Charity direct debits (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Which ones do we all give to?

I joined Greenpeace recently, I signed one of those online petitions and ended up agreeing to pay a few quid a month.

Also pay to the Dog's Trust and Dr Kershaw's Hospice

Marty

Bumblebee conservation trust is the only charity I donate too regularly.

fellatio_Martinez

Macmillan.

Macmillan nurses help so many families and victims of cancer, without them dealing with the horrendous disease would be even harder and they deserve every penny they get.

Cats Protection.

Because cats are amazing and deserve special treatment.

Terry Gibson's perm

Down syndrome association and Birmingham Children’s hospital. I do amazon smile to the dsa as well

Mcbean

Regularly do air ambulance ( they are lifesavers for bikers) - have very little family so eventually some charities will be gifted my chattels - Dogs for the disabled , hearing dogs will be in there - I am amazed by what they can do

Astute

I don't do direct debits to charities anymore. Used to do several for small amounts. But each time they asked for more I cancelled. Ended up cancelling them all. The worse was when they would phone me up when asleep after a night shift.

I now just donate anonymously so they can't chase me for more.

But what pisses me off the most is the charities that spending up to half of what is raised on raising more money. So the more they raise the more they spend.

Fact check: how do charities spend your money?

clint van damme

I don't do direct debits to charities anymore. Used to do several for small amounts. But each time they asked for more I cancelled. Ended up cancelling them all. The worse was when they would phone me up when asleep after a night shift.

I now just donate anonymously so they can't chase me for more.

But what pisses me off the most is the charities that spending up to half of what is raised on raising more money. So the more they raise the more they spend.

Fact check: how do charities spend your money?

when you get in to the London marathon through the ballot you have to nominate 5 charities who' work you are interested in. Basically those charities try and get you to run for them.
4 of the charities got in touch asked if I was interested in running for them and I explained that I was doing it for Birmingham childrens hospital and that was that and I 'd get e-mails from them from time to time.

The other charity was WaterAid. Fuck me, they hassled me more than I've ever been hassled before, even after I'd ran the marathon they constantly rang me. In the end I went mad at one of them down the phone and told them to delete my details. I'm sure they do great work but giving people that much grief isn't going to endear them to your cause.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I don't donate to any on a regular basis. I'm a dog lover, so I will drop a couple of quid into collecting tins. Also Heart Foundation and Cancer charities get the odd handful of cash in their tins. I do a lot of browsing and spending in charity shops because that is a good way for them to raise revenue. One that really pisses me off, is the Salvation Amy advert. Most charities ask for a £2 or £3 donation, but they ask for £19 minimum! Sod that!

bringbackrattles

I don't donate to any on a regular basis. I'm a dog lover, so I will drop a couple of quid into collecting tins. Also Heart Foundation and Cancer charities get the odd handful of cash in their tins. I do a lot of browsing and spending in charity shops because that is a good way for them to raise revenue. One that really pisses me off, is the Salvation Amy advert. Most charities ask for a £2 or £3 donation, but they ask for £19 minimum! Sod that!
Same as me Houch. Always in charity shops as they've got a couple local to me. As one keeps football stuff for me I always give them a few more quid than what they ask for. And put loose change in shop tins. I used to send a postal order to one charity, every month, but they hassled for more and I had other charities contacting me. So stopped that as it was getting on my nerves.

Houchens Head

I ran a MacMillan's Coffee Morning recently, and was happy to send them just over £80, not a fortune - and it cost me £25 of my own to get the ball rolling - buying cake ingredients (I made 3), and donating my own cash into the box - and now I expect I will be hearing from them every year until I pop me clogs! I suppose I don't mind, as I've lost at least 4 very close friends - average age 40 - to that foul disease. It's just that it's bloody hard work arranging it all!

shmmeee

Used to do Shelter and a couple of others. For several reasons don’t agree with large charities any more. (Exec salaries and fundraising tactics mostly)

I pay my taxes gladly though, which is my actual moral duty instead of playing god with pound coins ;)

Houchens Head

There's a park local to me and for the past 6 or 7 months, a homeless guy has set himself up quite comfortably in one of the covered seating areas. He has a quilt, a barbeque for heating stuff up and he seems a decent bloke, in other words, he's not into drugs and alcohol. He's just fell on hard times. He always leaves his stuff tidy when he needs to go off somewhere, (wash, bog etc). Whenever he walks past me in the park, he always says "Good morning / afternoon." Me and the wife have decided that we're going to pay him a visit just before Christmas (around 23rd) and take him some things he would appreciate, like a few pairs of new socks, a shirt or two, a tin of Quality Street and anything else we can think of. Not looking for any sort of thanks, just hoping others might do something similar.

Astute

There's a park local to me and for the past 6 or 7 months, a homeless guy has set himself up quite comfortably in one of the covered seating areas. He has a quilt, a barbeque for heating stuff up and he seems a decent bloke, in other words, he's not into drugs and alcohol. He's just fell on hard times. He always leaves his stuff tidy when he needs to go off somewhere, (wash, bog etc). Whenever he walks past me in the park, he always says "Good morning / afternoon." Me and the wife have decided that we're going to pay him a visit just before Christmas (around 23rd) and take him some things he would appreciate, like a few pairs of new socks, a shirt or two, a tin of Quality Street and anything else we can think of. Not looking for any sort of thanks, just hoping others might do something similar.
You usually find out who the genuine homeless are when you buy them something like dinner or a nice hot cuppa on a cold day. The genuine are very thankful. The others sometimes sneer at you. I then slip the genuine a bit of money.

