CCFC V L/POOL 1978 (1 Viewer)

Bob Latchford

Coventry City 1 Liverpool 0 Feb 1978, great pic of the main stand in celebration of Mick Ferguson's goal. Who was the former CCFC manager who had his penalty saved for Liverpool that day ? -
C1FnjnpW8AAx149.jpg

oscillatewildly

Didn't go to this match - vividly recall being ill. Remember the fixture a couple of season's later with Paul Dyson's glancing header from a free kick winning the game.

Bob Latchford

Neal was the easy one but , can anyone name the no 8 , and the 3 players going towards Ferguson ? a huge Brucie Bonus if anyone can name the player on the far right of the picture

oscillatewildly

Is 8 Steve Hunt? Bobby Mc arms aloft then Tommy Hutch and then possibly Ray Gooding closing in. Can't think adequately (position considered) who that might be on the right.

Bob Latchford

My guess would be Wallace no 8 , Gooding , Hutch , Mcdonald . no Idea who far right player is .

Calista

Far right my guess is Ray Graydon
By a bit of cheating, I’ve looked up the No. 7 for that day and it was indeed Ray Graydon – if you got that from the photo alone it’s a great call.

What a fantastic combination of wingers that was – Hutch on on side and Graydon on the other, one tricky the other much more direct. With the formation we played that season (3-3-4), it must count as the most entertaining Sky Blues team ever.

Funnily enough I initially mistook 2nd left for Barry Powell – must be the tache!

Bob Latchford

Funnily enough I initially mistook 2nd left for Barry Powell – must be the tache!

You mistook Sir Hutch for Powell . for that offence , you should be forced to listen to Honey G for 24 hours non stop ! #SACRILEGE

rob9872

Didn't go to this match - vividly recall being ill. Remember the fixture a couple of season's later with Paul Dyson's glancing header from a free kick winning the game.

The Dyson header my first ever game. Sat on those couple of rows in front of the boxes at pitch level and still remember it like it was yesterday.

DazzleTommyDazzle

That was a great game. Jim Blyth had one of his best games for us as we bear the (then) all conquering Liverpool team with -effectively - 10 men. Harry Roberts was taken out by Souness and then Grayson pulled a hamstring (or something similar) and while he stayed on the pitch, he could only move about 5 yards either side of the halfway line.

DazzleTommyDazzle

By a bit of cheating, I’ve looked up the No. 7 for that day and it was indeed Ray Graydon – if you got that from the photo alone it’s a great call.

What a fantastic combination of wingers that was – Hutch on on side and Graydon on the other, one tricky the other much more direct. With the formation we played that season (3-3-4), it must count as the most entertaining Sky Blues team ever.

I'd agree abou the wingers, but that season we played 4-2-4 with (usually) Powell and Yorath in the middle.

Colin Steins Smile

That was a great game. Jim Blyth had one of his best games for us as we bear the (then) all conquering Liverpool team with -effectively - 10 men. Harry Roberts was taken out by Souness and then Grayson pulled a hamstring (or something similar) and while he stayed on the pitch, he could only move about 5 yards either side of the halfway line.
I was at this match too and Jim Blyth was world class . He stopped the penalty from Phil Neal by diving to his bottom left and stopped a shot from Liverpool sub , David Fairclough late on in front of the spion lop.
Ray Grayson was just nuisance value for part of the second half , but still managed to hold the ball up in front of the main stand on a couple of occasions.
I reckon it's tree trunk legs, Bobby McDonald with his arms in the air.

Calista

I'd agree abou the wingers, but that season we played 4-2-4 with (usually) Powell and Yorath in the middle.
Yes, but I recall that Gordon Milne's adventurous tactic (especially if the other team only had one winger) was to push one of the full backs into midfield, effectively making it 3-3-4? So we scored tons of goals but were wide open at the back. It was a crazy couple of seasons, because if we conceded we just seemed to throw even more men forward - it produced games like the 5-4 at home to Norwich. But we lost 6-0 at Everton playing like that, and 7-1 at West Brom doing the same thing the following year. I had the misfortune to be at both those games!

Bob Latchford

Just to go over the goal , didn't Ferguson lob Clemence as Clemence came out to catch the ball from a lumped ball into the box facing the West Terrace ? think JB saved the pen in front of the West Terrace too.

Bob Latchford

Of course it's Wallace! The rain that day flattened his afro making him look from the rear a little like erm, Steve Hunt.
Hope that's not rhyming slang ;)

DazzleTommyDazzle

Yes, but I recall that Gordon Milne's adventurous tactic (especially if the other team only had one winger) was to push one of the full backs into midfield, effectively making it 3-3-4? So we scored tons of goals but were wide open at the back. It was a crazy couple of seasons, because if we conceded we just seemed to throw even more men forward - it produced games like the 5-4 at home to Norwich. But we lost 6-0 at Everton playing like that, and 7-1 at West Brom doing the same thing the following year. I had the misfortune to be at both those games!
I wasn't at Everton but I was at West Brom. IIRC Jim Hilton got injured in the warm up so Terry Yorath played at centre half.
I remember it being a very open game. I think Fergie got our goal to make it 4-1 and I was convinced we could come back - oh, for those far off optimistic days....

DazzleTommyDazzle

Just to go over the goal , didn't Ferguson lob Clemence as Clemence came out to catch the ball from a lumped ball into the box facing the West Terrace ? think JB saved the pen in front of the West Terrace too.
I was in the West End that day and I'm sure that both the goal and the penalty save were at the Kop end.

But then my memory isn't as young as it used to be.

Bob Latchford

I was in the West End that day and I'm sure that both the goal and the penalty save were at the Kop end.

But then my memory isn't as young as it used to be.
To be fair , the goal may well have been the kop end but , the pen save was definitely the West End . JB low down to his left. [ I think ] ;)

Last edited:

Bob Latchford

No i'm incorrect . save -kop , goal - west end .

Captain Dart

Absolutely love the sound track to that snippet, starts with a scouser (probs. one of 'pool' players) saying "It was a depressing day for me" and kicks in to Ian Dury's "What a waste" one of my all time favourite songs.

Bob Latchford

Absolutely love the sound track to that snippet, starts with a scouser (probs. one of 'pool' players) saying "It was a depressing day for me" and kicks in to Ian Dury's "What a waste" one of my all time favourite songs.
Classic tune .

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I kept all of the Telegraph cuttings that year for all city matches. I recall the headlines across the inner back page on the Monday were something like "spectacle fit for a King" - with reference to a Saudi prince who was a guest at the game, and the performance level of the Sky Blues. Best city squad we ever had post Jimmy Hill.

Calista

I wasn't at Everton but I was at West Brom. IIRC Jim Hilton got injured in the warm up so Terry Yorath played at centre half.
I remember it being a very open game. I think Fergie got our goal to make it 4-1 and I was convinced we could come back - oh, for those far off optimistic days....

I remember having the exact same feeling when Fergie pulled a goal back that day - we had so much attacking threat that even coming back from four goals down didn’t seem unrealistic.

I’ve tried in vain to find any references to the 3-3-4 formation, but it can probably only be found in old copies of the “Pink”. Milne basically said, what’s the point in having two full backs when the other side doesn’t have two wingers, I’ll push one of them further forward to add to the midfield. Mostly it was great, but when it went wrong it went horribly wrong :)

Users who are viewing this thread