Charlton Athletic. (1 Viewer)

wingy

Skyblueweeman

Good read although I think the headline is a little mis-leading.

I guess though it's nice to see a council working to look after their club though.

Liquid Gold

Greenwich council used to work against Charlton just like CCC with us, they managed to organise and get fans elected to council positions. Once the first one or two got in the rest of the councillors shat themselves and actually started assisting the football club.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't know what you are on about, CCC fight hard for important things

Playing devil's advocate here.

The supermarket may well support more jobs and have more customers than CCFC and thus be considered a more important part of the local economy and infrastructure. You may point out that people could use a different supermarket but for some that supermarket is vital due to an inability to travel far. At the same point they could say if you want to watch football you could go and watch Sphinx, Copsewood, Folly Lane etc. It's just brand loyalty which is no different to a Waitrose person saying they wouldn't be seen dead in Tesco's.

Nick

Administrator
Playing devil's advocate here.

The supermarket may well support more jobs and have more customers than CCFC and thus be considered a more important part of the local economy and infrastructure. You may point out that people could use a different supermarket but for some that supermarket is vital due to an inability to travel far. At the same point they could say if you want to watch football you could go and watch Sphinx, Copsewood, Folly Lane etc. It's just brand loyalty which is no different to a Waitrose person saying they wouldn't be seen dead in Tesco's.

Really? There's another Aldi literally just down the road.

Are you really trying to say that copsewood would offer the same to the local economy than ccfc?

Are you on smack?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Really? There's another Aldi literally just down the road.

Are you really trying to say that copsewood would offer the same to the local economy than ccfc?

Are you on smack?

The point was if you're making the case about which is more important based around economics you have to base it on the number of jobs, rates etc the supermarket provides against those the football club do. I couldn't say for sure which would be the biggest as both provide jobs both themselves and in ancillary/support/supply chains. However you could argue the provision of food etc is more important than kicking a ball around, tempered by the availability of similar outlets nearby.

If you're basing the argument on availability in the local area, just as you argued that there is another supermarket just down the road and people could go there you can just as easily say there are other football clubs close by. The point is you want to watch that football in particular and even though you may say both are Aldi stores I visit supermarkets of the same name and I prefer some to others. I prefer the store layout. I find the service quicker. If necessary I could go to the other but given the choice I'd rather not.

With the Copsewood thing, you're not taking into account the infinite variability that COULD happen over time. 30 years ago if someone said do you think Aldi offers the same to the economy as Woolworths you'd have said of course not - not even close. Today...? If someone had said the computer games industry would be worth more TV/cinema they'd have been considered mad. Spotify would be more valuable than HMV. Google/Facebook/Twitter/Amazon would be major economic players. Who'd have thought in the 1880's a football team from a bicycle factory could attract tens of thousands of fans to games and be a massive part of the local entertainment economy?

Of course I'm not suggesting something like that would occur regarding the football and at best is very, very unlikely but professional football is very precariously balanced. Almost no club could be said to be 'secure'. So IF CCFC seized to exist in the future and Copsewood continued then just by existing Copsewood would offer more. If in that scenario CCFC fans wanting their 'footy fix' went to other local clubs instead, growing their fan bases, they could improve attracting more fans and snowballing. In another highly unlikely scenario who's to say someone from the local area made good that used to play for them may decide to invest some money allowing them to improve and as they did they invested a bit more to take them further and so on. They're very unlikely to happen but not beyond the realms of possibility. Just a few years ago we were at a point where relegation for us and promotion for them would have seen Solihull Moors being in a higher division than us the following year - who'd have imagined that even being possible when we were playing the likes of Man U and Liverpool week in week out? Never say Never.

As I said it was being devil's advocate. Really the council should be supporting both.

Nick

Administrator
The point was if you're making the case about which is more important based around economics you have to base it on the number of jobs, rates etc the supermarket provides against those the football club do. I couldn't say for sure which would be the biggest as both provide jobs both themselves and in ancillary/support/supply chains. However you could argue the provision of food etc is more important than kicking a ball around, tempered by the availability of similar outlets nearby.

If you're basing the argument on availability in the local area, just as you argued that there is another supermarket just down the road and people could go there you can just as easily say there are other football clubs close by. The point is you want to watch that football in particular and even though you may say both are Aldi stores I visit supermarkets of the same name and I prefer some to others. I prefer the store layout. I find the service quicker. If necessary I could go to the other but given the choice I'd rather not.

With the Copsewood thing, you're not taking into account the infinite variability that COULD happen over time. 30 years ago if someone said do you think Aldi offers the same to the economy as Woolworths you'd have said of course not - not even close. Today...? If someone had said the computer games industry would be worth more TV/cinema they'd have been considered mad. Spotify would be more valuable than HMV. Google/Facebook/Twitter/Amazon would be major economic players. Who'd have thought in the 1880's a football team from a bicycle factory could attract tens of thousands of fans to games and be a massive part of the local entertainment economy?

Of course I'm not suggesting something like that would occur regarding the football and at best is very, very unlikely but professional football is very precariously balanced. Almost no club could be said to be 'secure'. So IF CCFC seized to exist in the future and Copsewood continued then just by existing Copsewood would offer more. If in that scenario CCFC fans wanting their 'footy fix' went to other local clubs instead, growing their fan bases, they could improve attracting more fans and snowballing. In another highly unlikely scenario who's to say someone from the local area made good that used to play for them may decide to invest some money allowing them to improve and as they did they invested a bit more to take them further and so on. They're very unlikely to happen but not beyond the realms of possibility. Just a few years ago we were at a point where relegation for us and promotion for them would have seen Solihull Moors being in a higher division than us the following year - who'd have imagined that even being possible when we were playing the likes of Man U and Liverpool week in week out? Never say Never.

As I said it was being devil's advocate. Really the council should be supporting both.

You are suggesting that an Aldi being a mile from another upgraded Aldi is the same as replacing CCFC with Copsewood.

Now you are saying that in 30 years it might be different? OK then.

no_loyalty

Their proposed new owners have failed the EFL fit and proper test.

wingy

It's more about Wednesday but obviously had consequences for Charlton.
Pretty damning if all accurate.
And the idea that the punishment has to be early enough to overcome the punishment ,well?

fernandopartridge

Given the state of football finance I'd be surprised if many prospective owners for any clubs are fit and proper, as you'd need to have a screw loose or bad intentions to get involved.

wingy

Given the state of football finance I'd be surprised if many prospective owners for any clubs are fit and proper, as you'd need to have a screw loose or bad intentions to get involved.
And they've now announced they're going to appeal it but it looks like a different body to the one that handed it out.

Users who are viewing this thread