Have been on my arse before. Know what it is like. No job can't get a home. Can't get a home as you don't have a job. I was lucky. Lost everything to a woman. But had good friends and family behind me. Not everyone has that luxury. I was back on my feet in a very short time. But you never forget.

bringbackrattles

A few Polish blokes hang around the shops here in Bell Green. They dont cause trouble, never ask for cash, and don't bother you. But they like a drink and are always standing about with a can in hand. It's the age old argument of do you give them money, or walk past ? I've given money to beggars before, but stopped as it doesn't help them does it if Its going on a drink/ drug habit. These Polish blokes live in a garage at the back of the flats, heard there's rats and pigeons in there too. What a way to live !

shmmeee

A few Polish blokes hang around the shops here in Bell Green. They dont cause trouble, never ask for cash, and don't bother you. But they like a drink and are always standing about with a can in hand. It's the age old argument of do you give them money, or walk past ? I've given money to beggars before, but stopped as it doesn't help them does it if Its going on a drink/ drug habit. These Polish blokes live in a garage at the back of the flats, heard there's rats and pigeons in there too. What a way to live !

Got a couple of mate who are or have been homeless. Both give very short shrift to homeless people from other countries. I think moving country to beg is a bit off to be fair. Our poor don’t have the option of moving to a country with higher wages to be poor in.

bringbackrattles

A pretty young woman aged about mid twenties came up to me and a mate this morning in Riley square and asked for a cigarette. Both of us don't smoke so said sorry etc. She then asked for money for a couple of cans of lager. I thought why's an attractive looking woman living like that ? She then walked over to a couple of shoppers obviously tapping for money.

fellatio_Martinez

I'm usually quite good at blanking beggars when I'm sober but after a few drinks I'm prone to giving out a few quid. I gave a homeless old guy $20 in New York because he said he was desperate for a bottle of whiskey and a packet of cigarettes. I don't mind when they're honest. It's the c*nts who get in your face and ask for money for their sick mother etc that get nothing off me.

NorthernWisdom

I'm usually quite good at blanking beggars when I'm sober but after a few drinks I'm prone to giving out a few quid. I gave a homeless old guy $20 in New York because he said he was desperate for a bottle of whiskey and a packet of cigarettes. I don't mind when they're honest. It's the c*nts who get in your face and ask for money for their sick mother etc that get nothing off me.
Some bloke wanted a tenner for a train ticket because they'd got locked up the night before for being D&D, and he didn't have any money to get back to his hostel.

Seemed a refreshingly honest reason! Wasn't so sure about the slobbery kiss of thanks I got after I paid for his train fair, mind you.

rob9872

Do a few (lot of work for charity mate but dont wanna talk about it :)) but cancelled Great Ormond Street & NSPCC last year. Felt awful for doing so, but they obviously have marketing that tells them targeting their regular contributors is tried and trusted, but I got fed up with them hassling me for more. I warned both if they contacted me and asked for more again I'd cancel but they didnt listen, so I cancelled. My money but I felt so guilty and I guess they know tgat so they get away with it. I prefer to do bits for a lot rather than all to one, to so replaced them but still within my earnings % limit.

tommydazzle

Yes can't understand this constant hassling once you've signed up. It must be counterproductive. I DD World Wildlife Fund and they were constantly phoning to look for an increase. I donate to Woodland Trust, Children in Need, Amnesty sometimes, always buy a poppy, used to do Red Cross until I read that the Chief Exec was on £250,000 and local stuff. Kids are sorted so plan to leave dosh to deserving causes in my will.

I'm planning my own charity to help the congenitally deluded in Sunderland.

Terry Gibson's perm

Yes can't understand this constant hassling once you've signed up. It must be counterproductive. I DD World Wildlife Fund and they were constantly phoning to look for an increase. I donate to Woodland Trust, Children in Need, Amnesty sometimes, always buy a poppy, used to do Red Cross until I read that the Chief Exec was on £250,000 and local stuff. Kids are sorted so plan to leave dosh to deserving causes in my will.

I'm planning my own charity to help the congenitally deluded in Sunderland.

The high salaries they get are a real issue

Grappa

I read a book many years ago called 'the origins of virtue' by Matt Ridley (who later became the c**t who fucked up Northern Rock, but that's by the by). It's all about whether or not there is such a thing as 'true altruism'. He argued, convincingly enough for me, that there isn't. There is always something in return; fame, publicity, birthday honours, 'heaven', kudos etc etc.
The only way to prove Ridley not 100% correct is for me to say I give nothing to anyone or anything ever, and never will.

shmmeee

I read a book many years ago called 'the origins of virtue' by Matt Ridley (who later became the c**t who fucked up Northern Rock, but that's by the by). It's all about whether or not there is such a thing as 'true altruism'. He argued, convincingly enough for me, that there isn't. There is always something in return; fame, publicity, birthday honours, 'heaven', kudos etc etc.
The only way to prove Ridley not 100% correct is for me to say I give nothing to anyone or anything ever, and never will.

This is a fairly standard argument but problem is it’s not disprovable. Making it a faith based argument rather than a scientific one. You can’t ever prove what someone’s motivations were. For every example I might find that shows true altruism, you can posit a hypothetical that means it was really egotistical.

Users who are viewing this thread