Chesterfield Highlights (1 Viewer)

skybluedan

I mean we looked ok then , on another day could of hit 5 , who is that with plaster or bandage on wrist mcnulty? You can see he has the class as a finisher the way he strikes a ball he will come good I hope, unlucky and Jones ,

Reactions: KG7

Otis

Have to say, in that clip McNulty looks a real menace. Pacy and dangerous.

Surely it's just a matter of time before the goals come for the lad.

We looked good on the break there too.

Even from just looking at the short clip there I found it absolutely nonsensical for anyone to say that's the worst they have ever seen City play (Yes, you, Super Johnny Gayle).

If that's the worst we have ever played I can only deduce people have been only supporting the Sky Blues for a matter of months at best.

larry_david

Highlights won't show Chesterfield taking both their strikers off, sitting behind the half way line with us passing the ball along the back line, then to burge, back to willis then along the back line again, then Doyle, then turning back along the back line again. That's why it was shocking and that's why everyone got angry at the end. Imo anyway

Nick

Administrator
Highlights won't show Chesterfield taking both their strikers off, sitting behind the half way line with us passing the ball along the back line, then to burge, back to willis then along the back line again, then Doyle, then turning back along the back line again. That's why it was shocking and that's why everyone got angry at the end. Imo anyway
That's why 2 defensive midfielders was pointless

robbiekeane

Even from just looking at the short clip there I found it absolutely nonsensical for anyone to say that's the worst they have ever seen City play (Yes, you, Super Johnny Gayle).

If that's the worst we have ever played I can only deduce people have been only supporting the Sky Blues for a matter of months at best.
Watch the full game

hill83

Can't comment on the full game and will I bollocks be watching it, so I'll trust peoples judgement as to why people were annoyed.
What I will say though is McNulty does indeed look dangerous and I'm confident it will come good for him and in turn us.

Otis

Can't comment on the full game and will I bollocks be watching it, so I'll trust peoples judgement as to why people were annoyed.
What I will say though is McNulty does indeed look dangerous and I'm confident it will come good for him and in turn us.

He twice proved he has one hell of a shot on him at least.

pusbccfc

Highlights make us look good. In reality, they were our only chances against a side bottom of the league with 10 men.

We were woeful in the first half and not much better in the second.

Nick

Administrator
When you watch that it just looks like if one went in then we would have had 3 or 4.

Just frustrating the manner of the draw.

rupert_bear

Robins had to replace virtually a whole squad with a new one, this is never easy and will take time to deliver, it might not deliver. Goalscoring is always the deciding factor, MRs brief flirtation with a bit of success here last time was the goals from McGoldrick and Lean Clarke to an extent. He has lost his hoped for goal scorer in the close season(Thomas) and awaiting someone else stepping up to the plate we just have to wait and hope that happens.

stevefloyd

I keep saying it is a new team they are getting used to each other some of Robins tactics are a little questionable but hopefully all will come good, Mcnulty did indeed look a threat and if we as a team start to provide more chances for him he will start scoring and confidence will grow

davebart

There are as many chances shown in this short clip as we would have been shown to have for a whole game on MOTD in the 80s. (when they only showed two games) There were some games shown where we appeared to only be there to be shot at.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
the mcnulty show! All it lacked was a goal! Still not sure how he missed even getting a touch on that last one never mind issuing the goal!

Thought ref handled it well yesterday. One of the better refs we've had this season (along with Tuesdays)

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed. It's still a squad of 12 new players being brought in, they probably still need to gel a bit before things start to click. After 2 loses, getting a point at least keeps the board ticking over. We clearly created chances to win the game and it looks like McNulty just had one of those games - but at least performance wise he can be happy.

Two home games now, we could do with winning both!

Esoterica

Really really pissed off with Robins for yesterday's line up. How can he not see that Kelly and Doyle isn't working while leaving our best technical player sat on the bench. A goal and a game changing performance from central midfield on Tuesday was the perfect opportunity to hand Andreu his first league start. Makes it even stranger that people are booing the players when these performances are being driven by the manager's formation and selections.

fernandopartridge

Yes but when you're against 10 behind the ball, that's what you end up having to do. You move the ball about waiting for a gap to open. We made chances and didn't take them.

fernandopartridge

Highlights make us look good. In reality, they were our only chances against a side bottom of the league with 10 men.

We were woeful in the first half and not much better in the second.

They're bottom after 4 games, it isn't exactly as clear cut as that. Also, once they went to 10 men they sat behind the ball. Any team would find that difficult to break down yet we did make chances but failed to take them. Some of the stuff written on here last night and today is nothing short of pathetic.

