Cheap Laptop for less than £250 (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Hi can any tech gurus help me pick a machine for less than £250

Not looking for anything amazing, just something that will do basic web browsing/emails/word/excel/streaming functions.

Been looking at this refurb which seems to have decent specs for the price but if anyone can advise

SBAndy

Got a Lenovo Ideapad from Curry’s a couple of years back for about £150 with a year’s subscription to Office 365 thrown in. Decent thing considering the price.

JAM See

Not looking for anything amazing, just something that will do basic web browsing/emails/word/excel/streaming functions.

Been looking at this refurb which seems to have decent specs for the price but if anyone can advise

1651165389447.png

I'm running almost exactly the same spec. (albeit 7th gen vs 6th gen).

Not having any problems at all.

The 8GB of RAM and SSD seem to just seem to keep it going.

You've not got any chance of upgrading to Windows 11, but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

As long as you're happy with a 13.3" screen, looks a good deal

clint van damme

I've only ever used refurbs for a few years now and never had any issues. My spectrum of usage is about the same as yours, browsing, spreadsheets, e mail etc.

duffer

Just a thought, and possibly a stupid one, but does it have to be a laptop? In my experience you'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop PC.

As a possible alternative, after a fair amount of research I bought the kids one of these on Amazon before Christmas. Going new for £280 at the moment. Certainly no issues with it so far...

Acer Swift 1 SF114-34 14 inch Laptop - (Intel Pentium N6000, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Full HD Display, Microsoft Office 365, Windows 10 in S Mode, Silver)

duffer

Sorry, ignore that, the link I was looking at was for a used one on Amazon. Might still be decent value though, it is at least a recent spec.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just a thought, and possibly a stupid one, but does it have to be a laptop? In my experience you'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop PC.

As a possible alternative, after a fair amount of research I bought the kids one of these on Amazon before Christmas. Going new for £280 at the moment. Certainly no issues with it so far...

Acer Swift 1 SF114-34 14 inch Laptop - (Intel Pentium N6000, 4GB, 128GB SSD, Full HD Display, Microsoft Office 365, Windows 10 in S Mode, Silver)

Living in a one bed flat with small pets and gf has a so not much room for a desktop pc

duffer

Chromebooks are a decent option.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I thought about one of them, but I was put off by people saying they didn't work well with MS Office. I also wasn't keen on anything with less than a 128Gb SSD.

I could well be talking out of my backside of course, if you've got one can I ask how you get on with it?

FulltimeWum

Chromebooks are great for web browsing, Netflix etc. Always turn on instantly.

Google Docs and the rest of the suite replicate MS stuff very well and have some added bonuses, slides works really well with YouTube.

duffer

Chromebooks are great for web browsing, Netflix etc. Always turn on instantly.

Google Docs and the rest of the suite replicate MS stuff very well and have some added bonuses, slides works really well with YouTube.

Definitely interesting that, thanks. The worry is that we're tied into MS Office for work and school.

With apologies for another probably daft question, can you save Google docs into Word and Excel readable formats, do you know?

FulltimeWum

Yes there's no need to convert them unless there's some over the top formulas in them.

Regarding work, if you need to work on it. Work should be paying for it.

School, teams has a log in via the web.

duffer

Yes there's no need to convert them unless there's some over the top formulas in them.

Regarding work, if you need to work on it. Work should be paying for it.

School, teams has a log in via the web.

Yep, in fairness I've got plenty of kit for my work, and a ton more old stuff besides (IT hoarder alert!) but the school pass on a lot of stuff in Office, and want it back in the same format. The kids do get a student licence for free, but of course the laptop has to be able to run it.

I'd be happy with Windows and Office 95, personally, I'm the only bloke at work who can still use command line DOS. At this rate I'll be the only person left in the office who uses his mobile phone to... phone people.😄

LastGarrison

Being a tight fucker here but anyone know of how or where to download Office for free?

New job only work off Google but annoying if someone sends me something through Excel and I need to edit it etc.

JAM See

Being a tight fucker here but anyone know of how or where to download Office for free?

New job only work off Google but annoying if someone sends me something through Excel and I need to edit it etc.

Worth a try. I mainly use googledocs, but I know people who swear by Libreoffice.

Liquid Gold

Just torrent it. Or if you're on a mac I can probably send you a disk image

Kieranp96

You won’t get anything that will last under £250, it be old and slow even if it’s a “new machine” technology is moving so fast, invest in a machine around £500/750 and you will be good (obviously some people don’t have that money) but I say it’s worth the investment Over a slow ass machine that break in a year.
I run a pc and a MacBook Pro m1 2021 and combined they cost me over £5k but it was a investment one that’s paid off.

NorthernWisdom

You won’t get anything that will last under £250, it be old and slow even if it’s a “new machine” technology is moving so fast, invest in a machine around £500/750 and you will be good (obviously some people don’t have that money) but I say it’s worth the investment Over a slow ass machine that break in a year.
I run a pc and a MacBook Pro m1 2021 and combined they cost me over £5k but it was a investment one that’s paid off.
Depends what you want to do with it though.

Users who are viewing this thread