifestyles without being accountable to the taxpayer.

elephanttears

Why should he abide any more laws than you or be treated any differently of he breaks them? I would be disppointed if he received a lighter sentence than me because of his position and equally he should be given no longer because of it. Our fair judicial system is one of the best things about our country.

Similarly I had no problem with the whole expenses 'scandal' that cost far more to investigate and hang them out to dry than we ever recovered. A few perks of the job should be a given imo as I want the best people running office, otherwise we will just lose them to the City where they can earn far more lucrative lifestyles without being accountable to the taxpayer.

Here just a few of the "perks" of the job that you approve of. Your so out of touch its untrue.

Labour minister Elliot Morley claimed £16,000 for a mortgage that had already been paid off
David Chaytor claimed £13,000 on a loan he had already repaid.
Sion Simon, the Culture Minister, secretly paid more than £40,000 in taxpayer-funded expenses to his sister
MP Bernard Jenkin, the MP for North Essex, who was asked to repay more than £63,000 in expenses he claimed for rent paid to his sister-in-law
David Laws, Chief Secretary to the Treasury, resigns after The Daily Telegraph discloses that he used taxpayers' money to pay more than £40,000 to his long-term partner in rent.
Former Labour minister Shahid Malik broke House of Commons rules by insuring his wife's £8,000 diamond ring on his parliamentary expenses

elephanttears

And by the way Huhne has just been sentenced to eight months. Much more than you or i would get, can you think of a reason why the Judge has given this sentence?

Real

I'm not saying Huhnes wife is ugly, but she knocked at 25 Cromwell Street and Freddy West said "I'm sorry love we're full up".

Macca

Seems wrong that they get 8 months but you can kick the crap out of someone and get a suspended sentence

Grendel

Seems wrong that they get 8 months but you can kick the crap out of someone and get a suspended sentence

If its 8 months it is actually 8 weeks

Grendel

I don't dispute any of that Grendel, the man is a tool. It's the generalisation of "The arrogance of these politicians makes me sick." that I was challenging. Such an easy throw away comment. I believe that many politicians (on all sides of the house) genuinely do actually care, but are all equally tarred.

That's a fair response. Majority of MP's are sincere enough. Those who make generalisations should go for it themselves if they believe it to be so easy and lucrative.

Grendel

did alex fergie get let off once for speeding because he was in desperate need of a piss thats why he was speeding

Don't know but that does not compare to the graham swann defence for drink driving.

Colonel Mustard

You are broadly correct. This attack on the public sector is, as usual, self-inflicted wounding. I'm not sure how we expect any talent working on our behalf in parliament, the civil service, regulating the banks, public prosecution, or wherever else if we're not at least offering a secure salary and pension. Keep slashing away and we'll end up with a third-rate body running our country. There are plenty of patriotic people out there who would rather work for the public good than take private money, but the compensation gap can only be so much.

This is certainly true of MPs. It is an unenviable job with non-stop hours, constant travel, getting on top of detailed briefs, local surgeries, getting walloped in public just because you have the letters M and P after your name. If we keep up this kind of squeeze, those who actually want to do some good will likely just rather stick it out in a less stressful day job, leaving the door open to those who are independently wealthy or just have desire for power.

With all that said, there is something extremely galling about Tory MPs (in particular) crowing over cuts and talking about takers, moochers and skivers when so many of them raided the public purse for their own gain ... it is shameless. And the real scandal is how many of these MPs hold second, third and fourth jobs on the boards of private companies OR move into a well-paid job as a lobbyist/'adviser' in a sector that related to the ministerial office they held. Utterly corrupt.

elephanttears

You are broadly correct. This attack on the public sector is, as usual, self-inflicted wounding. I'm not sure how we expect any talent working on our behalf in parliament, the civil service, regulating the banks, public prosecution, or wherever else if we're not at least offering a secure salary and pension. Keep slashing away and we'll end up with a third-rate body running our country. There are plenty of patriotic people out there who would rather work for the public good than take private money, but the compensation gap can only be so much.

This is certainly true of MPs. It is an unenviable job with non-stop hours, constant travel, getting on top of detailed briefs, local surgeries, getting walloped in public just because you have the letters M and P after your name. If we keep up this kind of squeeze, those who actually want to do some good will likely just rather stick it out in a less stressful day job, leaving the door open to those who are independently wealthy or just have desire for power.

With all that said, there is something extremely galling about Tory MPs (in particular) crowing over cuts and talking about takers, moochers and skivers when so many of them raided the public purse for their own gain ... it is shameless. And the real scandal is how many of these MPs hold second, third and fourth jobs on the boards of private companies OR move into a well-paid job as a lobbyist/'adviser' in a sector that related to the ministerial office they held. Utterly corrupt.

No one was talking about salaries, what was being talked about is lying and cheating politicians who think they can get away with it and sadly there seem to be a lot of them.

I worked in the public service for over ten years and I can tell you now all public service jobs are adequately paid. The politicians who have lied over expenses and the ones that lie cause irreversible damage to the confidence of the public and to the colleagues of these mp's who do a good job. That's why they should be heavily punished.

Colonel Mustard

No one was talking about salaries, what was being talked about is lying and cheating politicians who think they can get away with it and sadly there seem to be a lot of them.

rob9872 was talking about the importance of compensation to keep talent within the public sector - hence the quotation before my post.

I worked in the public service for over ten years and I can tell you now all public service jobs are adequately paid.

Non-sequitur of the highest order. Besides, it should be obvious from the financial crash that government regulators were not properly compensated, because the good ones got poached by the big banks. Maybe a lot are adequately paid, but certainly not all.

The politicians who have lied over expenses and the ones that lie cause irreversible damage to the confidence of the public and to the colleagues of these mp's who do a good job. That's why they should be heavily punished.

Lied? Irreversible? Heavily punished? All extreme terms that don't hold up. There was great transparency with the expenses scandal, so I'm unsure which particular lies you are referring to. As for the irreversible lack of confidence, well, none of us can read the future but I think it is fair to say that a popular, effective government will have high approval ratings. As for heavy punishment - are there not existing laws for a breach of the expenses rules? Are we suggesting a rewriting of the rules and then retroactively punishing the offenders?

stupot07

He'll be out in 2-3 months, and will likely serve his time in an open prison, it's his ex wife that's going to have a much tougher time in the woman's wing of Holloway.

Users who are viewing this thread