Skybluefaz

Looking back at our start. We've conceded one legit goal. As in not resulting directly from an individual error, in 5 games. That is a fantastic record. If Robins can find the right mix in the front 4. Surely we will win many more games than we lose. Surely right?!

pusbccfc

They're bottom after 4 games, it isn't exactly as clear cut as that. Also, once they went to 10 men they sat behind the ball. Any team would find that difficult to break down yet we did make chances but failed to take them. Some of the stuff written on here last night and today is nothing short of pathetic.

I wish I could try and look at it like that, but I can't, it was really poor. The problem is, this isn't one bad game, we've been terrible in the last 4/5 games and when you look back on Grimsby and Notts County, we weren't that good in either of them.

With the squad we have, I can't see us improving at all.

Irish Sky Blue

I agree with you about McNulty. He did all of that yesterday with little or no service. He still took loads of abuse which I don't understand.
The highlights do make things look better than they were. It was a terrible game with long passages of completely nondescript play, the sort of game that does make you wonder why you bother. We were better in the second half, we probably deserved the win. Even if we had won though it shouldn't have been used to paper over what was essentially a poor performance against another poor team. I don't understand why we don't just try and play passing football.

Irish Sky Blue

Yesterday at the game I thought Jones took a dive for the sending off. Having watched that it does seem he was brought down ( not that " felt a touch so went over " rubbish).

theferret

I wish I could try and look at it like that, but I can't, it was really poor. The problem is, this isn't one bad game, we've been terrible in the last 4/5 games and when you look back on Grimsby and Notts County, we weren't that good in either of them.

I thought we played well against Notts County who have proven since they are a strong side. Wasn't at Grimsby, but I seem to recall many raving about our second half performance.

Yesterday was a poor spectacle for long periods, but we did create, including efforts not shown on the highlights (I remember a great delivery from Jones in the first half resulting in a Vicenti header that he just got underneath). An inch or two lower he buries it. That McNulty effort that hit the bar was a great fingertip save. Fine margins. One of those goes in and we all call it a hard-fought win and we try to concentrate on the positives.

Too early to write us off. I remain cautiously optimistic that we'll have a decent season.

Esoterica

A change in formation and actually starting our best player will make a world of difference to how this squad looks. Just look at the pass on 1 min 30 of the highlights from Andreu to McNulty before he goes on his 1 on 1. The ball came to him from a quick interception and the awareness, vision and execution of the pass is better than anything else you'll see in this league all season. That he's not getting a league start is crazy.

Esoterica

I thought we played well against Notts County who have proven since they are a strong side. Wasn't at Grimsby, but I seem to recall many raving about our second half performance.

Yesterday was a poor spectacle for long periods, but we did create, including efforts not shown on the highlights (I remember a great delivery from Jones in the first half resulting in a Vicenti header that he just got underneath). An inch or two lower he buries it. That McNulty effort that hit the bar was a great fingertip save. Fine margins. One of those goes in and we all call it a hard-fought win and we try to concentrate on the positives.

Too early to write us off. I remain cautiously optimistic that we'll have a decent season.
Notts County appears to be a bit of an anomaly. They've been the only team we've played this season that actually tried to win the game and that's why we had the space to counter attack so effectively. Not sure that will be the case against many other teams this season and just another reason to drop one of the holding midfielders.

We've generally looked the better team against everyone we've played when still at 0-0, it's the formation holding us back. When we've struggled has been after going behind to the 2 stupid GK errors against Newport and Yeovil and then after the red card yesterday - basically any time teams have gone ultra defensive and our defensive midfielders have become redundant. My worry is not the squad we have but how many games are slipping by without Robins making the obvious tactical changes.

stevefloyd

On the highlights they had 2 chances a free kick and dodgy back pass, if some of our chances had gone in there would be euphoria on here today 3 games we havent conceded just a little tweak for the goals to start flowing

Mucca Mad Boys

Agreed. Whilst I wasn't there, it's clear to see we created enough chances to win the game, which is encouraging. I think McNulty will be up there with the top goal scorers in the league and he showed he's a threat - denied by a great save from a great effort.

We've conceded 3 goals, which is decent, when you take into account that 2 were goalkeeping howlers, our defence is performing very well. If that keeps up, it's only a matter of time before we start picking up wins.

Mansfield have are 1-3-1 and Luton 2-2-1 (W-D-L) so neither have the two teams favoured more than us have got off to great starts either. Still a long, long way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread