Chris Dunn > Joe Murphy? (1 Viewer)

hughescov

Has anyone seen him play at Northampton? Would he be a good replacement for Murphy who seems to keep making blunders..

skyblueben83

I watched him replace Murphy v Derby. Looked quality, made a few cracking saves and looked assured. Could be better than Westwood if given chance. We seem to do alright with keepers, probably has a lot to do with having Oggy involved at the club

Oh joy, this can of worms again!
Of his two cameo appearances, i think people base his whole prowess on that one save against Derby. I honestly have never seen him play pre season or for Northampton, but there were some critical posts of him on here from those that did. Some are saying Dunn 'commands his area more' and 'is more vocal/communicative' but i cant see how these comments are justified based on 90 mins of first team football. Murphy is very vocal in my opinion. I posted a couple of weeks ago saying how since Palace, he's not done much wrong and has made some crucial saves (off the top of my head Burnley, Cardiff, Reading penalty save). All the haters will now no doubt only remember Brighton (dropped a few albeit got away with it) and Portsmouth (soley at fault for the penalty?). Basically, although far from perfect i reckon Murphy is adequate enough and can we really afford to risk a fairly unproven goalkeeper at this level in our current situation?

Sky Blue M

Sorry but Dunn is not better than Murphy. No way. Cant believe people think that Dunn is betterafter 2 substitue apperances in the league.

ccfc2011

I think Dunn deserves a chance

wingy

How many goals and therefore points is murphy responsible for,for and against if anyone can remember?

Frostie

I watched him replace Murphy v Derby. Looked quality, made a few cracking saves and looked assured. Could be better than Westwood if given chance. We seem to do alright with keepers, probably has a lot to do with having Oggy involved at the club

Not sure if this is serious? Could be better than Westwood?!? Based on 1 decent save he has made! :facepalm:

I know City fans love to have their scapegoats & it seems Murphy is now that man.

I have seen Dunn on a few occasions & he does not inspire confidence. Northampton fans gave their manager a lot of stick for persevering with him, he made blunders almost every game. He is a big lad with decent potential but not a starter at this level yet by any means, he was brought in as a future prospect nothing more.

Last edited:
watched him many times at sixfields. good shot stopper but was very dodgy with high balls coming into the box. VERY VERY good with penaltys. good prospect. ready for 1st team action? maybe.
if murphy slips up again then his time could come.

Si80

I watched him in 3 pre-season games. He didn't inspire any confidence. Poor decision making, poor kicking from the ground and very quiet (I take that he had only just joined the team but compared to Murphy who is a gobshite he was very quiet.).

Personally, I'd like to see him given his chance as Murphy has made some very poor decisions / howlers. I don't think AT will drop Murphy though.

pusbccfc

I seen him in 2 pre season games, and trust me he was very very basic I even looked on the nuneaton forums after the game and they all said we need a new keeper based on his performance!
Murphy for the errors he has made, think about the times he's kept us in games, middlesborough and cardiff plus many more.

My brother was in goal for a team called Long Buckby in the UCL 2 years ago and played against Northampton Town. Being a season ticket of Cobblers at the time I'd go as far as saying my brother is a better goalkeeper especially if he was training everyday!

Just shows how strange the game is.

Joe Murphy for me all day long.

Grendel

Has anyone seen him play at Northampton? Would he be a good replacement for Murphy who seems to keep making blunders..

Yes I have seen him -- he is very very average. Murphy is easily one of the best keepers in this league -- Dunn is very average in League Two.

superskyblue

My brother was in goal for a team called Long Buckby in the UCL 2 years ago and played against Northampton Town. Being a season ticket of Cobblers at the time I'd go as far as saying my brother is a better goalkeeper especially if he was training everyday!

Just shows how strange the game is.

Joe Murphy for me all day long.

If I've interpreted this correctly and you have delved a year into the history books of this forum just to mention how good your brother is, then I suggest you start achieving something for yourself and getting your kicks out of that instead.

SkyBlueM

Murphy is head and shoulders above Dunn, not sure why he gets so much stick I can only think it is because he is not Westwood.

If I've interpreted this correctly and you have delved a year into the history books of this forum just to mention how good your brother is, then I suggest you start achieving something for yourself and getting your kicks out of that instead.

I just think as a football club, with the signings that we have made there are certain players that shouldn't even be in the squad. My judgement is not based on 1 game with 1 good save against Derby but watching Dunn make error after error doesn't instill any confidence for him to be our back up keeper.

Murphy is a championship keeper, Dunn at most is league 2. My point is that my brother nor players of Chris Dunn's calibre should even be getting a sniff.

Littlewood CCFC

WHAT is with the Murphy hate? he's got us out of so many bad situations this season he's made some superb saves, very vocal and has good aerial ability. Don't get me wrong i thought Dunn did ok today not much he could do about their goal but otherwise fine.

skybluebeduff

He wasn't bad today at all!. I bet most would be the same if Lee Burge started too! I really don't know what people expect sometimes... :facepalm:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He wasn't bad today at all!. I bet most would be the same if Lee Burge started too! I really don't know what people expect sometimes... :facepalm:

Im not saying he was bad; just didnt fill me with any confidence. Good low save early on and I thought he'd only get better from there on but there were moments of indecision, atleast one flap at a cross, and the communication with his back four could have been better.

Hes still very young and the backroom management must see something in the kid (then again it was the same GK coach who encouraged the club to keep hold of Ireland....)

deanocity3

Being a former 'keeper myself I could pull some great saves if they were filmed over my 20 years of playing it would fill a whole hour,but unfortunately i was useless at taking a goal kick and catching from a corner made some real howlers these would fill 5 hours.I once played against Peugeot sports down Humber road we lost 16-0 and I got man of the match !!!!

pusbccfc

Dunn sadly is quite a poor keeper. Pre season and reserve games proves he's not up to scratch.

skybluejack10

how can people say this? i like murphy but dunn did nothing wrogn today! proved he;s a great shot stopper against derby last seaosn and that was justified with the low save in the corner today. He flapped at one because he was being shoved in the back, but apart from that he started off the move fore our first goal, coming about 7 yard out of his area to claim the corner which murphy never would have dared to do and was quick off his line and alert throughout the match too. distribution was good from him too. Yes, he was quieter than murphy is but communication will come from experience. What you've got to remember is that he;s still young and has only played about 3 or 4 matches in 2 seasons and still has played well! things can only get better for him surely? at least he wasn't shouting abuse at our back four the whole game like murphy does weekly!!

Users who are viewing this thread